RE: [kminternals] Re: New to List

    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 17, 2007
      I think this is what you want
      http://www.breistudioritadejong.nl/prijzen_software.htm

      From: kminternals@yahoogroups.com [mailto:kminternals@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Maggie
      Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2007 11:52 PM
      To: kminternals@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [kminternals] Re: New to List

      Hi John
      Thanks for the reply - but the product that I am asking about is
      called 'Cartridge' and I was wondering if anyone on the list has
      seen/tried one?
      I understand the confusion with the PDD ( that's what I thought my
      friend was talking about too!).
      When 'Cartridge' is inserted in the PPD 120, it behaves as a Brother
      cartrdige and you can transfer patterns (tracks) between the PPD and
      the 940 and also from the 940 to the PPD. So far nothing new.

      When you take 'Cartridge' out of the PPD and hook it up via USB to
      your computer,you can transfer tracks from 'Cartridge' to the PC and
      also from the PC to Cartrdige. Your PC acts as (intelligent) floppy
      drive.
      The intelligence is in the fact that you can compose a track on the
      PC and also split a track on the PC (software is delivered with
      Cartridge).
      There is also some other functionality in the driver program like
      browsing designs.

      I am assuming that the OS must now be Windows compatible or at
      least have a mapping table for the Brother >PC link, but am still
      really at a loss as to how the thing works. Anyone here ever seen
      or used one of these?

      Maggie

      --- In kminternals@ yahoogroups. com, "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@...>

      Maggie <brue@...> wrote:
      > > Hi all
      > > I am new to the
      list, would like to know if anyone here has ever
      > > used/heard of the
      'cartridge' accessory? I have a friend that
      heard
      > > about one,
      sound like its a floopy drive but converts the brother
      > > FB100 format
      into a windows os via a USB? We think it may be a
      > > European product
      ( Dutch?) but not sure about that.
      > > I would love to have more
      information but dont seem to able to
      track
      > > down any information
      at all on it. Would be really grateful if
      > > someone on this list
      could point me in the right direction.

      > > Kind
      regards,
      > > Maggie
      > >

      > Are you talking about
      a pattern computer? These are units that
      connect
      > to a TV. You can
      load cartridges into it with patterns or design
      your
      > own pattern on
      screen. It emulates the Brother FB100 "Floppy Disk
      > Controller Emulation
      Mode" sufficiently that you can connect it to
      the
      > KM and load
      patterns to/from the KM memory. I have a Knitking
      pattern

      computer.

      > They are not usb or windows compatible.
      >
      > Software like DesignaKnit basically does the same function as
      the
      > pattern computer.
      >
      > --
      John.

      MSGTAG MSGTAG has notified the sender that this message has been read.
    • Maggie
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 19, 2007
        Thanks so much for the website - its exactly what I was looking for!
        A friend of mine told me about them - they are advertised in the UK
        and becomming popular but she doesnt have a machine any longer so
        has not tested it.
        Has anyone here on the list every used one of these? They sound
        great and PC compatible too:) downside is they dont take the
        floppies so I would have to find a way of converting them (
        manually). My floppy disk drive is just about dying so I think I
        may need this as a replacement.

        Thanks again for the url - great find:)
        Maggie

        --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, "Kidoodles3" <Kidoodles3@...>

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 19, 2007
          On 9/19/07, Maggie <brue@...> wrote:
          > Thanks so much for the website - its exactly what I was looking for!
          > A friend of mine told me about them - they are advertised in the UK
          > and becomming popular but she doesnt have a machine any longer so
          > has not tested it.
          > Has anyone here on the list every used one of these? They sound
          > great and PC compatible too:) downside is they dont take the
          > floppies so I would have to find a way of converting them (
          > manually). My floppy disk drive is just about dying so I think I
          > may need this as a replacement.
          >
          > Thanks again for the url - great find:)
          > Maggie

          I know enough about the disk drives to transfer raw data to other
          media (CD) if that helps.

          It's just a small matter of having a description of the file format to
          convert to :-)

          BTW, FB100 drives are usually repairable.. I've repaired mine in the past.

          -- John.
        • mapmsmith2
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 4, 2008
            Would be interested in copying my floppies on to CD if you can give
            me the instructions. Also back to floppies if possible, always
            worried about loosing the data on the disks since they are getting
            old. But will have to keep the disk reader as an interface I guess.
            Unless you can hook up a cd reader to the machines I guess. Thanks
            Alice

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 4, 2008
              On Feb 4, 2008 2:47 PM, mapmsmith2 <mapmsmith2@...> wrote:
              > Would be interested in copying my floppies on to CD if you can give
              > me the instructions. Also back to floppies if possible, always
              > worried about loosing the data on the disks since they are getting
              > old. But will have to keep the disk reader as an interface I guess.
              > Unless you can hook up a cd reader to the machines I guess. Thanks
              > Alice

              Well it can be done, it isn't hard but it requires writing a program.
              The command sequences for the "FDC" or "floppy disk controller" mode
              are described in

              Files->PDF->m100disksm.pdf

              Also you need a cable to connect the drive to PC serial port.

