Re: New to List

  • mapmsmith2
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 5, 2008
      Thanks for the info. Will be my next PC/knitting project. Haven't
      written basic routines for many years except for visual basic with
      excel.

      I've been inactive on this list for a while, has anyone successfully
      communicated from PC to knitting machine directly. Seems like if you
      can write from the Brother disk to a CD via computer can the
      information be downloaded directly to the knitting machine bypassing
      the disk drive?

      Another question has anyone figure out a way of writing a pattern on
      a PC and writing in as a floppy disk to be able to import into the
      brother knitting machines?
      thanks Alice

      --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@...>
      wrote:

      > On Feb 4, 2008 2:47 PM, mapmsmith2 <mapmsmith2@...> wrote:
      > > Would be interested in copying my floppies on to CD if you can
      give
      > > me the instructions. Also back to floppies if possible, always
      > > worried about loosing the data on the disks since they are getting
      > > old. But will have to keep the disk reader as an interface I
      guess.
      > > Unless you can hook up a cd reader to the machines I guess.
      Thanks

      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 5, 2008
        On Feb 5, 2008 10:55 AM, mapmsmith2 <mapmsmith2@...> wrote:

        > Another question has anyone figure out a way of writing a pattern on
        > a PC and writing in as a floppy disk to be able to import into the
        > brother knitting machines?
        > thanks Alice

        Well, I've accessed sectors before, when I was working on deciphering
        the pattern format.

        But the work to decipher the pattern format itself is unknown at least
        outside of proprietary software vendors.

        You could make a backup/restore facility without knowing the pattern
        format, though. Reading/writing sectors is covered completely in the
        pdf.

        -- John.
      • i4getmyid
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008
          Is this what you mean?
          http://www.knitandsew.demon.nl/dk/fb100emu-en.htm

          They do excellent work. They made an emulator program that allowed me
          to bypass my dongle for the brother embroidery program.That was in the
          early years, when most people didn't see that the embroidery world
          going to dongles.

          Diane
        • i4getmyid
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008
            Just adding to the previous post....
            In message Message #8 of 138 , someone mentioned taking apart the
            bitknitter to see if we could do the same, that is, interface with the
            computer & machine without DAK.

            Has anyone examined the way the Passap people are doing it?
            They had Creation 6 in the beginning, which only ran on Dos...guess
            what they can't use anymore?

            Then came Wincrea, which was a shareware windows version of Creation 6,
            and used the same cable as C6.
            http://www.offthestreet.net/.....to download a shareware version of the
            program

            Another program is coming out for the passap, called, "Journal Six"
            http://passappal.com/
            You can get a demo of it there.
            This person earlier wrote a program on how to send information over to
            the machine, and has now included it in her new program.

            http://knitting.bikibird.com/CardReaderTechniques/Download/crt.html
            If anyone can help with getting the brother to communicate, it will be
            her! I don't know if she's been approached about our concerns.

            AT
            http://passappal.com/
            download the manual.
            She gives information on how to build a cable for interfacing.
            I know it's another set up, but if it can be done with one machine, it
            can be done on others.

            Diane
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008
              On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:06 AM, i4getmyid <i4getmyid@...> wrote:
              > Is this what you mean?
              > http://www.knitandsew.demon.nl/dk/fb100emu-en.htm

              Yep! I just conversed a bit with the author about it. Seems like good stuff.

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008

                We have the cable info on our site if you have any questions.

                Regards,

                Ed

                DesignaKnit USB cables & Cartridges

                Be sure to check out the BL7USB Cable for the Brother Disk Drive

                http://home.comcast.net/~kidoodles/

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 20, 2008
                  I've had the site bookmarked for a long time. I know that eventually, I
                  will get not only one cable, but two. I own a brother and a passap.

                  It's still interesting to figure out what is going on inside the
                  machines & programs.

                  I'm amazed that it took so long to make usb cables available to the
                  public. For YEARS, we have been holding on to old laptops, so we could
                  use the old cables. Usb converters gave unreliable results.

                  We are not a large part of the computer market, but we deserved better.

                  Paying for upgrades, new hardware is part of the game. But, paying for
                  upgrading to OLD tech is puzzling to me. New tech for Dak would be, to
                  me, wireless, not usb.
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 20, 2008

                    The cables now support the Stitch Painter format along with .pat, .bpt, .cst, cut, pcx, stc, sbr, and PC10 .dat files.  The cable/software will automatically convert them to Bother format and you can then extract them as .pat files for use with DAK.

                    Regards,

                    Sandy

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 21, 2008
                      I thought that Stitch Painter exported to dak, s90, and creation 6
                      already?

                      So, if a person owns just stitch painter, all they need is the cable to
                      send their design to the machine?
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 21, 2008

                        Yes, check out the slideshows at:

                        http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/fb100read/fb100read.htm

                        http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/fb100write/fb100write.htm

                        http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/addstc/addstc.htm

                        http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/addpat/addpat.htm

                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 23, 2008

                          If I have a BL5USB cable, then, does it convert formats?