153Re: [kminternals] External Drive emulation software

    Jul 16, 2009
      On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Steve Conklin<steve@...> wrote:

      > I find the pack/unpack facilities in python very difficult to use. In particular,
      > when you define some structure for the data and unpack it, what gets returned
      > is a long list of tuples containing (sequentially) all elements defined in every
      > 'grouping' in the data, and not anything easier like arrays of values for each
      > grouping. There are some classes written by people to make it better. For the
      > reverse engineering phase, I just work faster in C (I'm a linux kernel engineer
      > all day, and I almost think in C). Once the file format is known, I'd love to
      > have a python app which displays the file data and pattern, but one thing at a
      > time. :)

      Yeah I used to feel that way about C. Besides whatever paying work I
      find I'm also a hobbyist and embedded systems programmer. But it was
      real easy to get spoiled with the leverage a dynamic language gives
      you and now writing in C feels like translating my thoughts for the
      benefit of the computer.

      But you're doing the work, so whatever works for you is the best approach :-)