Archos

  • paul.tervit@xtra.co.nz
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
      Hello,
      Has anyone looked at, experimented with, considered, or dismissed the
      idea of connecting their camera/KIWI-OSD to an Archos portable
      recoding unit?

      Paul T.
    • Kiwi Geoff
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
        Paul Tervit wrote:
        > Has anyone looked at, experimented with, considered, or dismissed the
        > idea of connecting their camera/KIWI-OSD to an Archos portable
        > recoding unit?

        The issue was raised a couple of years ago on the IOTA forum - but I
        don't think anything became of it.

        At first glance it seems a perfect combination of technology Paul.
        However I have reservations over the video compression used (MPEG4) in
        the Archos device. While the MPEG system nicely exploits "holes" in
        our sensory system (our brain is fooled) I'm not sure it is a good
        system to record the timing of a faint star blinking out. How much
        does the MPEG algorithm affect the played back star blink, as apposed
        to a recording on a normal VCR or DV system?.

        Like the audio MPEG system, how data is treated depends on the masking
        effect of adjacent data - so subtle changes are often masked by the
        MPEG algorithm, such that our eyes and ears don't detect the
        technology. But when it comes to analysing a MPEG video of a star
        blink field by field - we can't separate any algorithm delay from what
        "really happened".

        So I would suggest caution Paul, it would take a lot of testing to
        find out the "temporal shift" caused by the MPEG algorithm at
        different light (star) levels.

        BTW, congratulations on loading a new configuration onto your Garmin
        GPS, to make your new KIWI OSD work as it should - welcome to the
        millisecond club ;-)

        Regards, Geoff (Christchurch, NZ).
      • smr@prominence.net.au
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
          Hi all

          paul.tervit@... wrote:
          > Has anyone looked at, experimented with, considered, or dismissed the
          > idea of connecting their camera/KIWI-OSD to an Archos portable
          > recording unit?

          I have used a similar unit for recording grazing occultations. My
          feeling is that it works fine.

          However, I haven't done any tests to see if the MP4 compression
          affects the timing accuracy. At the moment I don't have an alternative
          recording device to do an A/B comparison. This warrants further
          investigation.

          Steve.