[ksurf] Re: Line length with Wipika 8.5

  • Keith Meder
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
      Mark I like your suggestion of using shorter lines with the Wipika 8.5.
      I just started kitesurfing last summer and tried both 30 meter and 40
      meter lines. The longer lines do increase the size of the wind window
      and they lengthen the power zone, but it does make the reaction time of
      the 8.5, which is slow, even slower.
      I noticed in the video "Learning Flysurfing" with Christopher Tasti, he
      seemed to be using shorter lines with the 8.5.
      I bought a pair of 20 meter lines and the first time I flew my 8.5 with
      them, I really liked the way it handled. Even though the wind window
      was smaller, I was still able to generate pretty good power since I
      could get the kite to move and react much faster.
      I live in Dallas and the water is too cold right now, but I am really
      looking forward to trying the shorter lines with my board.
      I've flown the 5.0 with the 20 meter lines, but I think 30 meter lines
      work better with it. I bought a pair of 10 meter lines that I can
      easily attach to the 20 meter lines. This way I can have 30 meter or 20
      meter lines depending on the kite I need.

      Keith

      Mark Tober wrote:

      > Use shorter lines (20m) or 4-lines, on 40m lines it reacts only slower
      >
      > Hi,
      > got a Wipika 8.5 (30 m lines) and tried it for the first time in
      > summer at L'ile Rousse (Korsika, France?) (Scusi Amici!!) with an
      > old 6"1 Surfboard. It seemed to me very slow in reaction - maybe it's
      > my bad experience - it was getting better later in the year at
      > Tarifa, Spain, thanks a lot, Michel from Funworks, Tarifa. Now I'm
      > exiting to try it once again with my new board 6"3 from Michel and
      > also my new Mosquito pro KS 4 .0 . My question:
      >
      > A friend of mine has got an the advice that the 8.5 Wipika will react
      > much better with 40 m line length. Has anyone experience with that
      > line length and Wipika 8.5 (and others)? Thank u a lot guys.
      > Keep on kiting!
      > Axel
      > Axel Stauff
      > c/o Berufskolleg für Wirtschaft und Verwaltung
      > Lothringerstraße 10
      > 52062 Aachen
      > Call/Fax +49 2408 7751

      > Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! ZERO! Rates as low as
      > 0.0% Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no
      > hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the credit
      >
      > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/

      > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=kitesurf&m=1
    • Mark Tober
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
[...]

        you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:
        http://click.egroups.com/1/974/2/_/19/_/949336083/

        eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/
      • Matt Bartell
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
          Hello everyone:

          First let me say that I am new to kitesurfing, in fact I can not even get on
          the water until the ice melts in march-April.

          I have a question that I have not yet seen addressed buy this group. I will
          be kitesurfing on inland lakes. Almost all of the nearby lakes are
          surrounded by trees that will make launching a kite on land and than flying
          it to the water impossible. I have no interest in snagging a $1000 kite on a
          tree trying to get it to the water. In fact I think that even just flying it
          by the brindles may be risky. The best(?) idea that I have so far, is to use
          a c-quad with float tubes, and walk out into the shallow water to launch it.
          This in fact may be a benefit to the flat design of the c-quad, because it
          will not just "auto launch" as I walk the lines tight.

          My only experience so far is with a c-quad and a snowboard on the snowy
          frozen lake; so I just walk out and launch from the snow.

          I would be happy to buy true water launch-able kite, but I need a reasonable
          answer to this concern first. I am worried about an inflatable just blowing
          away, and a ram-air getting soaked before it is inflated. I can not count on
          having someone available to assist me with launching an inflatable or any
          other kite.

          Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

          Thanks,

          Matt
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
            I use 40 m lines with my Wipi 8.5. I shorten to 30m in strong wind but like
            the 40 m otherwise. Longer lines give you a longer power stroke which is
            necessary if the wind is light. Have you made the bridle adjustment
            recomended by Wipika to speed up the 8.5. If not give it a try. It will
            help a bit but it is a big beast and turns a bit slow.

            Steve Swartz
            Carson City, Nevada USA
            steverite@...

