Re: [K-Logs] RCS for Intranets?

  • Peter Harbeson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15, 2002
      It depends on what you want. Most of my experience with Frontier/Manila
      has been on an intranet, and it works very well hosting about twenty
      sites, one of which I designed as a knowledge management/news/technical
      archive/technology demo site. We get a great deal of internal traffic,
      and provide the company's primary source of information on XML-related
      technology and projects. However, although it hosts some discussions,
      it's mostly a "few-to-many" site; except for the editors, most people
      only read and don't contribute (which is okay; that's what it's for).

      If you want to create an environment in which more people participate,
      and the value of the effort derives from more interactive, many-to-many
      conversations, RCS might be worthwhile. It offers more information about
      who's referring to other postings, and that can be very valuable.

      It's not really an either-or choice -- a Radio Community Server and a
      Frontier/Manila server can run at the same time on the same machine. In
      fact, that's a likely next phase for the system I mentioned above.

      Hope this helps

      ---
      Peter J. Harbeson
      peterharbeson@...