Re: Brother Electronic knitter

  • jhogerhuis
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2004
      --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, "mikezcnc" <eemikez@c...> wrote:

      > what would allow us to connect a computer to an electronic Brother

      > machine. Schematics, protocols, anything. Jim, the owner of that

      Note: name's John, and Yahoo "owns" the group by any reasonable
      definition, I'm just the creator and lenient/benevolent
      moderator :-)

      > group already psoted some valuable information. I am new to the
      hobby
      > and new to knitting machines but I find them fascinating. i also
      > believe that DAK (Design-a-knit' is WAY overpriced for the type of

      > hobby. Then it requires an expansive cable ($100 but I am not sure
      if

      DAK is probably a bit overpriced, which a monopoly can get you,
      *but* we don't need any enemies. This information/code/whatever we
      come up with is for everybody, including them. I'm not sure if
      they've completely ferreted out the data format themselves. If they
      can get some use out of some detail we come up with, great. If they
      want to help, that would be great too, but I'm not holding my
      breath.

      But hopefully we don't look at them as an enemy. The provide the
      leading product in the category, for such an old machine I'd say
      mk's are lucky to have a commercial supporter.

      That said, no one is guaranteed a monopoly on protocol information
      (unless it's somehow patented). So I believe we are free to go as
      deep here as we like.

      > If someone uses a DAK, could you tell us if it uses a parallel or
      > serial port on a computer? Is this a specialized cable bought for
      > $100, or is it a standard parallel printer cable? or if it is a
      > specialized cable did it come with that program?

      Well for "follow along" type knitting I think you need to use the
      optical interface. But for sending/receiving patterns you use the
      serial interface.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2004
        "for "follow along" type knitting I think you need to use the
        optical interface. But for sending/receiving patterns you use the
        serial interface"

        What do you mean by saying 'follow along type knitting'?
        I would want an optical buffer (interface) so not to blast something
        in a old knitter.

        And yes, I found out they are using a serial interface or a USB.

        as far as patents, they expire after what? 15 years, so I am sure
        they are all history.

        There is a PDA yahoo group for knitting, I asked for an access but
        dwasn't waved in yet. What is that group about?

        Mike

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 29, 2004
          On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 11:19, mikezcnc wrote:
          > "for "follow along" type knitting I think you need to use the
          > optical interface. But for sending/receiving patterns you use the
          > serial interface"
          What do you mean by saying 'follow along type knitting'?

          Not completely sure since I haven't tried it, but there's an optical
          cable that comes with Bitknitter, and connects between it and km, that I
          think is supposed to allow some kind of interactive knitting/feedback so
          the pattern on the computer screen scrolls along with what you are
          knitting.

          > And yes, I found out they are using a serial interface or a USB.
          >
          > as far as patents, they expire after what? 15 years, so I am sure
          > they are all history.

          Yeah I'm not too worried about it. As a software developer it is never
          advisable to attempt doing one's own patent research anyway since
          willful violation of a patent opens the possibility of triple damages.

          > There is a PDA yahoo group for knitting, I asked for an access but
          > dwasn't waved in yet. What is that group about?

          What's the name of the group? Haven't seen it.

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 29, 2004
            What is a Bitknitter?

            The name of that group is KnitPUG so far they dod not wave me in.

            Mike

            --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@p...>