My public K-Log is my global business card

  • John Robb
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2002
      Dear K-Loggers,

      My public K-Log is my global business card. As a business card it is my permanent 24x7 repository of who I am and what I do (bio). It is also full of contact information on how to get in touch with me.

      However, my K-Log goes beyond being a simple business card (or business card site) by providing live communication links to spam-free e-mail and instant messaging systems (all someone needs to do to contact me is click on a link). It also includes a relatively complete run-down on what I have been working on and what I am thinking about that interested people can subscribe to (using a tool like Radio). In that sense, it is a living/breathing repository of everything I think the world should know about me, updated daily.

      My K-Log is also global in that Google does such a great job helping people find me (all they need to do is type in my name and company and my weblog pops to the top of the returns. It even lists my K-Log as the top return for "John Robb" and the 5th return for "John". What more could I ask for?). One reason it pops to the top on Google is that I maintain my public K-Log with daily updates and as a result it has attracted lots of links from people interested in my work (this is in contrast to a simple bio page on Geocities, a random ISP, or on a corporate marketing site). Another reason that it does well is that I am part of the public Radio community. Radio's community connections help people find and link to me (this is in part why Macromedia, Apple, and Groove are active participants in the public Radio community). The interesting point is that this mechanism of global discovery is open to anyone, if only they cared to take advantage of it.

      This living repository of "me" has proven to be exceedingly useful when I have a face-to-face or telephone meeting with a business partner or customer, particularly when my counter-party at the meeting has a K-Log too. The availability of K-Log information lets us dispense with the time wasting "getting to know you" banter that consumes the early part of most meetings. It also avoids false starts and wrongly held assumptions. Based on the information we have been able to read about each other, we can quickly launch into highly productive problem solving. Often, a single meeting within this context can do what 2-3 meetings under normal conditions could accomplish. Granted, this isn't something I can do with many people yet, but when I can, it is a wonderful thing to experience.

      People that would gain from this type of global business presence include:

      1) CXOs and senior management at companies.
      2) Product managers.
      3) PR firms and managers.
      4) Sales and marketing people at small to medium size companies.
      5) Consultants (particularly independents)
      6) Analysts (a K-Log is the best tool for publishing timely analysis I have ever seen).

      More to come.

      Sincerely,

      John Robb

      http://jrobb.userland.com