Re: [kminternals] New to List

    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 11 10:21 PM
      On 9/11/07, Maggie <brue@...> wrote:
      > Hi all
      > I am new to the list, would like to know if anyone here has ever
      > used/heard of the 'cartridge' accessory? I have a friend that heard
      > about one, sound like its a floopy drive but converts the brother
      > FB100 format into a windows os via a USB? We think it may be a
      > European product ( Dutch?) but not sure about that.
      > I would love to have more information but dont seem to able to track
      > down any information at all on it. Would be really grateful if
      > someone on this list could point me in the right direction.
      >
      > Kind regards,
      > Maggie

      Are you talking about a pattern computer? These are units that connect
      to a TV. You can load cartridges into it with patterns or design your
      own pattern on screen. It emulates the Brother FB100 "Floppy Disk
      Controller Emulation Mode" sufficiently that you can connect it to the
      KM and load patterns to/from the KM memory. I have a Knitking pattern
      computer.

      They are not usb or windows compatible.

      Software like DesignaKnit basically does the same function as the
      pattern computer.

      -- John.
    • Maggie
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 16 8:51 PM
        Hi John
        Thanks for the reply - but the product that I am asking about is
        called 'Cartridge' and I was wondering if anyone on the list has
        seen/tried one?
        I understand the confusion with the PDD ( that's what I thought my
        friend was talking about too!).
        When 'Cartridge' is inserted in the PPD 120, it behaves as a Brother
        cartrdige and you can transfer patterns (tracks) between the PPD and
        the 940 and also from the 940 to the PPD. So far nothing new.

        When you take 'Cartridge' out of the PPD and hook it up via USB to
        your computer,you can transfer tracks from 'Cartridge' to the PC and
        also from the PC to Cartrdige. Your PC acts as (intelligent) floppy
        drive.
        The intelligence is in the fact that you can compose a track on the
        PC and also split a track on the PC (software is delivered with
        Cartridge).
        There is also some other functionality in the driver program like
        browsing designs.

        I am assuming that the OS must now be Windows compatible or at
        least have a mapping table for the Brother >PC link, but am still
        really at a loss as to how the thing works. Anyone here ever seen
        or used one of these?

        Maggie

        --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@...>

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 17 10:27 AM
          I think this is what you want
          http://www.breistudioritadejong.nl/prijzen_software.htm

          Maggie <brue@...> wrote:
          > > Hi all
          > > I am new to the
          list, would like to know if anyone here has ever
          > > used/heard of the
          'cartridge' accessory? I have a friend that
          heard
          > > about one,
          sound like its a floopy drive but converts the brother
          > > FB100 format
          into a windows os via a USB? We think it may be a
          > > European product
          ( Dutch?) but not sure about that.
          > > I would love to have more
          information but dont seem to able to
          track
          > > down any information
          at all on it. Would be really grateful if
          > > someone on this list
          could point me in the right direction.

          > > Kind
          regards,
          > > Maggie
          > >

          > Are you talking about
          a pattern computer? These are units that
          connect
          > to a TV. You can
          load cartridges into it with patterns or design
          your
          > own pattern on
          screen. It emulates the Brother FB100 "Floppy Disk
          > Controller Emulation
          Mode" sufficiently that you can connect it to
          the
          > KM and load
          patterns to/from the KM memory. I have a Knitking
          pattern

          computer.

          > They are not usb or windows compatible.
          >
          > Software like DesignaKnit basically does the same function as
          the
          > pattern computer.
          >
          > --
          John.

          MSGTAG MSGTAG has notified the sender that this message has been read.
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 17 10:30 AM

            Maggie <brue@...> wrote:
            > > Hi all
            > > I am new to the
            list, would like to know if anyone here has ever
            > > used/heard of the
            'cartridge' accessory? I have a friend that
            heard
            > > about one,
            sound like its a floopy drive but converts the brother
            > > FB100 format
            into a windows os via a USB? We think it may be a
            > > European product
            ( Dutch?) but not sure about that.
            > > I would love to have more
            information but dont seem to able to
            track
            > > down any information
            at all on it. Would be really grateful if
            > > someone on this list
            could point me in the right direction.

            > > Kind
            regards,

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 19 8:28 PM
              Thanks so much for the website - its exactly what I was looking for!
              A friend of mine told me about them - they are advertised in the UK
              and becomming popular but she doesnt have a machine any longer so
              has not tested it.
              Has anyone here on the list every used one of these? They sound
              great and PC compatible too:) downside is they dont take the
              floppies so I would have to find a way of converting them (
              manually). My floppy disk drive is just about dying so I think I
              may need this as a replacement.

              Thanks again for the url - great find:)
              Maggie

              --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, "Kidoodles3" <Kidoodles3@...>

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 19 9:42 PM
                On 9/19/07, Maggie <brue@...> wrote:
                > Thanks so much for the website - its exactly what I was looking for!
                > A friend of mine told me about them - they are advertised in the UK
                > and becomming popular but she doesnt have a machine any longer so
                > has not tested it.
                > Has anyone here on the list every used one of these? They sound
                > great and PC compatible too:) downside is they dont take the
                > floppies so I would have to find a way of converting them (
                > manually). My floppy disk drive is just about dying so I think I
                > may need this as a replacement.
                >
                > Thanks again for the url - great find:)
                > Maggie

                I know enough about the disk drives to transfer raw data to other
                media (CD) if that helps.

                It's just a small matter of having a description of the file format to
                convert to :-)

                BTW, FB100 drives are usually repairable.. I've repaired mine in the past.

