[ksurf] Re: Another bad day

  • Nhukusa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
      don't give up mate!! we all have bad days. if it was easy everyone would be
      doing it, then it would'nt be as fun or challengiing. 8-10 knots is tuff
      !!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep flying , keep credit cards coming , keep having fun!
      .................................neil ...check out
      www.kitesurfusa.com good pics.
    • Erik Fryman
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
        No more C-quads for me. I just ordered a PL 5.7 Waterfoil. US$475, sure
        beats the price on most of the other foils.

        Jeff Quick wrote:

        > No worries Erik! I have had worse luck than this multiple times over
        > and I finally managed to get some incredible days in. Don't give up.
        > Be sure to buy a 10.5 C Quad for those super light wind days...
        >
        > Jeff
        >
        > "erik fryman" <efryma-@...> wrote:
        > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=9602
        > > The winds were supposed to be blowing 10-15 mph and sideshore today,
        > so I decided to take my 6.3 C-quad out. Once I got to the beach the
        > winds were only blowing 8-10, with some lulls. Got the kite in the air
        > and my leash on and out in the surf I went. Got out past the breakers
        > and was fighting to keep the C-quad in the air. As soon as I got it
        > overhead the wind would die and the kite would luff and I had to keep
        > it moving to keep it off the water. The kite finally settled on the
        > water, trailing edge first. There was enough wind to keep the kite
        > upright and I thought that I might be able to re-launch. Then the kite
        > started to sink slowly, it was still sitting nice and straight with the
        > wind holding it up. After a while the whole kite was under water, so I
        > ended up dragging it back to the beach. Someone mentioned in a another
        > post about the C-quad being a sea-anchor, and that is exactly what it
        > was. Slowly but surely I got the kite drug back on the beach ready to
        > start over. But I found that two of the bridle lines were snapped, so I
        > called it a day.
        > > Maybe someone doesn't want me to kitesurf, I sure don't have a lot of
        > luck with my kites. But hey, I just got a new credit card in the mail,
        > so I'm ready to shop for a new kite!.
        > >
        > > Erik

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=kitesurf&m=1
      • Chris Hildebrand
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
          erik fryman <efryma-@...> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=9617
          > No more C-quads for me. I just ordered a PL 5.7 Waterfoil. US$475,
          sure
          > beats the price on most of the other foils.

          Where did you order it and where is more information on that available?

          Chris
        • Eric Savener
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
            Careful Erik, those PL boys say the C-Quad is water relaunchable too.
            Can't trust what you read these days. Post your experience with it or
            send me an e-mail once you've played with it a little.

          • Erik Fryman
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
              You can read more about the waterfoil at:
              http://www.peterlynnkites.co.nz/plweb/newprod/waterfoil.htm
              This is of course the makers own site!.

              I have read snippets here and there, mostly from the guys in Australia and
              NZ, and all the reports seem to be favorable so far.

              I ordered mine at http://kitelegends.com.au/. They are out of stock for the
              5.7 at the moment, but will order if you ask them.

              Never ordered from them before (or Australia, for that matter), so I can't
              speak for their level of service.

              You can also try: http://www.kiteboard.com.au/. They also sell the Waterfoil
              and Lachlan Beed is part of this group. He might give you some more info.

              Sorry if anyone thinks I'm out of line by listing the links here.

              Erik

              > > No more C-quads for me. I just ordered a PL 5.7 Waterfoil. US$475,
              > sure
              > > beats the price on most of the other foils.
              > >

              > Where did you order it and where is more information on that available?
              >
              > Chris

              > Apply NOW!

              > -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=kitesurf&m=1

            • David Trewern
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                The waterfoil is definately very re-launchable. It bounces off the water!
                I have played with it a bit - and I fly a Naish Inflatable so
                relaunchability is important to me.

                I think it's a good performing, well priced kite.

              • SeanCMurph@aol.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                  In a message dated 2/1/2000 7:15:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  efryman@... writes:

                  > No more C-quads for me. I just ordered a PL 5.7 Waterfoil...

