Re: [kminternals] Re: New to List

    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 19, 2007
      On 9/19/07, Maggie <brue@...> wrote:
      > Thanks so much for the website - its exactly what I was looking for!
      > A friend of mine told me about them - they are advertised in the UK
      > and becomming popular but she doesnt have a machine any longer so
      > has not tested it.
      > Has anyone here on the list every used one of these? They sound
      > great and PC compatible too:) downside is they dont take the
      > floppies so I would have to find a way of converting them (
      > manually). My floppy disk drive is just about dying so I think I
      > may need this as a replacement.
      >
      > Thanks again for the url - great find:)
      > Maggie

      I know enough about the disk drives to transfer raw data to other
      media (CD) if that helps.

      It's just a small matter of having a description of the file format to
      convert to :-)

      BTW, FB100 drives are usually repairable.. I've repaired mine in the past.

      -- John.
    • mapmsmith2
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 4, 2008
        Would be interested in copying my floppies on to CD if you can give
        me the instructions. Also back to floppies if possible, always
        worried about loosing the data on the disks since they are getting
        old. But will have to keep the disk reader as an interface I guess.
        Unless you can hook up a cd reader to the machines I guess. Thanks
        Alice

        --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@...>

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 4, 2008
          On Feb 4, 2008 2:47 PM, mapmsmith2 <mapmsmith2@...> wrote:
          > Would be interested in copying my floppies on to CD if you can give
          > me the instructions. Also back to floppies if possible, always
          > worried about loosing the data on the disks since they are getting
          > old. But will have to keep the disk reader as an interface I guess.
          > Unless you can hook up a cd reader to the machines I guess. Thanks
          > Alice

          Well it can be done, it isn't hard but it requires writing a program.
          The command sequences for the "FDC" or "floppy disk controller" mode
          are described in

          Files->PDF->m100disksm.pdf

          Also you need a cable to connect the drive to PC serial port.

          -- John.
        • mapmsmith2
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 5, 2008
            Thanks for the info. Will be my next PC/knitting project. Haven't
            written basic routines for many years except for visual basic with
            excel.

            I've been inactive on this list for a while, has anyone successfully
            communicated from PC to knitting machine directly. Seems like if you
            can write from the Brother disk to a CD via computer can the
            information be downloaded directly to the knitting machine bypassing
            the disk drive?

            Another question has anyone figure out a way of writing a pattern on
            a PC and writing in as a floppy disk to be able to import into the
            brother knitting machines?

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 5, 2008
              On Feb 5, 2008 10:55 AM, mapmsmith2 <mapmsmith2@...> wrote:

              > Another question has anyone figure out a way of writing a pattern on
              > a PC and writing in as a floppy disk to be able to import into the
              > brother knitting machines?
              > thanks Alice

              Well, I've accessed sectors before, when I was working on deciphering
              the pattern format.

              But the work to decipher the pattern format itself is unknown at least
              outside of proprietary software vendors.

              You could make a backup/restore facility without knowing the pattern
              format, though. Reading/writing sectors is covered completely in the
              pdf.

              -- John.
            • i4getmyid
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008
                Is this what you mean?
                http://www.knitandsew.demon.nl/dk/fb100emu-en.htm

                They do excellent work. They made an emulator program that allowed me
                to bypass my dongle for the brother embroidery program.That was in the
                early years, when most people didn't see that the embroidery world
                going to dongles.

                Diane
              • i4getmyid
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008
                  Just adding to the previous post....
                  In message Message #8 of 138 , someone mentioned taking apart the
                  bitknitter to see if we could do the same, that is, interface with the
                  computer & machine without DAK.

                  Has anyone examined the way the Passap people are doing it?
                  They had Creation 6 in the beginning, which only ran on Dos...guess
                  what they can't use anymore?

                  Then came Wincrea, which was a shareware windows version of Creation 6,
                  and used the same cable as C6.
                  http://www.offthestreet.net/.....to download a shareware version of the
                  program

                  Another program is coming out for the passap, called, "Journal Six"
                  http://passappal.com/
                  You can get a demo of it there.
                  This person earlier wrote a program on how to send information over to
                  the machine, and has now included it in her new program.

                  http://knitting.bikibird.com/CardReaderTechniques/Download/crt.html
                  If anyone can help with getting the brother to communicate, it will be
                  her! I don't know if she's been approached about our concerns.

                  AT
                  http://passappal.com/
                  download the manual.
                  She gives information on how to build a cable for interfacing.
                  I know it's another set up, but if it can be done with one machine, it
                  can be done on others.

                  Diane
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008
                    On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:06 AM, i4getmyid <i4getmyid@...> wrote:
                    > Is this what you mean?
                    > http://www.knitandsew.demon.nl/dk/fb100emu-en.htm

                    Yep! I just conversed a bit with the author about it. Seems like good stuff.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008

                      We have the cable info on our site if you have any questions.

                      Regards,

                      Ed

                      DesignaKnit USB cables & Cartridges

                      Be sure to check out the BL7USB Cable for the Brother Disk Drive

                      http://home.comcast.net/~kidoodles/

                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 20, 2008
                        I've had the site bookmarked for a long time. I know that eventually, I
                        will get not only one cable, but two. I own a brother and a passap.

                        It's still interesting to figure out what is going on inside the
                        machines & programs.

                        I'm amazed that it took so long to make usb cables available to the
                        public. For YEARS, we have been holding on to old laptops, so we could
                        use the old cables. Usb converters gave unreliable results.

                        We are not a large part of the computer market, but we deserved better.

                        Paying for upgrades, new hardware is part of the game. But, paying for
                        upgrading to OLD tech is puzzling to me. New tech for Dak would be, to
                        me, wireless, not usb.
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 20, 2008

                          The cables now support the Stitch Painter format along with .pat, .bpt, .cst, cut, pcx, stc, sbr, and PC10 .dat files.  The cable/software will automatically convert them to Bother format and you can then extract them as .pat files for use with DAK.

                          Regards,

                          Sandy

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 21, 2008
                            I thought that Stitch Painter exported to dak, s90, and creation 6
                            already?

                            So, if a person owns just stitch painter, all they need is the cable to
                            send their design to the machine?
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 21, 2008

                              Yes, check out the slideshows at:

                              http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/fb100read/fb100read.htm

                              http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/fb100write/fb100write.htm

                              http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/addstc/addstc.htm

                              http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/addpat/addpat.htm

                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 23, 2008

                                If I have a BL5USB cable, then, does it convert formats?