                -- John.
              • mapmsmith2
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 4, 2008
                  Would be interested in copying my floppies on to CD if you can give
                  me the instructions. Also back to floppies if possible, always
                  worried about loosing the data on the disks since they are getting
                  old. But will have to keep the disk reader as an interface I guess.
                  Unless you can hook up a cd reader to the machines I guess. Thanks
                  Alice

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 4, 2008
                    On Feb 4, 2008 2:47 PM, mapmsmith2 <mapmsmith2@...> wrote:
                    > Would be interested in copying my floppies on to CD if you can give
                    > me the instructions. Also back to floppies if possible, always
                    > worried about loosing the data on the disks since they are getting
                    > old. But will have to keep the disk reader as an interface I guess.
                    > Unless you can hook up a cd reader to the machines I guess. Thanks
                    > Alice

                    Well it can be done, it isn't hard but it requires writing a program.
                    The command sequences for the "FDC" or "floppy disk controller" mode
                    are described in

                    Files->PDF->m100disksm.pdf

                    Also you need a cable to connect the drive to PC serial port.

                    -- John.
                  • mapmsmith2
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 5, 2008
                      Thanks for the info. Will be my next PC/knitting project. Haven't
                      written basic routines for many years except for visual basic with
                      excel.

                      I've been inactive on this list for a while, has anyone successfully
                      communicated from PC to knitting machine directly. Seems like if you
                      can write from the Brother disk to a CD via computer can the
                      information be downloaded directly to the knitting machine bypassing
                      the disk drive?

                      Another question has anyone figure out a way of writing a pattern on
                      a PC and writing in as a floppy disk to be able to import into the
                      brother knitting machines?
                      thanks Alice

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 5, 2008
                        On Feb 5, 2008 10:55 AM, mapmsmith2 <mapmsmith2@...> wrote:

                        > Another question has anyone figure out a way of writing a pattern on
                        > a PC and writing in as a floppy disk to be able to import into the
                        > brother knitting machines?
                        > thanks Alice

                        Well, I've accessed sectors before, when I was working on deciphering
                        the pattern format.

                        But the work to decipher the pattern format itself is unknown at least
                        outside of proprietary software vendors.

                        You could make a backup/restore facility without knowing the pattern
                        format, though. Reading/writing sectors is covered completely in the
                        pdf.

                        -- John.
                      • i4getmyid
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 18 9:06 AM
                          Is this what you mean?
                          http://www.knitandsew.demon.nl/dk/fb100emu-en.htm

                          They do excellent work. They made an emulator program that allowed me
                          to bypass my dongle for the brother embroidery program.That was in the
                          early years, when most people didn't see that the embroidery world
                          going to dongles.

                          Diane
                        • i4getmyid
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 18 9:25 AM
                            Just adding to the previous post....
                            In message Message #8 of 138 , someone mentioned taking apart the
                            bitknitter to see if we could do the same, that is, interface with the
                            computer & machine without DAK.

                            Has anyone examined the way the Passap people are doing it?
                            They had Creation 6 in the beginning, which only ran on Dos...guess
                            what they can't use anymore?

                            Then came Wincrea, which was a shareware windows version of Creation 6,
                            and used the same cable as C6.
                            http://www.offthestreet.net/.....to download a shareware version of the
                            program

                            Another program is coming out for the passap, called, "Journal Six"
                            http://passappal.com/
                            You can get a demo of it there.
                            This person earlier wrote a program on how to send information over to
                            the machine, and has now included it in her new program.

                            http://knitting.bikibird.com/CardReaderTechniques/Download/crt.html
                            If anyone can help with getting the brother to communicate, it will be
                            her! I don't know if she's been approached about our concerns.

                            AT
                            http://passappal.com/
                            download the manual.
                            She gives information on how to build a cable for interfacing.
                            I know it's another set up, but if it can be done with one machine, it
                            can be done on others.

                            Diane
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 18 10:01 AM
                              On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:06 AM, i4getmyid <i4getmyid@...> wrote:
                              > Is this what you mean?
                              > http://www.knitandsew.demon.nl/dk/fb100emu-en.htm

                              Yep! I just conversed a bit with the author about it. Seems like good stuff.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 18 12:03 PM

                                We have the cable info on our site if you have any questions.

                                Regards,

                                Ed

                                DesignaKnit USB cables & Cartridges

                                Be sure to check out the BL7USB Cable for the Brother Disk Drive

                                http://home.comcast.net/~kidoodles/

                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 20 1:30 PM
                                  I've had the site bookmarked for a long time. I know that eventually, I
                                  will get not only one cable, but two. I own a brother and a passap.

                                  It's still interesting to figure out what is going on inside the
                                  machines & programs.

                                  I'm amazed that it took so long to make usb cables available to the
                                  public. For YEARS, we have been holding on to old laptops, so we could
                                  use the old cables. Usb converters gave unreliable results.

                                  We are not a large part of the computer market, but we deserved better.

                                  Paying for upgrades, new hardware is part of the game. But, paying for
                                  upgrading to OLD tech is puzzling to me. New tech for Dak would be, to
                                  me, wireless, not usb.
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 20 2:36 PM

                                    The cables now support the Stitch Painter format along with .pat, .bpt, .cst, cut, pcx, stc, sbr, and PC10 .dat files.  The cable/software will automatically convert them to Bother format and you can then extract them as .pat files for use with DAK.

                                    Regards,

                                    Sandy

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 21 11:30 AM
                                      I thought that Stitch Painter exported to dak, s90, and creation 6
                                      already?

                                      So, if a person owns just stitch painter, all they need is the cable to
                                      send their design to the machine?
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 21 2:11 PM

                                        Yes, check out the slideshows at:

                                        http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/fb100read/fb100read.htm

                                        http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/fb100write/fb100write.htm

                                        http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/addstc/addstc.htm

                                        http://www.pes2card.com/download/usblinks/show/addpat/addpat.htm

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 23 11:51 AM

                                          If I have a BL5USB cable, then, does it convert formats?