[ksurf] Re: Kiteboard

  • Eric Steinbroner
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 7, 1998
      Steve:

      Which kiteboard are you referring to? From what I know, there seems to be a
      few coming out of Maui which are similar to the tow in boards that Laird
      Hamilton's group was using. There is also development by Peter Lynn with a
      board that's like a wakeboard. And then you've got the F-One, Open Ocean,
      Logosz, etc.... (sorry if I missed any other manufacturers).

      Eric

      P.S. How fast are you going on snow? Do you jump?

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 7, 1998
        Kiteboard is the brand name for the Peter Lynn SIT DOWN yellow banana thing
        isnt it ??

      • Steve Shapson
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 7, 1998
          I was referring to the new Peter Lynn KITEBOARD. I didn't know there
          were so many out on the marketplace. Can you send me any pics or info on
          other boards?

          The Lynn KITEBOARD is a sit down planing hull with center daggers and
          aft twin rudders. Since many kiteskiers/sailors don't windsurf(yet),
          sitting down is important. The sitdown version of the sport of course
          originated out of the kite buggying aspect.

          steve
        • stephanie.kane@xtra.co.nz
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 9, 1998
            Carstens, Henning wrote:

            > Do i have to be connected to the kiteboard?

            YES. It is a good idea if you are sailing far from shore to use a 2-3m
            bungy leg leash attached to the front carry handle. Only occassionally
            have I managed to swim back to the boat to remount, it is much easier
            with a leash. There are several ways of re-mounting the boat. I tug
            the leash and move the boat downwind then use kite power to pull me up
            onto it whilst wiggling caterpiller style. Somepeople prefer to be
            pulled onto it feet first and others hop onto the back.

            Here in New Zealand we use the Kiteboard to teach Sailboarders to fly
            kites in a dynamic context. Being out in shallow waters they cannot
            dammage kites or themselves. Learning to optimise kite handling for
            upwind travel on the boat quickens the learning of that aspect when kite
            surfing.

            I've been trying Peter's contraptions for many years, I can see
            potential for sitdown sailing, in fact many people enjoy it immensely.
            I like to sail on the kiteboard when the wind is too gusty (we have fohn
            wind here) or not strong enough to bother surfing. Lately It has been
            because my feet are sore from jumping (ksurfing only of course).
            Another tip - wear goggles when planing at high speed or you can't see.

            I hope there are many cross overs from buggying. Here, we buggy with
            seatbelts, extreme buggying through big dunes is popular, some crazy
            things happen eg. 15m long 360s. I think a seat belt on the kiteboard
            will allow bigger jumps, better wave riding and eskimo rolling using
            kite power.
          • paul menta
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 19, 1999
              yo todd,i have used all that you have asked about.the hyperlite has better
              pop,but takes some time to get used to the way it edges.as far as the trip,i
              think its great,needs the fins modified a bit,but the cut and response is
              awsome.you will find for the kite that the trip planes better and is eaiser
              to make the transition to fakie to change direction.watch your trip though,i
              am on my 3rd one ,graphics always peel off,no biggie,but make sure you have
              the new 2000.some of the other ones ,due to high sales,i think wre sub
              contracted out and not built the same as the liquid people,so the delaminate
              after some sort time.for me every 2 months,but dont get me wrong the board
              is great andthe custmer service rules,sent new boards right out,no pissn and
              moanig.thats clutch when a big company can do that,i think wake boards will
              come on stron in the kite world because of the tricks!
              so if you think a double can pop you high in the clouds,wait to you load the
              line on a kite and go..............nuthing like it...

              paul in the keys........