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
              How about the Kiteski system? From what I understand it won't fly away
              from you till you want it to, is designed for reeling in/out, and
              relaunches well from water. Give Cory a call to discuss. Your launch
              situation sounds to me like an accident waiting to happen with the
              usual foils or inflatables.

              dave

              "matt bartell" <mbartel-@...> wrote:
              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=9548
              > Hello everyone:
              >
              > First let me say that I am new to kitesurfing, in fact I can not even
              get on
              > the water until the ice melts in march-April.
              >
              > I have a question that I have not yet seen addressed buy this group.
              I will
              > be kitesurfing on inland lakes. Almost all of the nearby lakes are
              > surrounded by trees that will make launching a kite on land and than
              flying
              > it to the water impossible. I have no interest in snagging a $1000
              kite on a
              > tree trying to get it to the water. In fact I think that even just
              flying it
              > by the brindles may be risky. The best(?) idea that I have so far, is
              to use
              > a c-quad with float tubes, and walk out into the shallow water to
              launch it.
              > This in fact may be a benefit to the flat design of the c-quad,
              because it
              > will not just "auto launch" as I walk the lines tight.
              >
              > My only experience so far is with a c-quad and a snowboard on the
              snowy
              > frozen lake; so I just walk out and launch from the snow.
              >
              > I would be happy to buy true water launch-able kite, but I need a
              reasonable
              > answer to this concern first. I am worried about an inflatable just
              blowing
              > away, and a ram-air getting soaked before it is inflated. I can not
              count on
              > having someone available to assist me with launching an inflatable or
              any
              > other kite.
              >
              > Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Matt

            • Dave Folkard
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2000
                Sorry to all who have heard this before but I think its worth a re-mention
                for the more recent members (to save all that struggling with 2 lines)

                Wipika 8.5 (2 line mode) owners.

                Try 4 line mode. (details on www.wipika.com )
                I know its a bit of a hassle to initially sort out, but its well worth it.

                There are some pics in the vault of one of my original set ups (file:
                4_line_bar)
                This arrangement was arrived at after some trial and error and discussions
                with Ken Winner. I have since changed the line attachements to use eye bolts
                which stops fingers getting trapped under lines when pointing the bar at the
                kite (on a fast turn)

                a) Turning is much, much faster.
                b) Angle of attack can be adjusted using the floating cleat to front lines.
                This increases the max wind range of the kite (20knots+ ?). This set up
                seems preferable to the extra harness loop used by some 4 liners.
                c) Water launches are even easier.
                d) You dont get those annoying bridle tangles that you occasionally get with
                the two line set up.

                IMHO you will never want to go back to 2 line mode
                There heve been several other postings from people have sung the praises of
                Wipikas in four line mode.
                Has anybody tried it an not liked it ?
                I suspect the advantages diminish with the smaller sizes.

                Regards
                Dave
              • Frank Kubin
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2000
                  You might want to try the acceleration tuning for the bridle as shown on the
                  Wipika site. I found it made a big difference. Though a big Wipika is never
                  going to turn as fast as many other kites.
                • Gurpreet Pandher
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 1, 2000
                    I found today that my Wipika 8.5 in 4-line mode was turning so slowly. I had
                    to start pulling it out of a dive half way down its dive. Consequently I
                    found that I was crashing the kite for the first time in ages. The wind was
                    at the lower end of the kite's range and I had the front lines let out as
                    far
                    as my set-up would allow. With the kite overhead, it looked as though there
                    was still slightly more tension on the front lines than the back lines. Is
                    it
                    that the front lines needed to be let out further when the wind is light? If
                    so, how much (equal tension front and back or more tension on the back
                    lines)?

                    I've also had problems relaunching in 4-line, because the kite has been able
                    rotate on its own axis and invert itself on the water.

                    Overall I'm thinking of returning to 2-line.
                    Where am I going wrong?

                    Fly high, Simon.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 2, 2000
                      > I found today that my Wipika 8.5 in 4-line mode was turning so slowly. I
                      had
                      > to start pulling it out of a dive half way down its dive. Consequently I
                      > found that I was crashing the kite for the first time in ages. The wind
                      was
                      > at the lower end of the kite's range and I had the front lines let out as
                      > far
                      > as my set-up would allow. With the kite overhead, it looked as though
                      there
                      > was still slightly more tension on the front lines than the back lines. Is
                      > it
                      > that the front lines needed to be let out further when the wind is light?
                      If
                      > so, how much (equal tension front and back or more tension on the back
                      > lines)?

                      a) I think you can let out the front lines too much. This can slow the kite
                      down such that it only just wants to fly forward. When you put in a turn
                      this slows the kite even more and it stops flying properly (and crashes).

                      b) Are you sure there just wasn't enough wind?
                      Sometimes the wind speed is significantly higher a few tens of feet above
                      the ground and thus as you dive the kite it moves into even lighter wind
                      (Was it hard to get the kite off the ground/water?) (This phenominum tends
                      to happen more in the winter because you get less mixing of the air layers
                      at different heights due to thermal activity)

                      c) It appears that big foils are the real answer to light winds.

                      > I've also had problems relaunching in 4-line, because the kite has been
                      able
                      > rotate on its own axis and invert itself on the water.

                      Havn't seen this one? I wonder if you pump the leading edge up hard enough.

                      > Overall I'm thinking of returning to 2-line.
                      I'm surprised.

                      Good luck

                      Dave
                      PS are you in the sea down there at this time of year ?