Re: [klogs] Re: What does automatic time-organization really mean?

  • John Robb
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 12, 2001
      >Have you tried K-Logging with other dimensions?
      >
      >-
      Geography: Location of author. Location related to subject matter.

      >- Organization Unit: List of teams, processes, firms, agencies
      >related to the post.
      >
      >- Domain-specific conceptual
      models:

      >What is your experience?
      >
      >- phil wolff,
      href="http://dijest.com/">http://dijest.com/

      Phil,

      Good question.  I think, based on my experience, that geographic and domain specific models can be best handled through RSS feeds based on automated keyword search.  Organization or group-based K-logs are best done through categorization of content based on the needs of a specific reader group.  For more, see my post on categorization and keyword-based RSS feeds:

      Here are two more reasons to use this approach:

      1) It takes quite a few posts to produce sufficient flow to adequately populate even a small number number of categories.  If the number of categories is too great, the usefulness of any one category shrinks to nothing.  Too many categories also get in the way of the authors workflow and increase the chances that the categorization scheme is unintelligible to readers (see Maish http://groups.yahoo.com/group/klogs/message/20 ).  To keep the the authoring and reading process simple, its best to leave topic specific RSS feeds to an automated search engine (like Moreover does with general news) and use categories sparingly.

      2) By using categories to route posts to user-specific K-Logs, the author has the option of using just a single master K-Log.  For example, using this approach I can post everthing to my master K-Log and selectively distribute posts to K-Logs for my workgroup, my company, and my friends/family.  This approach simplifies workflow, improves the personal value of the tool as a personal organizationer, and provides high quality experiences to readers.

      All schemes mentioned above benefit from time-based organization.  Automated time-based organization is a key attribute of a K-Log, it provides information relevant to freshness and provides a contextual framework for understanding.
      Remember, a K-Log is produced by an individual.  Individuals deal with information, analyze it, and develop understanding over time.  K-Logs document that process in a collaborative environment.  Time is the core organizational metric.  Categorization and automated key-word search can route fine-grained information/knowledge to the right people, but it is a second order process that is best used over a large number of K-Logs.

      Sincerely,

      John Robb