                  You haven't learned your Peter Lynn Lesson yet? Keep us informed as you try
                  the new hype, er, kite...

                  Sean
                • Greg Walsh
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                    What did Peter Lynn do to casue people to be so bitter and twisted. I
                    have no Peter Lynn kites but I would like to know. I am thinking of
                    trying out a WaterFoil.

                    seancmurp-@... wrote:
                    original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=9627
                    > In a message dated 2/1/2000 7:15:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    > efryman@... writes:
                    >
                    > > No more C-quads for me. I just ordered a PL 5.7 Waterfoil...
                    >
                    > You haven't learned your Peter Lynn Lesson yet? Keep us informed as
                    you try
                    > the new hype, er, kite...
                    >
                    > Sean

                  • Eugene Visser
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                      Hi,
                      Having flown the 3.5 Waterfoil I can definitely put you at ease about it's
                      performance and simplicity of use.

                      There are no special tools or accesories(pumps or condoms ;-) required to
                      inflate it or to prep it for launch though we have aided it by preinflating
                      it using an hand/electric pump from a air-matress. Considering the kite had
                      only 6 small vents on the LE it inflated pretty fast and was ready for use
                      in a matter of about 5mins.

                      I have not been able to crash it in an unrecoverable position. As stated the
                      only time when problems may occur as with most waterfoils is when caught up
                      in the surf. The kite might actually require assistance to land. Furthermore
                      I have done my best to luff it on purpose and in all cases could recover it
                      with ease, usually as soon as the luff occured. The kite flies better with a
                      dualline flying method while accelerating the turns with the use of the
                      brakelines.

                      The power and control is smooth and this kite more than surprised me while
                      doing a jump as a powertest. Being overly familiar(spoiled actually) with
                      C-quads I've nearly forgotten how misleading the onset of power on a foil
                      can be. Otherwise we were more than powered up on the 3.5 Waterfoil when we
                      were predominantly using 4.2 C-quads. On the same afternoon this kite was
                      used to rescue/haul someone back after they had luffed their 4.2 C-quad in
                      the channel and was unable to return to shore in the outgoing tidal current.
                      The upwind performance is also outstanding.

                      The only time any accessory was required was to aid deflation. A tube was
                      inserted to bypass the LE valves to let air out before packing it away.

                      Ciao,

                      I am in no way associated to Peter Lynn Kite co. other than the fact that I
                      own and use some of their products.

                      erik fryman <efryma-@...> wrote:
                      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=9617
                      > No more C-quads for me. I just ordered a PL 5.7 Waterfoil. US$475,
                      sure
                      > beats the price on most of the other foils.
                      >
                      > Jeff Quick wrote:
                      >
                      > > No worries Erik! I have had worse luck than this multiple times
                      over
                      > > and I finally managed to get some incredible days in. Don't give
                      up.
                      > > Be sure to buy a 10.5 C Quad for those super light wind days...
                      > >
                      > > Jeff
                      > >
                      > > "erik fryman" <efryma-@...> wrote:
                      > > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=9602
                      > > > The winds were supposed to be blowing 10-15 mph and sideshore
                      today,
                      > > so I decided to take my 6.3 C-quad out. Once I got to the beach the
                      > > winds were only blowing 8-10, with some lulls. Got the kite in the
                      air
                      > > and my leash on and out in the surf I went. Got out past the
                      breakers
                      > > and was fighting to keep the C-quad in the air. As soon as I got it
                      > > overhead the wind would die and the kite would luff and I had to
                      keep
                      > > it moving to keep it off the water. The kite finally settled on the
                      > > water, trailing edge first. There was enough wind to keep the kite
                      > > upright and I thought that I might be able to re-launch. Then the
                      kite
                      > > started to sink slowly, it was still sitting nice and straight with
                      the
                      > > wind holding it up. After a while the whole kite was under water,
                      so I
                      > > ended up dragging it back to the beach. Someone mentioned in a
                      another
                      > > post about the C-quad being a sea-anchor, and that is exactly what
                      it
                      > > was. Slowly but surely I got the kite drug back on the beach ready
                      > > start over. But I found that two of the bridle lines were snapped,
                      so I
                      > > called it a day.
                      > > > Maybe someone doesn't want me to kitesurf, I sure don't have a
                      lot of
                      > > luck with my kites. But hey, I just got a new credit card in the
                      mail,
                      > > so I'm ready to shop for a new kite!.
                      > > >
                      > > > Erik

