Collaboration and P2P

  • John Robb
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2001
      Dear K-Loggers,

      Can P2P technology enable new functionality and automation for K-Logs? Yes, over the long term.

      What does P2P do? It's simple: it allows applications on desktops to find each other and circumvent firewalls/NATs (concepts called presence and tunneling). While some would debate the finer points of this, for the purposes of this discussion this is the most important functionality P2P provides. So, given a P2P connection, a K-Log on my desktop could connect to a K-Log on your desktop.

      Now, my general philosophy of K-Logging is that I want as much data aggregated in my desktop K-Log as possible so that it is easy to annotate with knowledge/insight and post to the Intranet. RSS subscriptions provide a lot of that data (subscriptions to Weblogs, Websites, E-mail systems, etc) but P2P collaboration tools built into my K-Log could provide much more. Collaboration tools that would work well within a K-Log environment include:

      1) Real-time Instant Messaging and "Structured Instant Messaging" (something unique to UserLand -- more on that later).

      2) Real-time file replication.

      3) Web apps. This is an open ended category. Almost any form of Webapp can be built into a desktop K-Log system (if it is built on a content management system and database). These apps include team calendars, photo albums, databases, discussions, polls, surveys, shared bookmark lists, team e-mail, and much more.

      The result of this integration is that the K-Log can now leverage all of the data in shared apps, IM (structured or flat) threads, and shared file lists when posting to the Intranet. Further, the entire interaction is done through a browser (Yahoo has a great demonstration of easy-to-use Web apps of this type on left hand menu of the K-Logs list) which is a big plus.

      This is the roadmap for K-Logging.

      Sincerely,

      John Robb

      http://jrobb.userland.com