[ksurf] Re: ksurfing w / dolphins

  • Raul F Argilagos
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2000
      well this was a pretty cool weekend so I thought I'd share with
      everybody what I did. I was out on Sunday kitesurfing on the
      ocean side of the sunshine skyway bridge in Tampa, FL
      (read, huge-miles) in 10-15kts and slowly working my way
      upwind on my 7.0m2 and 215cm F-ones when I run across
      a big pod of dolphins just swimming across my path.
      So what do I do? Jibe and sail along with them (probably
      6-7 of them swimming along) all the way to the shore, apparently
      they were chasing some bait fish or other. I just think that was
      a great cruising experience on my kiteboard - definitely you can
      use a kitesurf rig for wandering around and cruising along just
      as good as any windsurfing rig, maybe better since you are more
      agile even at slower speeds.
      Raul

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2000
        Wow - cool story. Thanks
        >well this was a pretty cool weekend so I thought I'd share with
        >everybody what I did. I was out on Sunday kitesurfing on the
        >ocean side of the sunshine skyway bridge in Tampa, FL
        >(read, huge-miles) in 10-15kts and slowly working my way
        >upwind on my 7.0m2 and 215cm F-ones when I run across
        >a big pod of dolphins just swimming across my path.
        >So what do I do? Jibe and sail along with them (probably
        >6-7 of them swimming along) all the way to the shore, apparently
        >they were chasing some bait fish or other. I just think that was
        >a great cruising experience on my kiteboard - definitely you can
        >use a kitesurf rig for wandering around and cruising along just
        >as good as any windsurfing rig, maybe better since you are more
        >agile even at slower speeds.
        >Raul

        >Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! Rates as low as 2.9%
        >Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points,
        >no hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the
        >credit you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:

        >-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=kitesurf&m=1

      • Steve Bateman
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2000
          Raul F Argilagos wrote:

          > a big pod of dolphins just swimming across my path.
          > So what do I do? Jibe and sail along with them (probably
          > 6-7 of them swimming along) all the way to the shore, apparently
          > they were chasing some bait fish or other. I just think that was
          > a great cruising experience on my kiteboard -

          Reminds me of a buggy experience at El Mirage Dry lake. In the
          summer, you can sometimes buggy cross wind along with bats, as they
          catch bugs blowing downwind. Quite cool

          --
          Steve Bateman geokite at sprintmail dot com