2Knowledge networks

  • M Robb
    Oct 7 5:37 AM

      Here is a post I put into my Weblog on Knowledge networks. See the
      post at:

      Note: I have changed the link to a text only version (there are some
      you still out there that like that). Also, the complete post
      includes links that I have put into the text below. Thanks!

      Organizational Network Analysis[ONA] is a software supported
      methodology that reveals the real workings of an organization. I
      call this the corporate knowledge network. K-Logs (Knowledge
      Management Weblogs like Radio) let you map a corporation's knowledge
      network. How? Through the following:

      1) RSS subscription flow: This flow will look very much like the
      organizational hierarchy at first. Over time it will look much more
      like the knowledge hierarchy within an organization. Where are the
      gaps. Which groups aren't talking to each other but should. It is
      pretty clear a face to face meeting between the groups concerned will
      quickly result in new subscription links being formed as people find
      there is value in the other group's activities.

      2) Hot Link lists (Blogdex). This gives you sense of what
      information is most useful within and organization in real-time.
      Good ideas bubble up and get linked to fast, this is the way to track

      3) Most popular Weblog lists. Who are the most valuable employees in
      the company? As a manager, you might think you know, but do you
      really? Hot Weblogs are usually built by people that have something
      useful to say. Often, people with the perspective and experience
      necessary to contribute are often invisible.

      4) Most recent updates lists. Who's working right now? This is a
      quick way to see which of the people at the company are doing
      valuable work on a minute to minute basis. Click on a couple of
      links and see what they are doing. The further up in the managerial
      chain you go, the more removed you are from the day-to-day workings
      of a company. This is a quick way to get sense of what is going on.

      5) Personal Weblog referrers and a list of the most popular pages on
      your Weblog. Who is listening to what you have to say? Are your
      ideas gaining traction? Which ideas are gaining traction? As a
      manager or a corporate change agent, you might get people to nod
      their heads during a meeting, but what are they really thinking? How
      are they interpreting what you say? A personal Weblog referrers list
      lets you find out.

      6) Popular Search terms (Daypop). Popular search terms let you find
      out what people are looking for. If for example, people are looking
      for information on a divisional reorg, it may be time to post more
      specific information on the topic to reduce confusion. Popular
      search terms take the pulse of an organization.

      There are probably some tools that I missed, but all of the above
      represent radical improvements in monitoring and improving knowledge
      flow within a corporation. For managers, the ability to peer into
      what is really going on is a huge benefit. For emplyees, finding
      important info and smart people that can help get the job done is a

      Corporate knowledge is like grain on a mill stone. Much of the
      valuable knoweldge within a company falls from the stone to the floor
      and spoils. K-Logs are a way to place it back on the stone to be
      ground into useful products that can be consumed by the company
      employees and managers.

      John Robb
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic