Re: New to List

  • Maggie
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 16, 2007
      Hi John
      Thanks for the reply - but the product that I am asking about is
      called 'Cartridge' and I was wondering if anyone on the list has
      seen/tried one?
      I understand the confusion with the PDD ( that's what I thought my
      friend was talking about too!).
      When 'Cartridge' is inserted in the PPD 120, it behaves as a Brother
      cartrdige and you can transfer patterns (tracks) between the PPD and
      the 940 and also from the 940 to the PPD. So far nothing new.

      When you take 'Cartridge' out of the PPD and hook it up via USB to
      your computer,you can transfer tracks from 'Cartridge' to the PC and
      also from the PC to Cartrdige. Your PC acts as (intelligent) floppy
      drive.
      The intelligence is in the fact that you can compose a track on the
      PC and also split a track on the PC (software is delivered with
      Cartridge).
      There is also some other functionality in the driver program like
      browsing designs.

      I am assuming that the OS must now be Windows compatible or at
      least have a mapping table for the Brother >PC link, but am still
      really at a loss as to how the thing works. Anyone here ever seen
      or used one of these?

      Maggie

      --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@...>

      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 17, 2007
        I think this is what you want
        http://www.breistudioritadejong.nl/prijzen_software.htm

        Maggie <brue@...> wrote:
        > > Hi all
        > > I am new to the
        list, would like to know if anyone here has ever
        > > used/heard of the
        'cartridge' accessory? I have a friend that
        heard
        > > about one,
        sound like its a floopy drive but converts the brother
        > > FB100 format
        into a windows os via a USB? We think it may be a
        > > European product
        ( Dutch?) but not sure about that.
        > > I would love to have more
        information but dont seem to able to
        track
        > > down any information
        at all on it. Would be really grateful if
        > > someone on this list
        could point me in the right direction.

        > > Kind
        regards,
        > > Maggie
        > >

        > Are you talking about
        a pattern computer? These are units that
        connect
        > to a TV. You can
        load cartridges into it with patterns or design
        your
        > own pattern on
        screen. It emulates the Brother FB100 "Floppy Disk
        > Controller Emulation
        Mode" sufficiently that you can connect it to
        the
        > KM and load
        patterns to/from the KM memory. I have a Knitking
        pattern

        computer.

        > They are not usb or windows compatible.
        >
        > Software like DesignaKnit basically does the same function as
        the
        > pattern computer.
        >
        > --
        John.

        MSGTAG MSGTAG has notified the sender that this message has been read.
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 17, 2007

          Maggie <brue@...> wrote:
          > > Hi all
          > > I am new to the
          list, would like to know if anyone here has ever
          > > used/heard of the
          'cartridge' accessory? I have a friend that
          heard
          > > about one,
          sound like its a floopy drive but converts the brother
          > > FB100 format
          into a windows os via a USB? We think it may be a
          > > European product
          ( Dutch?) but not sure about that.
          > > I would love to have more
          information but dont seem to able to
          track
          > > down any information
          at all on it. Would be really grateful if
          > > someone on this list
          could point me in the right direction.

          > > Kind
          regards,

          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 19, 2007
            Thanks so much for the website - its exactly what I was looking for!
            A friend of mine told me about them - they are advertised in the UK
            and becomming popular but she doesnt have a machine any longer so
            has not tested it.
            Has anyone here on the list every used one of these? They sound
            great and PC compatible too:) downside is they dont take the
            floppies so I would have to find a way of converting them (
            manually). My floppy disk drive is just about dying so I think I
            may need this as a replacement.

            Thanks again for the url - great find:)
            Maggie

            --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, "Kidoodles3" <Kidoodles3@...>

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 19, 2007
              On 9/19/07, Maggie <brue@...> wrote:
              > Thanks so much for the website - its exactly what I was looking for!
              > A friend of mine told me about them - they are advertised in the UK
              > and becomming popular but she doesnt have a machine any longer so
              > has not tested it.
              > Has anyone here on the list every used one of these? They sound
              > great and PC compatible too:) downside is they dont take the
              > floppies so I would have to find a way of converting them (
              > manually). My floppy disk drive is just about dying so I think I
              > may need this as a replacement.
              >
              > Thanks again for the url - great find:)
              > Maggie

              I know enough about the disk drives to transfer raw data to other
              media (CD) if that helps.

              It's just a small matter of having a description of the file format to
              convert to :-)

              BTW, FB100 drives are usually repairable.. I've repaired mine in the past.

              -- John.
            • mapmsmith2
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 4, 2008
                Would be interested in copying my floppies on to CD if you can give
                me the instructions. Also back to floppies if possible, always
                worried about loosing the data on the disks since they are getting
                old. But will have to keep the disk reader as an interface I guess.
                Unless you can hook up a cd reader to the machines I guess. Thanks
                Alice

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 4, 2008
                  On Feb 4, 2008 2:47 PM, mapmsmith2 <mapmsmith2@...> wrote:
                  > Would be interested in copying my floppies on to CD if you can give
                  > me the instructions. Also back to floppies if possible, always
                  > worried about loosing the data on the disks since they are getting
                  > old. But will have to keep the disk reader as an interface I guess.
                  > Unless you can hook up a cd reader to the machines I guess. Thanks
                  > Alice

                  Well it can be done, it isn't hard but it requires writing a program.
                  The command sequences for the "FDC" or "floppy disk controller" mode
                  are described in

                  Files->PDF->m100disksm.pdf

                  Also you need a cable to connect the drive to PC serial port.

