Turnover, Places and K-Logs

  • Phil Wolff
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 15 12:10 PM
      I've been thinking about employee turnover. For our European friends,
      this means the arrival and departure of workers from a company. What
      happens to a klog when someone leaves? What happens to productive
      conversations about ongoing issues? Knowledge management seeks to
      preserve not only the record of an individual's knowledge but the
      momentum of their ideas. The "community" features of a klog are part of
      this. But there is more.

      Dave Winer is one of the all-time great bloggers. In addition to
      writing, he has a knack for defining subject-specific spaces. In the
      beginning was Scripting.com. Then there was DaveNet, and UserLand
      discuss, XML-RPC, Soapware, and dozens of others. Most have an
      organizing theme or focus.

      Check me on this if I'm wrong, but a sense of place in cyberspace, of
      locale, provides an anchor for visitors and a magnet for content.

      For example, after Dave closed the UserLand Discuss forum, attention and
      activity in ancillary forums rose. Product suggestions and comments now
      flow into a Radio UserLand weblog/list or a Manila Newbies blog/list.

      While Dave may share a highlight about XML-RPC implementation or
      milestones on Scripting News, detailed exploration of the protocol finds
      its way to the XML-RPC site/list. Interested in XML-RPC? Join the site,
      subscribe to the feed, get your solid pure fix of XML-RPC. Want to brag
      about an implementation, get testers for your XML-RPC build? Post to
      xmlrpc.com.

      Do "categories" fill this need? Only a little. Departments on Phil's
      site are like Phil's Blue Shirt and Phil's Yellow Shirt, vs. the Blue
      Shirt Site and the Yellow Shirt Site. They organize within my body of
      work vs. becoming their own body of work. Gravitic potential is small
      unless that category has a distinct place in the universe.

      Blogging has been a solitary pursuit, ego/personality driven. Some of
      the multi-author sites show another path; klogging has the potential to
      open up places to multiple people, to survive the absence of a founder.

      Corporate klogging doesn't have to be limited this way. Klogs around
      Project X, Process Y, Team Z, System 1, Event 2, Product 3 should be
      part of klogspace.

      In short:
      - let users create multiuser klogspaces
      - community features matter