246Re: [kminternals] About to splice!!!

  • Davi Post
    Jun 28, 2012
      Hi Adele --

      As I explained in this post on an Adafruit forum, there is no need to solder any wires together.

      The cables we are using have the green wire of the FTDI cable (RTS#) connected to pin 3 of the knitting machine. For this to work, you must also invert the RTS# signal when programming the cable to invert TXD and RXD. Our cables do not use the red wire or brown wire -- tape each of those to insulate it from touching anything. Only four wires are needed: black, orange, yellow, green.

      Alternatively, you could tape up the green wire, and connect the red wire (+5v) to pin 3. You might want to do that if your cable has already been programmed to invert TXD and RXD (but not RTS#), and you don't want to redo the cable programming.

      You do have to install the FTDI serial driver, and then reprogram the cable to invert TXD and RXD.

      Good luck! We would love to know if you have success with Windows 7.

      --Davi

      On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Adele <adeleleo@...> wrote:
      But before I do, did I read there was a way to not have to splice together the red and green wire. I would really love not to have to do this, just removing the black sheathing gave me the willies! Any help would be appreciated. I am using Windows 7 and its a 64 bit computer. I have never done anything like this before so use baby words. :)

      Thanks,
      Adele

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional