[ksurf] Re: Line length with Wipika 8.5

  • Frank Kubin
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2000
      You might want to try the acceleration tuning for the bridle as shown on the
      Wipika site. I found it made a big difference. Though a big Wipika is never
      going to turn as fast as many other kites.
    • Gurpreet Pandher
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2000
        I found today that my Wipika 8.5 in 4-line mode was turning so slowly. I had
        to start pulling it out of a dive half way down its dive. Consequently I
        found that I was crashing the kite for the first time in ages. The wind was
        at the lower end of the kite's range and I had the front lines let out as
        far
        as my set-up would allow. With the kite overhead, it looked as though there
        was still slightly more tension on the front lines than the back lines. Is
        it
        that the front lines needed to be let out further when the wind is light? If
        so, how much (equal tension front and back or more tension on the back
        lines)?

        I've also had problems relaunching in 4-line, because the kite has been able
        rotate on its own axis and invert itself on the water.

        Overall I'm thinking of returning to 2-line.
        Where am I going wrong?

        Fly high, Simon.

        Dave Folkard wrote:-
        >Wipika 8.5 (2 line mode) owners.
        >Try 4 line mode. (details on www.wipika.com )
        >I know its a bit of a hassle to initially sort out, but its well worth it.

        >a) Turning is much, much faster.
        >b) Angle of attack can be adjusted using the floating cleat to front lines.
        >This increases the max wind range of the kite (20knots+ ?). This set up
        >seems preferable to the extra harness loop used by some 4 liners.
        >c) Water launches are even easier.
        >d) You dont get those annoying bridle tangles that you occasionally get
        with
        >the two line set up.

        >IMHO you will never want to go back to 2 line mode
        >There heve been several other postings from people have sung the praises of
        >Wipikas in four line mode.
        >Has anybody tried it an not liked it ?
      • Dave Folkard
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2000
          > I found today that my Wipika 8.5 in 4-line mode was turning so slowly. I
          had
          > to start pulling it out of a dive half way down its dive. Consequently I
          > found that I was crashing the kite for the first time in ages. The wind
          was
          > at the lower end of the kite's range and I had the front lines let out as
          > far
          > as my set-up would allow. With the kite overhead, it looked as though
          there
          > was still slightly more tension on the front lines than the back lines. Is
          > it
          > that the front lines needed to be let out further when the wind is light?
          If
          > so, how much (equal tension front and back or more tension on the back
          > lines)?

          a) I think you can let out the front lines too much. This can slow the kite
          down such that it only just wants to fly forward. When you put in a turn
          this slows the kite even more and it stops flying properly (and crashes).

          b) Are you sure there just wasn't enough wind?
          Sometimes the wind speed is significantly higher a few tens of feet above
          the ground and thus as you dive the kite it moves into even lighter wind
          (Was it hard to get the kite off the ground/water?) (This phenominum tends
          to happen more in the winter because you get less mixing of the air layers
          at different heights due to thermal activity)

          c) It appears that big foils are the real answer to light winds.

          > I've also had problems relaunching in 4-line, because the kite has been
          able
          > rotate on its own axis and invert itself on the water.

          Havn't seen this one? I wonder if you pump the leading edge up hard enough.

          > Overall I'm thinking of returning to 2-line.
          I'm surprised.

          Good luck

          Dave
          PS are you in the sea down there at this time of year ?