                      GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
                      as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
                      Apply NOW!
                      http://click.egroups.com/1/975/2/_/19/_/949453436/

                      -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=kitesurf&m=1
                    • SeanCMurph@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 2, 2000
                        In a message dated 2/1/2000 10:06:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        PAULSE@... writes:

                        > so helpful, so unbiased.
                        >
                        > have you tried a water foil?
                        > i think not.
                        >
                        > From: SeanCMurph@... [mailto:SeanCMurph@...]
                        > You haven't learned your Peter Lynn Lesson yet? Keep us informed as you
                        try
                        > the new hype, er, kite...
                        >
                        > Sean
                        >
                        > In a message dated 2/1/2000 7:15:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        > efryman@... writes:
                        >
                        > > No more C-quads for me. I just ordered a PL 5.7 Waterfoil...

                        Can't get one in the US as far as I know...
                        Someone's a little testy though...

                        And as the old adage goes:
                        'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

                        We'll just have to wait and see...

                        Sean
                      • SeanCMurph@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 2, 2000
                          > ...to rescue/haul someone back after they had luffed their 4.2 C-quad in
                          > the channel and was unable to return to shore in the outgoing tidal
                          current...

                          hmmmmmm
                        • SeanCMurph@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 2, 2000
                            Careful with that ax, Eugene... (sorry, I had to say that...)

                            Well this is good news. I look forward to the availability of a reasonably
                            priced water launchable kite. This will be good for the masses. The issue
                            of money is often skirted as an issue on this group. It's hard to lay down
                            1000+ US for a kite, especially when you need all the other gak too. I
                            bought a cquad for that very reason. Great price, water launching -- it's
                            almost as good as lite beer.:-)_ Unfortunately, we all now know the rest...

                            Perhaps this kite will cause other manufacturers to reevaluate their pricing
                            structures as well...

                            And maybe, just maybe, one day I'll own a fugu...

                            Sean
                          • Eugene Visser
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 2, 2000
                              Hiya,

                              >Careful with that ax, Eugene... (sorry, I had to say that...)

                              Reserved opinion granted.... ;-) I merely translated my experiences of a
                              testflight and comments made by fellow users. I was one of the first to buy
                              a 4.2 C-quad back in September '98. Initially for buggy purposes but with
                              the intention to kitesurf eventually. There was never more "hype" about this
                              kite than back then. Unlike a lot of retailers mine made it very clear that
                              the CQ will not water relaunch unless you can stand in the water, allowing
                              for perfect conditions and even then not always successfully. I never
                              bothered to buy the floaty version and till today have not bothered to
                              convert it. Since then I have bought a second hand 6.3 and I have an 8.5 on
                              order. On the other hand I was successfull in relaunching both 4.2 and 6.3
                              at the start of our gusty sessions this weekend - the conditions allowed for
                              it though.

                              >Well this is good news. I look forward to the availability of a reasonably

                              >priced water launchable kite. This will be good for the masses. The issue

                              >of money is often skirted as an issue on this group. It's hard to lay down

                              >1000+ US for a kite, especially when you need all the other gak too. I
                              >bought a cquad for that very reason. Great price, water launching -- it's
                              >almost as good as lite beer.:-)_ Unfortunately, we all now know the rest...

                              That is a problem here too... Though I would not have been able to
                              participate in this sport had I needed to buy other KS products(some folk do
                              like their lite beer - ergh) Having followed the CQ evolution since it's
                              advent I am all to familiar with the issues surrounding it. I have however
                              grown quite fond of my CQ's though and very much like their efficiency
                              though I will regret the day I really get myself into trouble.

                              >Perhaps this kite will cause other manufacturers to reevaluate their
                              pricing
                              >structures as well...

                              The kite has the same pricerange as the N'gens and I found that interesting
                              too. It seems PL is unlikely to jump the kitesurf price hike wagon. He
                              already stated that the Waterfoil did not cost or take much more time to
                              make than the N'gens. Comparitively other KS versions of foils cost up to
                              50% more.

                              >And maybe, just maybe, one day I'll own a fugu...

                              Though the upwind performance really sucks(sorry... I had to say that ;-)

                              Ciao,
                            • Rainer Leuschke
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 2, 2000
                                On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Eugene Visser wrote:

                                > >And maybe, just maybe, one day I'll own a fugu...
                                >
                                > Though the upwind performance really sucks(sorry... I had to say that ;-)

                                Ehmm, what's a fugu?
                                The kiting equivalent of the holy grail or an actual kite?
                                R!

                                -- ,--+___. oOOOOOOo
                                ,/ | \ / /
                                ___ / | \. Rainer Leuschke / /
                                __ / | \. phone: (w) 206-685-0900 / /
                                __ / 14 |\ \ (h) 206-547-8927 / /
                                | ~~ | \ \ / /
                                | | \ \ / /
                                | | \ \ Weight is only of use / /
                                | | \ | in steamrollers. o /
                                +--o o--| \ | - Uffa Fox 'U~
                                .|_[]{ }_|------+======' )\
                                M|_______________| -;---'
                                U H
                              • Eugene Visser
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 2, 2000
                                  Hiya,
                                  Well after looking at the video I have to correct myself and add that the
                                  C-quad didn't luff on this occasion. The one handle disintegrated releasing
                                  the top line... a far more serious phenomenon...

                                  Ciao,

                                  > ...to rescue/haul someone back after they had luffed their 4.2 C-quad in
                                  > the channel and was unable to return to shore in the outgoing tidal
                                  current...

                                  hmmmmmm
                                • Paul Sexstone
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 2, 2000
                                    fugu=blowfish, an actuall kite or more accuratly line toy upto 18m across

                                    On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Eugene Visser wrote:

                                    > >And maybe, just maybe, one day I'll own a fugu...
                                    >
                                    > Though the upwind performance really sucks(sorry... I had to say that ;-)

                                    Ehmm, what's a fugu?
                                    The kiting equivalent of the holy grail or an actual kite?
                                    R!

                                    -- ,--+___. oOOOOOOo
                                    ,/ | \ / /
                                    ___ / | \. Rainer Leuschke / /
                                    __ / | \. phone: (w) 206-685-0900 / /
                                    __ / 14 |\ \ (h) 206-547-8927 / /
                                    | ~~ | \ \ / /
                                    | | \ \ / /
                                    | | \ \ Weight is only of use / /
                                    | | \ | in steamrollers. o /
                                    +--o o--| \ | - Uffa Fox 'U~
                                    .|_[]{ }_|------+======' )\
                                    M|_______________| -;---'
                                    U H

                                    Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! ZERO! Rates as low as 0.0%
                                    Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points,
                                    no hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the credit
                                    you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:
                                    http://click.egroups.com/1/931/2/_/19/_/949531962/

                                    -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=kitesurf&m=1
                                  • Eugene Visser
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 2, 2000
                                      Hiya,
                                      Fugu is Japanese for blowfish IIRC and one of PL's big inflatable single
                                      line kites... ;-) Have a look at one on his website... the children really
                                      like them and it should distract them and keep them out of our harms way on
                                      particularly crowded day(maybe get me one of those too!!!)

                                      Ciao,

                                      On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Eugene Visser wrote:

                                      > >And maybe, just maybe, one day I'll own a fugu...
                                      >
                                      > Though the upwind performance really sucks(sorry... I had to say that ;-)

                                      Ehmm, what's a fugu?
                                      The kiting equivalent of the holy grail or an actual kite?
                                      R!