                  -- John.
                • mapmsmith2
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 5, 2008
                    Thanks for the info. Will be my next PC/knitting project. Haven't
                    written basic routines for many years except for visual basic with
                    excel.

                    I've been inactive on this list for a while, has anyone successfully
                    communicated from PC to knitting machine directly. Seems like if you
                    can write from the Brother disk to a CD via computer can the
                    information be downloaded directly to the knitting machine bypassing
                    the disk drive?

                    Another question has anyone figure out a way of writing a pattern on
                    a PC and writing in as a floppy disk to be able to import into the
                    brother knitting machines?
                    thanks Alice

                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 5, 2008
                      On Feb 5, 2008 10:55 AM, mapmsmith2 <mapmsmith2@...> wrote:

                      > Another question has anyone figure out a way of writing a pattern on
                      > a PC and writing in as a floppy disk to be able to import into the
                      > brother knitting machines?
                      > thanks Alice

                      Well, I've accessed sectors before, when I was working on deciphering
                      the pattern format.

                      But the work to decipher the pattern format itself is unknown at least
                      outside of proprietary software vendors.

                      You could make a backup/restore facility without knowing the pattern
                      format, though. Reading/writing sectors is covered completely in the
                      pdf.

                      -- John.
                    • i4getmyid
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008
                        Is this what you mean?
                        http://www.knitandsew.demon.nl/dk/fb100emu-en.htm

                        They do excellent work. They made an emulator program that allowed me
                        to bypass my dongle for the brother embroidery program.That was in the
                        early years, when most people didn't see that the embroidery world
                        going to dongles.

                        Diane
                      • i4getmyid
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008
                          Just adding to the previous post....
                          In message Message #8 of 138 , someone mentioned taking apart the
                          bitknitter to see if we could do the same, that is, interface with the
                          computer & machine without DAK.

                          Has anyone examined the way the Passap people are doing it?
                          They had Creation 6 in the beginning, which only ran on Dos...guess
                          what they can't use anymore?

                          Then came Wincrea, which was a shareware windows version of Creation 6,
                          and used the same cable as C6.
                          http://www.offthestreet.net/.....to download a shareware version of the
                          program

                          Another program is coming out for the passap, called, "Journal Six"
                          http://passappal.com/
                          You can get a demo of it there.
                          This person earlier wrote a program on how to send information over to
                          the machine, and has now included it in her new program.

                          http://knitting.bikibird.com/CardReaderTechniques/Download/crt.html
                          If anyone can help with getting the brother to communicate, it will be
                          her! I don't know if she's been approached about our concerns.

                          AT
                          http://passappal.com/
                          download the manual.
                          She gives information on how to build a cable for interfacing.
                          I know it's another set up, but if it can be done with one machine, it
                          can be done on others.

                          Diane
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008
                            On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:06 AM, i4getmyid <i4getmyid@...> wrote:
                            > Is this what you mean?
                            > http://www.knitandsew.demon.nl/dk/fb100emu-en.htm

                            Yep! I just conversed a bit with the author about it. Seems like good stuff.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 18, 2008

                              We have the cable info on our site if you have any questions.

                              Regards,

                              Ed

                              DesignaKnit USB cables & Cartridges

                              Be sure to check out the BL7USB Cable for the Brother Disk Drive

                              http://home.comcast.net/~kidoodles/

                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 20, 2008
                                I've had the site bookmarked for a long time. I know that eventually, I
                                will get not only one cable, but two. I own a brother and a passap.

                                It's still interesting to figure out what is going on inside the
                                machines & programs.

                                I'm amazed that it took so long to make usb cables available to the
                                public. For YEARS, we have been holding on to old laptops, so we could
                                use the old cables. Usb converters gave unreliable results.

                                We are not a large part of the computer market, but we deserved better.

                                Paying for upgrades, new hardware is part of the game. But, paying for
                                upgrading to OLD tech is puzzling to me. New tech for Dak would be, to
                                me, wireless, not usb.
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 20, 2008

                                  The cables now support the Stitch Painter format along with .pat, .bpt, .cst, cut, pcx, stc, sbr, and PC10 .dat files.  The cable/software will automatically convert them to Bother format and you can then extract them as .pat files for use with DAK.

                                  Regards,

                                  Sandy

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 21, 2008
                                    I thought that Stitch Painter exported to dak, s90, and creation 6
                                    already?

                                    So, if a person owns just stitch painter, all they need is the cable to
                                    send their design to the machine?
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 21, 2008

                                      Yes, check out the slideshows at:

                                      http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/fb100read/fb100read.htm

                                      http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/fb100write/fb100write.htm

                                      http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/addstc/addstc.htm

                                      http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/addpat/addpat.htm

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 23, 2008

                                        If I have a BL5USB cable, then, does it convert formats?