Re: New to List

  • mapmsmith2
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 4, 2008
      Would be interested in copying my floppies on to CD if you can give
      me the instructions. Also back to floppies if possible, always
      worried about loosing the data on the disks since they are getting
      old. But will have to keep the disk reader as an interface I guess.
      Unless you can hook up a cd reader to the machines I guess. Thanks
      Alice

      --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@...>
      wrote:

      > On 9/19/07, Maggie <brue@...> wrote:
      > > Thanks so much for the website - its exactly what I was looking
      for!
      > > A friend of mine told me about them - they are advertised in the
      UK

      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 4, 2008
        On Feb 4, 2008 2:47 PM, mapmsmith2 <mapmsmith2@...> wrote:
        > Would be interested in copying my floppies on to CD if you can give
        > me the instructions. Also back to floppies if possible, always
        > worried about loosing the data on the disks since they are getting
        > old. But will have to keep the disk reader as an interface I guess.
        > Unless you can hook up a cd reader to the machines I guess. Thanks
        > Alice

        Well it can be done, it isn't hard but it requires writing a program.
        The command sequences for the "FDC" or "floppy disk controller" mode
        are described in

        Files->PDF->m100disksm.pdf

        Also you need a cable to connect the drive to PC serial port.

        -- John.
      • mapmsmith2
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 5, 2008
          Thanks for the info. Will be my next PC/knitting project. Haven't
          written basic routines for many years except for visual basic with
          excel.

          I've been inactive on this list for a while, has anyone successfully
          communicated from PC to knitting machine directly. Seems like if you
          can write from the Brother disk to a CD via computer can the
          information be downloaded directly to the knitting machine bypassing
          the disk drive?

          Another question has anyone figure out a way of writing a pattern on
          a PC and writing in as a floppy disk to be able to import into the
          brother knitting machines?

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 5, 2008
            On Feb 5, 2008 10:55 AM, mapmsmith2 <mapmsmith2@...> wrote:

            > Another question has anyone figure out a way of writing a pattern on
            > a PC and writing in as a floppy disk to be able to import into the
            > brother knitting machines?
            > thanks Alice

            Well, I've accessed sectors before, when I was working on deciphering
            the pattern format.

            But the work to decipher the pattern format itself is unknown at least
            outside of proprietary software vendors.

            You could make a backup/restore facility without knowing the pattern
            format, though. Reading/writing sectors is covered completely in the
            pdf.

            -- John.
          • i4getmyid
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008
              Is this what you mean?
              http://www.knitandsew.demon.nl/dk/fb100emu-en.htm

              They do excellent work. They made an emulator program that allowed me
              to bypass my dongle for the brother embroidery program.That was in the
              early years, when most people didn't see that the embroidery world
              going to dongles.

              Diane
            • i4getmyid
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008
                Just adding to the previous post....
                In message Message #8 of 138 , someone mentioned taking apart the
                bitknitter to see if we could do the same, that is, interface with the
                computer & machine without DAK.

                Has anyone examined the way the Passap people are doing it?
                They had Creation 6 in the beginning, which only ran on Dos...guess
                what they can't use anymore?

                Then came Wincrea, which was a shareware windows version of Creation 6,
                and used the same cable as C6.
                http://www.offthestreet.net/.....to download a shareware version of the
                program

                Another program is coming out for the passap, called, "Journal Six"
                http://passappal.com/
                You can get a demo of it there.
                This person earlier wrote a program on how to send information over to
                the machine, and has now included it in her new program.

                http://knitting.bikibird.com/CardReaderTechniques/Download/crt.html
                If anyone can help with getting the brother to communicate, it will be
                her! I don't know if she's been approached about our concerns.

                AT
                http://passappal.com/
                download the manual.
                She gives information on how to build a cable for interfacing.
                I know it's another set up, but if it can be done with one machine, it
                can be done on others.

                Diane
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008
                  On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:06 AM, i4getmyid <i4getmyid@...> wrote:
                  > Is this what you mean?
                  > http://www.knitandsew.demon.nl/dk/fb100emu-en.htm

                  Yep! I just conversed a bit with the author about it. Seems like good stuff.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008

                    We have the cable info on our site if you have any questions.

                    Regards,

                    Ed

                    DesignaKnit USB cables & Cartridges

                    Be sure to check out the BL7USB Cable for the Brother Disk Drive

                    http://home.comcast.net/~kidoodles/

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 20, 2008
                      I've had the site bookmarked for a long time. I know that eventually, I
                      will get not only one cable, but two. I own a brother and a passap.

                      It's still interesting to figure out what is going on inside the
                      machines & programs.

                      I'm amazed that it took so long to make usb cables available to the
                      public. For YEARS, we have been holding on to old laptops, so we could
                      use the old cables. Usb converters gave unreliable results.

                      We are not a large part of the computer market, but we deserved better.

                      Paying for upgrades, new hardware is part of the game. But, paying for
                      upgrading to OLD tech is puzzling to me. New tech for Dak would be, to
                      me, wireless, not usb.
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 20, 2008

                        The cables now support the Stitch Painter format along with .pat, .bpt, .cst, cut, pcx, stc, sbr, and PC10 .dat files.  The cable/software will automatically convert them to Bother format and you can then extract them as .pat files for use with DAK.

                        Regards,

                        Sandy

                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 21, 2008
                          I thought that Stitch Painter exported to dak, s90, and creation 6
                          already?

                          So, if a person owns just stitch painter, all they need is the cable to
                          send their design to the machine?
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 21, 2008

                            Yes, check out the slideshows at:

                            http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/fb100read/fb100read.htm

                            http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/fb100write/fb100write.htm

                            http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/addstc/addstc.htm

                            http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/addpat/addpat.htm

                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 23, 2008

                              If I have a BL5USB cable, then, does it convert formats?