32Re: [kminternals] Re: DAK charm

  • mar heck
    Nov 29, 2004
      mikezcnc wrote:

      Can you tell me how long did it take you to:

      modify the pattern in DAK?
      make each arm?
      make front?
      make back?
      assemble all together
      total amount of time?

      I want to have a modern version of PPD and FB100 substituted by a PC.
      Let's say, I can buy a design from you that way I could use my PC to
      download it to a knitting machine, assuming no modificatins are
      neccessary (I can see a big business for people modifying patterns on
      DAK for others and it tells me that DAK could have a version of their
      program just for that purpose).

      Mike
      Mike,
      First, I need to re-iterate that I purchased the pattern from Dale of Norway, although I have designed many sweaters myself as well using DAK.  I used this example to show you just one of the things you can do with DAK.  Regarding time it takes (mind you I've been knitting for a few years and if the knitting gods and goddesses are with you on the day of knitting....here are my estimates.)  After scanning the charts and putting them into DAK, about 1/2 hour to do a swatch and figure out rows and stitches per inch.  Measure recipient,  decide how many rows and stitches  needed, do the math, 10 minutes.  Downloading pattern to machine:  3 minutes.  Each sleeve, front, back  1 hour each.  Assembly and running in yarn ends:  4-5 or 6 hours (same as handknitting).   So, maybe 10-15 hrs if all goes well.

       Regarding your entrepreneurial ideas, I dunno.  If a person owns DAK, they can do their own sizing and modifications.  There are so many things DAK can do, we haven't even scratched the surface in this discussion.  Even can estimate for you how much yarn you'll need for a garment, will superimpose a shape onto a design, will grade a pattern into different sizes, will give you a pattern according to your instructions, just to mention a few things.  like any hobby, there is a learning curve.  And to learn to do something well, it takes a bit of practice, a few flops and a few successes.  In my opinion, DAK is worth the big bucks, but I get frustrated that the interface is like pre-windows 95, I think.    Finding a teacher is a good thing, although you can teach yourself through books.

      How did you get interested in machine knitting in the first place?  EBAy purchase?

      -- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, "margaretbheck" <mheck@m...> wrote:

      > Hi Mike,
      > Thought you might like to see an example of what you can do with a
      > knitting machine and DAK.  I just uploaded a file to our PHOTOS
      area,
      > called example.  I bought the sweater pattern from Dale of Norway,
      > scanned the charts and saved them to my computer, entered them in
      DAK,
      > changed the colors to the ones my husband liked, downloaded the
      pieces
      > to my Brother 970, knit each piece, sewed together by hand and
      > presented to husband.  Don't mean to brag....well, maybe I do....
      but