455RE: Will people use K-logs?

  • Brendon Connelly
    May 27 8:31 AM
      Timely post, John. I've just been pitching the idea at work (a small
      private university). My pitch hit most of what you note, and my biggest
      concern by far is whether it will be friendly enough software for the
      majority of our users, who are relatively unsophisticated computer users.
      If the tool isn't friendly and *really* easy to learn, most of our folks
      won't bother with it and they'll stick to traditional channels of
      information exchange: email, informal desk huddles, etc. (This is
      experience speaking--I rolled out a wiki about a year and a half ago, and
      I've been the main contributor. Most folks timidly make a post in the
      SandBox, then forget about it--until they want something, then they go
      search the wiki.) :-)

      Your point #1 seems a little glossed over to me. From watching our users,
      the process is more like: 1) find the link to that new software thingy -> 2)
      remember my logon info and type it in -> 3) navigate to the part where I can
      type my stuff in -> 4) what was I thinking about, again? Type it in -> 5)
      hit post to weblog.

      Next, RSS isn't on most folk's radar. I watch around 50 feeds, but I don't
      personally know anyone else who does the web this way. Shooting the feed to
      Outlook is a good solution, but there's definitely a learning curve involved
      in yet another piece of software. I guess we'll just have to wait for RSS
      to *really* go mainstream and evangelize like crazy in the meantime.

      Next, for small departments, one K-Log per person seems like overkill,
      especially considering my hunch that most folks won't participate initially
      (envision a ghost town of empty K-Logs). Do you see any downside to a
      single K-Log, with categories and sub-categories that an entire (small)
      department had author rights to? Once the early adopters got it wired,
      they'd want to control their own K-Logs and new ones could be carved off for
      them.

      --Bren

      > Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 04:38:20 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: John Robb <jrobb@...>
      > Subject: Will people use K-logs?
      >
      > Dear K-Loggers,
      >
      > The biggest hurdle that faces any knowledge management tool
      > is: will people use it? The key to surmounting this hurdle is
      > threefold:
      >
      > 1) The tool must be EASY to use.
      >
      > 2) The tool must deliver visible benefits immediately.
      >
      > 3) The tool must gain value as more people use it (network effects).
      >
      > A quick review of most existing knowledge management tools
      > fails all three counts. They are often bewilderingly complex
      > (Lotus), the benefits are difficult to measure (particularly
      > from the perspecitive of an individual user), and the tool's
      > value is the virtually the same regardless of the number of
      > people using it.
      >
      > In contrast K-Logs measure up well. Here's how:
      >
      > 1) The tool is easy to use: a) write something > b) hit post
      > to Weblog That is all it takes to contribute.
      >
      > 2) The tool provides quickly visible benefits: a) I create a
      > K-Log > b) Iinform my co-workers > c) my co-workers can
      > quickly and easily keep up to date on what I am doing
      > (thinking) by reading my K-Log.
      >
      > 3) The tool provides network effects: a) the more people with
      > K-Logs the greater the number of knowledge streams I can
      > subscribe to (RSS), b) the greater the number of K-Logs the
      > greater the searchable number of Web pages on the Intranet,
      > and c) the more K-Logs the better the knowledge network cloud
      > works (hotlists, most recent updates, etc.).
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > John Robb

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic