Re: [K-Logs] K-Logs and continous education

  • Paul Browning
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2001
      --On 09 November 2001 12:46 -0500 John Robb <jrobb@...> wrote:

      > This is something K-Logs can help with. Most people, when they leave
      > school, take nothing with them besides what is between their ears and a
      > few text books that are quickly put out of date. Our current system
      > forces people to go back to a classroom setting to rejuvenate their
      > knowledge set. Most people can't afford this. Particularly given
      > Drucker's predictions of the level of market competition there will be.
      >
      > If students were required to build and maintain a K-Log during their
      > years of residence at school, they would leave with: 1) a strong habit of
      > continuous analysis and writing, 2) subscriptions to data streams
      > (articles, documents, and other relevant data -- both free and for fee
      > $$), 3) living connections to teachers and students they met, and 4) a
      > chronicle of their learning process at school.

      Just to report from a UK perspective that there exists a scheme
      called Records of Archievement within schools which attempts to
      capture in a top-level way the sort of things you describe.
      It is currently paper-based but from time to time I read of
      plans to make it more virtual and to plumb it in to the university
      admissions process.

      (I should stress that the above is based on memory/hearsay and
      may be quite inaccurate.)

      At the other end of the educational pyramid you have projects like
      http://www.internet-pars.ac.uk/ which are already virtual.

      Paul Browning
      Information Strategy Co-ordinator
      University of Bristol

      --
      The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
      E-mail: paul.browning@... URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/