                                      -- ,--+___. oOOOOOOo
                                      ,/ | \ / /
                                      ___ / | \. Rainer Leuschke / /
                                      __ / | \. phone: (w) 206-685-0900 / /
                                      __ / 14 |\ \ (h) 206-547-8927 / /
                                      | ~~ | \ \ / /
                                      | | \ \ / /
                                      | | \ \ Weight is only of use / /
                                      | | \ | in steamrollers. o /
                                      +--o o--| \ | - Uffa Fox 'U~
                                      .|_[]{ }_|------+======' )\
                                      M|_______________| -;---'
                                      U H

                                      Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! ZERO! Rates as low as 0.0%
                                      Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points,
                                      no hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the credit
                                      you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:
                                      http://click.egroups.com/1/931/2/_/19/_/949531962/

                                      -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=kitesurf&m=1
                                    • ANDY
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 2, 2000
                                        Hey Eric
                                        I have some of my good used Naish kites for sale if you want to save a
                                        buck or two, I posted them on the groups last week but can send the
                                        details to you if you missed it. As of Friday, at kitehigh we will be
                                        accepting credit cards, nearly there!
                                        I read your email and had to smile
                                        It sounds like everyone has these bad days reading these e-mails, its
                                        good to hear of other kiters experiences, it's seems to be just a matter
                                        of hanging in there until it it starts to click, then all the bad days
                                        start to seem worthwhile.
                                        I can clearly remember being stuck in 1 foot of water in the middle of a
                                        large coral reef on a super low, full moon tides at Lower Kanaha in
                                        Maui with a small swell running. I was a long way offshore in one foot
                                        of water (after my
                                        fin hit the reef) with my kite pulling like mad, with me on my belly ,
                                        then my board 'bouncing' tail, then fins across the reef, stretching
                                        the leash to its limit and I remember thinking...., OK now what( among
                                        other things)?? Eventually I had to give in and quick released my kite
                                        (no Chris Gilbert/Naish depowering system out yet). Reel the twisted,
                                        tangled mess in and head to
                                        shore to lick my cuts and nurture my bruised ego....just when I thought
                                        I had it kind of worked out....
                                        About 2 months ago, I lost my kite down the coast 3 times in 2
                                        weeks.... from out the back of the breakers! 3
                                        LONG paddles, thankfully there are lots of cool people working at the
                                        harbor, kind enough to roll it up and wait for me to get in!
                                        Looking back it's all kind of funny and a bit of a story, although on
                                        the days that it happens it sucks, the thoughts of 'why am I
                                        bothering', start to creep in.
                                        To the kiters not going upwind YET, all those days of hitching or
                                        walking back up the coast are well worth it that first day you
                                        hit the same beach you launched from. What a feeling! Finally!!! then
                                        the airtime starts if it hasn't already!. I'm sure many kiters out there
                                        remember this feeling.
                                        Get out there, every new days just that, on the bad days try and
                                        remember the days you learned something, it
                                        helped me a lot, although I still have those days, just like your
                                        dealing with it Eric, its all a matter of perspective.

                                        Kite on
                                        Andy Heaton
                                        kitehigh.com
                                        (Coming This Weekend)
                                      • Stephen McCormack
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 3, 2000
                                          Or even more accurately a "Bernoulli" device, not sure about the accuracy of
                                          my spelling though :-) and
                                          Goodwinds
                                          Steve McCormack
                                          www.kitepoweraustralia.com
                                          kitepower@...

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 3, 2000
                                            In a message dated 2/2/2000 5:49:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                            EVISSER@... writes:

                                            > Though the upwind performance really sucks

                                            but people sure would watch...
                                          • SeanCMurph@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 3, 2000
                                              In a message dated 2/2/2000 5:53:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                              rainer@... writes:

                                              > Ehmm, what's a fugu?

                                              A fugu isn't really a kite...it's more like a giant (8m diameter give or
                                              take) wind sock -- or bernoulli (?) device for the purists...

                                              They look pretty cool, and make buying a water foil seem like gettin' a toy
                                              kite for the kid...mucho buckage...

                                              And the upwind performance probably WOULD suck...

                                              Sean