Electronic Portfolios for Students (a K-Log?)

  • John Robb
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2002
      Dear K-Loggers,

      There are over 1,000 schools worldwide (Caltech, Berkeley, Harvard, Dartmouth, Innsbruck, Vanderbilt, Cambridge, Iowa, Middlebury, Washington, Nebraska Public Schools, Denver Public Schools, and many more) using UserLand's Manila (mainly due to its broad feature-set, easy set-up, scalability, and low cost -- a single $299 server license can support 500 or more full featured weblogs). As a result of this widespread adoption, I get to spend a lot of time talking to educators about how best to use K-Logs within an educational context.

      A new and exciting area of development that I have been talking to educators about is the student managed electronic portfolio. This is a website that documents everything a student accomplished while at school in electronic form. These portfolios include original writing, links to resources, documents (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), pictures, audio files, and video files. It seems to me that this is a perfect application of K-Logs in education. Here's why:

      1) The construction of an electronic portfolio is a structured program. This makes it very easy to identify what material needs to be posted and when it should be posted. This eliminates the writer's block that impedes the development of some educational K-Log efforts.

      2) A K-Log's built-in time organization makes it easy to develop and maintain a portfolio over an entire academic career. This would allow students and teachers (or parents and teachers in conference) to review progression over a month, semester, or year.

      3) K-Logging tools support point and click posting of pictures, documents, audio, and video files. Further, students can assign real world names to these files to allow them to quickly re-publish them at a later date if warranted (for example: all you need to do to include a photo in a weblog is type the name of picture in double quotes and hit "publish." The picture would auto-magically appear formatted in the post.)

      4) K-Logging tools make it easy to move a site from one location to another. For example, a copy of a 7-8th grade portfolio can easily be moved to the high school's Manila server to allow the student (and readers) continuity.

      5) A portfolio published as a K-Log is automatically syndicated as a newsfeed. This makes it easy for a parent to subscribe to their children's portfolio with their newsreader of choice (like Radio). So, in this case I could get news headlines from the NYTimes along with updates on what my kids have been doing at school. Nice.

      Personally, I think its great that schools are starting to do this. The early establishment of the habit of documenting work online is going to be something that will pay dividends throughout life. This is an important step on the road to a knowledge sharing culture.

      Sincerely,

      John Robb
      http://jrobb.userland.com

    • Craig Jordan
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 12, 2002
        John-

        I had no idea this was going on. As the parent of a 6th grader, I would
        absolutely love it if my son's school used such a system.

        I would like to know more about this. Do you have examples that you can
        point to?

        How is this managed for public schools where student computer time is often
        a limited resource?

        Craig

        On 12/11/02 11:54 AM, "John Robb" <jrobb@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > would auto-magically appear formatted in the post.)
        >
        > 4) K-Logging tools make it easy to move a site from one location to another.
        > For example, a copy of a 7-8th grade portfolio can easily be moved to the high
        > school's Manila server to allow the student (and readers) continuity.
        >
        > 5) A portfolio published as a K-Log is automatically syndicated as a newsfeed.
        > This makes it easy for a parent to subscribe to their children's portfolio
        > with their newsreader of choice (like Radio). So, in this case I could get
        > news headlines from the NYTimes along with updates on what my kids have been
        > doing at school. Nice.
        >
        > Personally, I think its great that schools are starting to do this. The early
        > establishment of the habit of documenting work online is going to be something
        > that will pay dividends throughout life. This is an important step on the

        Law Office of Craig Jordan
        1845 Woodall Rodgers Freeway, Suite 1750
        Dallas, Texas 75201
        (214) 855-9355
        (214) 855-9389 (fax)