              -- John.
            • mapmsmith2
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 5, 2008
                Thanks for the info. Will be my next PC/knitting project. Haven't
                written basic routines for many years except for visual basic with
                excel.

                I've been inactive on this list for a while, has anyone successfully
                communicated from PC to knitting machine directly. Seems like if you
                can write from the Brother disk to a CD via computer can the
                information be downloaded directly to the knitting machine bypassing
                the disk drive?

                Another question has anyone figure out a way of writing a pattern on
                a PC and writing in as a floppy disk to be able to import into the
                brother knitting machines?
                thanks Alice

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 5, 2008
                  On Feb 5, 2008 10:55 AM, mapmsmith2 <mapmsmith2@...> wrote:

                  > Another question has anyone figure out a way of writing a pattern on
                  > a PC and writing in as a floppy disk to be able to import into the
                  > brother knitting machines?
                  > thanks Alice

                  Well, I've accessed sectors before, when I was working on deciphering
                  the pattern format.

                  But the work to decipher the pattern format itself is unknown at least
                  outside of proprietary software vendors.

                  You could make a backup/restore facility without knowing the pattern
                  format, though. Reading/writing sectors is covered completely in the
                  pdf.

                  -- John.
                • i4getmyid
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008
                    Is this what you mean?
                    http://www.knitandsew.demon.nl/dk/fb100emu-en.htm

                    They do excellent work. They made an emulator program that allowed me
                    to bypass my dongle for the brother embroidery program.That was in the
                    early years, when most people didn't see that the embroidery world
                    going to dongles.

                    Diane
                  • i4getmyid
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008
                      Just adding to the previous post....
                      In message Message #8 of 138 , someone mentioned taking apart the
                      bitknitter to see if we could do the same, that is, interface with the
                      computer & machine without DAK.

                      Has anyone examined the way the Passap people are doing it?
                      They had Creation 6 in the beginning, which only ran on Dos...guess
                      what they can't use anymore?

                      Then came Wincrea, which was a shareware windows version of Creation 6,
                      and used the same cable as C6.
                      http://www.offthestreet.net/.....to download a shareware version of the
                      program

                      Another program is coming out for the passap, called, "Journal Six"
                      http://passappal.com/
                      You can get a demo of it there.
                      This person earlier wrote a program on how to send information over to
                      the machine, and has now included it in her new program.

                      http://knitting.bikibird.com/CardReaderTechniques/Download/crt.html
                      If anyone can help with getting the brother to communicate, it will be
                      her! I don't know if she's been approached about our concerns.

                      AT
                      http://passappal.com/
                      download the manual.
                      She gives information on how to build a cable for interfacing.
                      I know it's another set up, but if it can be done with one machine, it
                      can be done on others.

                      Diane
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008
                        On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:06 AM, i4getmyid <i4getmyid@...> wrote:
                        > Is this what you mean?
                        > http://www.knitandsew.demon.nl/dk/fb100emu-en.htm

                        Yep! I just conversed a bit with the author about it. Seems like good stuff.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008

                          We have the cable info on our site if you have any questions.

                          Regards,

                          Ed

                          DesignaKnit USB cables & Cartridges

                          Be sure to check out the BL7USB Cable for the Brother Disk Drive

                          http://home.comcast.net/~kidoodles/

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 20, 2008
                            I've had the site bookmarked for a long time. I know that eventually, I
                            will get not only one cable, but two. I own a brother and a passap.

                            It's still interesting to figure out what is going on inside the
                            machines & programs.

                            I'm amazed that it took so long to make usb cables available to the
                            public. For YEARS, we have been holding on to old laptops, so we could
                            use the old cables. Usb converters gave unreliable results.

                            We are not a large part of the computer market, but we deserved better.

                            Paying for upgrades, new hardware is part of the game. But, paying for
                            upgrading to OLD tech is puzzling to me. New tech for Dak would be, to
                            me, wireless, not usb.
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 20, 2008

                              The cables now support the Stitch Painter format along with .pat, .bpt, .cst, cut, pcx, stc, sbr, and PC10 .dat files.  The cable/software will automatically convert them to Bother format and you can then extract them as .pat files for use with DAK.

                              Regards,

                              Sandy

                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 21, 2008
                                I thought that Stitch Painter exported to dak, s90, and creation 6
                                already?

                                So, if a person owns just stitch painter, all they need is the cable to
                                send their design to the machine?
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 21, 2008

                                  Yes, check out the slideshows at:

                                  http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/fb100read/fb100read.htm

                                  http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/fb100write/fb100write.htm

                                  http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/addstc/addstc.htm

                                  http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/addpat/addpat.htm

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 23, 2008

                                    If I have a BL5USB cable, then, does it convert formats?