[ksurf] Re: tough launch areas

  • KiteBoard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2000
      O1withwind@... writes:

      << > Anybody tried a
      > 2-line foil with a reelbar?

      Yup,
      with no way to depower the kite for landing and no way to use a safety line
      (wipika style won't work, just causes the kite to spin and power up) its an
      all around bad idea. I saw some newbies get dragged down the beach face
      first while trying to land with a setup like this. I'd recomend a wipika
      and
      a reel bar, then look at hung vu's site to see how to set up the safety line
      for a reel bar. >>

      Is there a way to depower a 2-line foil for landing with a NON-reel bar?

      Wouldn't the "Wipika style" (tube over one line w/leash at top of tube?) work
      if it was long enough? (full kite-span) Isn't that what's required with a
      non-reel bar?

      Tom
    • Steve Shugart
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2000
        kiteboar-@... wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=9582
        > When considering KiteSki, check Banshee. Either will stay wherever
        you land
        > them (until you pick up the leading edge) hence their reelbar need.
        I've
        > used 2-line inflatables with a reelbar which works fine. Anybody
        tried a
        > 2-line foil with a reelbar?
        >
        > Tom

        I tried my 5.0 ATK in the park with my reel bar 2 line. It work ok, but
        if the lines don't wind up exactly the same, one can become longer than
        the other, if the kite is not inflated this can make it harder to steer.

        I also tried the reel in 4 line mode, I need to add some deslacking
        bungee
        on the brakes otherwise it has a tendancy to foul up the lines in the
        reel.

        Finally decided to brave the cold and flew the ATK 5.0 in really gusty
        conditions, got dragged into the lake, the kite was relaunchable and
        still
        had air in it after 7 or 8 minutes of letting it drag me to the other
        shore.

        Steve
      • Frank Kubin
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2000
          I usually launch from a leeward shore with heavy cover. Normally I weigh the
          Wipika down on shore, wade out to extend the lines and then walk out in the
          shallows to a launchable area. The kite is dragged all over the place and
          why I am usually using the inflatable. Getting out to deeper water is more
          of a challenge depending on wind direction and strength.
          As I get my butt to better launch sites I'll make more use of my F-one and
          other foils.

        • Fritz Gramkowski
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2000
            kiteboar-@... wrote:
            original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=9605
            > In a message dated 2/1/00 8:06:49 AM Pacific Standard Time,
            > O1withwind@... writes:
            >
            > << > Anybody tried a
            > > 2-line foil with a reelbar?
            > >
            > Yup,
            > with no way to depower the kite for landing and no way to use a
            safety line
            > (wipika style won't work, just causes the kite to spin and power up)
            its an
            > all around bad idea. I saw some newbies get dragged down the beach
            face
            > first while trying to land with a setup like this. I'd recomend a
            wipika
            > and
            > a reel bar, then look at hung vu's site to see how to set up the
            safety line
            > for a reel bar. >>
            >

            > Is there a way to depower a 2-line foil for landing with a NON-reel
            bar?

            > Wouldn't the "Wipika style" (tube over one line w/leash at top of
            tube?) work
            > if it was long enough? (full kite-span) Isn't that what's required
            with a
            > non-reel bar?
            >
            > Tom
            As previously stated this doesn't work with a 2 line foil because half
            of the kite will always stay inflated no matter how much line you let
            out. The bridle points on a Wipika or Naish are at the wing tips, so
            if you put enough slack on one line the kite will depower. The bridles
            on a foil are not at the wing tip and they work with the internal
            pressure to give the kite its shape. Releasing one line will only
            depower half of the kite, the kite will go into a spin and slowly loose
            altitude until it crashes.

            You should be able fly a foil in three line mode off of a reel bar and
            apply a system similar to the Hung Vu tubing one used on a Wipika to
            the third line to depower the kite by dropping the bar.

            Has anyone tried 3 lines on a reel boom?
            It is amazing how well the kite ski system can launch from anywhere.
            Still even with out a real bar I can launch from some tight places, if
            the water is shallow all a need is enough space to lay out my kite.

            Fritz
          • David Raue
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2000
              There'd be a risk of concentrating an enormous amount of force on just a
              few bridle lines. Normally the forces are pretty evenly distributed.
              Foils don't like that kind of treatment very much, at least mine don't -
              things like torn skin, pulled out attachment points, etc. But as a last
              resort, I guess the kite would stop!

              ----------
              > From: KiteBoard@...
              > To: kitesurf@egroups.com
              > Subject: [ksurf] Re: tough launch areas
              > Date: Tuesday, February 01, 2000 2:32 PM
              >
              > In a message dated 2/1/00 8:06:49 AM Pacific Standard Time,
              > O1withwind@... writes:
              >
              > << > Anybody tried a
              > > 2-line foil with a reelbar?
              > >
              > Yup,
              > with no way to depower the kite for landing and no way to use a safety
              line
              > (wipika style won't work, just causes the kite to spin and power up) its
              an
              > all around bad idea. I saw some newbies get dragged down the beach face

              > first while trying to land with a setup like this. I'd recomend a
              wipika
              > and
              > a reel bar, then look at hung vu's site to see how to set up the safety
              line
              > for a reel bar. >>
              >

              > Is there a way to depower a 2-line foil for landing with a NON-reel bar?
              >
              > Wouldn't the "Wipika style" (tube over one line w/leash at top of tube?)
              work
              > if it was long enough? (full kite-span) Isn't that what's required with
              > non-reel bar?
              >
              > Tom

              > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=kitesurf&m=1

            • Ian Young
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2, 2000
                > Is there a way to depower a 2-line foil for landing with a NON-reel bar?

                Not directly downwind, but I just park my kite down on the edge of the wind
                window - I usually snag it on the plastic bins on the beach but if I miss I just
                keep tension on the bottom line as it rolls directly downwind - it doesn't power
                up at all.

                > Wouldn't the "Wipika style" (tube over one line w/leash at top of tube?) work
                > if it was long enough?

                The bridling on a foil makes it act like two single line kites sewn together -
                worse if cross-bridled. If you release (or de-tension) one line, the other half
                will continue to fly and spin around the released side of the wing at a great
                rate of knots - you will get a reduction in power and the kite will spiral to the
                deck and totally depower but it takes time (usually 3-4 rotations).

                > (full kite-span) Isn't that what's required with a non-reel bar?

                Makes no difference if it is a reel bar or not

                Cheers,
                Ian Young

                WinDesigns Australia - Australia's First Kite Ski&Surf School
                9 Oliver St, Scarborough, WA, AUSTRALIA, 6019
                Phone: +61 8 9245 4603
                Fax: +61 8 9245 4657
                Mobile: 0414 716 812
                Email: IanYoung@...
                Webpage: http://www.iinet.net.au/~ianyoung/
              • O1withwind@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2000
                  In a message dated 2/1/00 2:32:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, KiteBoard@...
                  writes:

                  > Is there a way to depower a 2-line foil for landing with a NON-reel bar?
                  >
                  > Wouldn't the "Wipika style" (tube over one line w/leash at top of tube?)
                  > work
                  > if it was long enough? (full kite-span) Isn't that what's required with a
                  > non-reel bar?
                  >
                  > Tom
                  Tom,
                  with all the current soft kites on the market, using a two line bar is asking
                  for trouble. when you drop one line the kite will always go into a power
                  spin. It may depower a little bit but in higher winds it may even power up
                  more, and if your kite has cross bridleing like the mosiquto it will power up
                  big if you just drop one line. reguardless a foil in the air spining on one
                  line is imposible to controll and a danger to anyone around you on the beach.
                  This is why most of the foil makers recomend you fly their foils on no less
                  than three lines. The brakes coming to the center of the bar gives you a way
                  to depower and maintain control of the kite. Since the brake line needs only
                  be #150 line or so, it doesen't add much drag. GOD FORBID you use a reel bar
                  with one of these kites if it got away from you the kite will not depower and
                  the bar is heavy enough to keep the kite flying till the bar snags on
                  something ( like that spectators child ) then the kites powers up more and
                  continues to fly and beat itself on the ground till it gets trashed or
                  snagged on that other little kid building a sand castle. So, even if you
                  think "oh I can just let go" The kite will still be a danger to anyone
                  within 500meters or so.
                  If you're curious, find an EMPTY beach and try droping one line with your
                  kite high and near the center of power. don't forget the wrist leash on your
                  bar for the full getting dragged on your face effect.
                  FLY SAFE
                  PEACE&WIND
                  Josh Young
                • David Raue
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 2, 2000
                    ----------
                    > From: Fritz Gramkowski <fritz@...>
                    > To: kitesurf@...
                    > Subject: [ksurf] Re: tough launch areas
                    > Date: Tuesday, February 01, 2000 8:33 PM
                    >
                    >>snip<<

                    > As previously stated this doesn't work with a 2 line foil because half
                    > of the kite will always stay inflated no matter how much line you let
                    > out. The bridle points on a Wipika or Naish are at the wing tips, so
                    > if you put enough slack on one line the kite will depower. The bridles
                    > on a foil are not at the wing tip and they work with the internal
                    > pressure to give the kite its shape. Releasing one line will only
                    > depower half of the kite, the kite will go into a spin and slowly loose
                    > altitude until it crashes.

                    With all due respect I must disagree. The bridle is dimensioned to give
                    the arch shape when both sides of the bridle are more-or-less pointing
                    towards the same point (the flier). Let go of one side and the geometry is
                    all upset. You might have a few cells still inflated, but the cells on
                    with slack bridle lines, i.e., those distant on either side would be unable
                    to inflate. I think you'd see a QUICK collapse/spiral into a tangled
                    mess. If stopping the kite in an emergency is the goal then this would
                    "work." But forget relaunching! I gotta believe this would also be hell
                    on the kite. But I avoid doing this stuff, tell me if my thinking is all
                    wrong, later,

                    Dave
                  • Fritz Gramkowski
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 2, 2000
                      "david raue" <therave-@...> wrote:
                      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=9643
                      > ----------
                      > > From: Fritz Gramkowski <fritz@...>
                      > > To: kitesurf@...
                      > > Subject: [ksurf] Re: tough launch areas
                      > > Date: Tuesday, February 01, 2000 8:33 PM
                      > >
                      > >>snip<<
                      >
                      > > As previously stated this doesn't work with a 2 line foil because
                      half
                      > > of the kite will always stay inflated no matter how much line you
                      let
                      > > out. The bridle points on a Wipika or Naish are at the wing tips,
                      so
                      > > if you put enough slack on one line the kite will depower. The
                      bridles
                      > > on a foil are not at the wing tip and they work with the internal
                      > > pressure to give the kite its shape. Releasing one line will only
                      > > depower half of the kite, the kite will go into a spin and slowly
                      loose
                      > > altitude until it crashes.
                      >
                      > With all due respect I must disagree. The bridle is dimensioned to
                      give
                      > the arch shape when both sides of the bridle are more-or-less pointing
                      > towards the same point (the flier). Let go of one side and the
                      geometry is
                      > all upset. You might have a few cells still inflated, but the cells
                      on
                      > with slack bridle lines, i.e., those distant on either side would be
                      unable
                      > to inflate. I think you'd see a QUICK collapse/spiral into a tangled
                      > mess. If stopping the kite in an emergency is the goal then this
                      would
                      > "work." But forget relaunching! I gotta believe this would also be
                      hell
                      > on the kite. But I avoid doing this stuff, tell me if my thinking is
                      all
                      > wrong, later,
                      >
                      > Dave

                      How much a kite depowers depends on the bridles. I have experience
                      letting go of one line using cross bridled peels (buggying over powered
                      in gusty off shore winds). Because it is extensively cross bridled a
                      Peel stays about 3/4 inflated and goes into a spin and slowly
                      descends. Most current foils do not have as much cross bridling as a
                      Peel but will exhibit similar behavior, one half collapses and the
                      other stays pretty much inflated and partially powered up. The kite
                      goes into a spin and eventually crashes. I have seen this when I have
                      broken a line, the kite partially collapses (less if its a valved foil)
                      and goes into a spin, it depoweres quit a bit but not completely. You
                      end up with a mess, not too bad to sort out on land but I wouldn't want
                      to try and do it on the water. I hope no one thought I was
                      recommending this method as I don't think it will work on the water, I
                      recommended using a third line to de-power the kite in the next
                      paragraph of the origonal post.

                      For foils the best way to collaspe and depower is to use the brakes,
                      for four lines pull in both or use a third line attached to both brake
                      lines on the kite, if you slacken the power lines and keep tension on
                      the brake lines the kite will collaspe, depower, and not should not be
                      too hard to relaunch.

                      Fritz
                    • KiteBoard@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 2, 2000
                        In a message dated 2/1/00 5:37:05 PM Pacific Standard Time, fritz@...
                        writes:

                        << As previously stated this doesn't work with a 2 line foil because half
                        of the kite will always stay inflated no matter how much line you let
                        out. >>

                        Somebody else mentioned it, since I'd forgotten about those pesky bridles,
                        although theraves@... writes:
                        << But as a last resort, I guess the kite would stop! ...If stopping the kite
                        in an emergency is the goal then this would "work.">>

                        My real point was that a two-line foil shouldn't work any worse with a
                        reelbar, than with a plain bar.

                        Tom
                      • KiteBoard@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 2, 2000
                          ianyoung@... writes:

                          << Makes no difference if it is a reel bar or not >>

                          That's all I really meant.

                          Tom
                        • KiteBoard@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 2, 2000
                            O1withwind@... writes:

                            << with all the current soft kites on the market, using a two line bar is
                            asking
                            for trouble. >>

                            Again, that's all I meant. You seemed to be blaming the reel (possibly my
                            misinterpretation), when in fact the problem is any bar with a two-line foil.

                            << GOD FORBID you use a reel bar
                            with one of these kites if it got away from you >>

                            Well who wouldn't even have a leash on his kite?

                            << the kite will not depower and
                            the bar is heavy enough to keep the kite flying till the bar snags on
                            something ( like that spectators child ) then the kites powers up more and
                            continues to fly and beat itself on the ground till it gets trashed or
                            snagged on that other little kid building a sand castle. So, even if you
                            think "oh I can just let go" The kite will still be a danger to anyone
                            within 500meters or so. >>

                            Possibly even more

                            << If you're curious, find an EMPTY beach and try droping one line with your
                            kite high and near the center of power. don't forget the wrist leash on
                            your
                            bar for the full getting dragged on your face effect. >>

                            If I was stupid enough to try that (which I'm not), I'd do it where I do all
                            similar (though usually somewhat less foolish) testing, in offshore winds in
                            the bay. That way the worst case scenario is a body drag, followed by
                            releasing the leash from my wrist, then kite flying across open water while I
                            swim a short distance to shore.

                            Tom