[ksurf] Surf kite buying decision - BAD!

  • Eric Savener
    Message 1 of 53 , Jan 31, 2000
      Let's just say that I'm damn glad I asked.

      It looks like we're delaying our kite purchase for now. The prices of
      the ones we REALLY want are $1,000 to $1,100 and the one we could live
      with (C-Quad) is about $450. It looks like a cool sport, but I'm not
      sure it's $1,100 worth of cool and we can't decide whether or not to
      buy the cheaper one, so we're going to think about it for a while. The
      water is probably too damn cold right now anyway (in Texas). I HATE
      cold water.

      I have the same problem with used kites that I had with paragliders - I
      don't want to buy one sight unseen and there just are not any around
      here to go look at. I still may buy a C-Quad and I still may buy a
      used something else that is absolutely water relaunchable.

      I really appreciate all of the input. One of my continuing sources of
      info. will be to go back through the previous few weeks msgs. to learn
      more.

      Eric

      "erik fryman" <efryma-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=9549
      > I too was in the same boat as Eric, I wanted a kite for Kitesurfing
      but
      > didn't really want to spend the money for a "real" water
      re-launchable kite.
      > I got the C-quad because I read on the Peter Lynn site that it was
      > re-launchable and it was cheap. Well after having flown the C-quad on
      land
      > for awhile I took it out on the water for some body dragging. And I
      can
      > testify that this kite is by no means re-launchable. Every time I
      dumped it
      > in the water it was impossible for me to get it back up again. Even
      when I
      > was standing in ankle deep water. At least I learned to fly a 4-line
      kite
      > fairly well with it. Finally broke down and got a CA, even though I
      haven't
      > had much luck with it. Got another tear on the bottom skin the other
      day
      > while out body dragging. Think I will send it back to Michel and have
      him
      > take a look at it.
      > Winds are supposed to be 15 mph and cross-shore tomorrow, so I think
      I'll
      > venture out with my C-quad. Just have to try and keep it in the air.
      Heading
      > down to Key West on Friday, so hopefully I'll have my problems with
      the CA
      > worked out by then.
      >
      > Erik

      We
      > > want
      > > hang

      > > size
      > > 1/2
      handles/lines/shipping
      > > ) of

      > > seen on

      > > this

    • Eric Savener
      Message 53 of 53 , Feb 1, 2000
        Hey Kinsley,

        Thanks for the response. I spent a lot of time on your website looking
        up paragliding/paramotor equip. a few months ago (I bought a Fly
        Products, but you weren't a dealer then). Now I've been looking at
        kitesurfing stuff there too. I watched kitesurf jumping and speed runs
        on some sports channel today and it got me all fired up.

        I had so many people poo-poo the C-Quad idea that I've changed my mind.
        I think I'll hold off for a month or 2 until I can afford a
        Wipika/Naish inflatable, or a Mosquito Pro KS. Those are the ones I
        REALLY want. As soon as I decide I'll buy something from you. How
        about running a "Spring Clearance Sale" sometime soon?

        Eric

        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=9615