[ksurf] Re: water starting an upside down Naish?

  • Dr. Stan Schiller
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 30, 2000
      YOu have to pull only on one line for about 40 seconds (sometimes a
      minute or 2) at least depending on wind speed, but you continue pulling,
      that one line till it moves about half way or so to the edge of
      window,THEN YOU GIVE THE KITE LOTS OF SLACK ALL OF A SUDDEN......GIVE IT
      SLACK,give its slack!!!! then IT always POPS UP into a crescent
      shape,,,then you pull on lower line to guide it to edge of window,,then
      once at edge you simply pull upper line and it launches, this is one of
      the drawbacks of a naish compared to a foil, foils will launch from an
      upside down position quite easily, without having to "steer" kite to
      edge of window!!!!!!!!!!
      Stan Kauai....
    • Todd Snyder
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 30, 2000
        What about a four line naish same technique. Are they harder to wtaer
        launch and in what respect?

        Axel Stauff wrote:

        > Hi Gerry,
        > YES swimming with my kite this is what you used to do in the
        > beginning!! :-) It will not rise if it is right down wind. IMHO the
        > best is - when the kite lies upside down to pull the - for example -
        > the left side i.e. the right side of the bar and swim in the other
        > direction keeping the lines straight. Once the kite is in the egde
        > of the window you have to pull (swim, with slow wind) both lines.
        > Since the water leaves the kite it will rise - that's it.
        > Keep on kiting - not swimming ;-)
        > Axel
        > Axel Stauff
        > c/o Berufskolleg für Wirtschaft und Verwaltung
        > Lothringerstraße 10
        > 52062 Aachen
        > Call/Fax +49 2408 7751

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/kitesurf/?m=1
      • Keith Meder
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
          Try pointing one end of the control at the kite while swimming towards
          it. This should allow the kite to flatten out and fall to one side.
          Once it is on it's side, you should be able to tension the lines and it
          will work it's way to the edge of the wind window. Once it is at the
          edge of the wind window, you should be able to pull back on the upper
          line and it should launch.

          Keith

          gerryb wrote:

          > Hi
          > can anyone walk me through this? I was out on the weekend with my 5.0
          > and it was maybe ten-12 knots gusty as well. Anyhow after dumping the
          > kite a few times i was having huge trouble trying to relaunch (on
          > water). I am pretty sure there was enough wind as the kite was pulling
          > like a bastard even upside down floating on water. I tried pulling
          > the left line and allowing the kite to drift downwind and then i tried
          > the right line, same result. The kite drifts to a certain point and
          > just sits there no matter how much i yank on the left or right line.
          > Any suggestions? Do i need more wind? A walk through this one would be
          > nice!
          >
          > Thanks all
          >
          > Gerry B

          > credit you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:

          > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=kitesurf&m=1
        • gerryb

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
                There were already some decent responses to this, but I have to add two
                points:

                1) Unless you're under 100lb, a 5.0 is WAY too small in 12 knots (I'm about
                130 & can BARELY stay upwind in 10-12 knots - depending on the gradient).

                2) You do NOT have to work the kite to the side before you slacken the lines
                (at least not if the wind is anywhere near strong enough). You just have to
                slacken them a LOT: Grab both leaders with one hand, let go of the bar, &
                pull in about 20 or 30 feet of line (the more the better - to a point), then
                let go, & if the kite looks like it won't flip on it's back before the lines
                get tight then swim towards it at the same time. If there's a little bit of
                wind, you only need to pull the bar close, then let it out fast & swim hard
                for a second.

                Tom
              • KiteBoard@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
                  In a message dated 1/31/00 1:50:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                  boomjib@... writes:

                  << Are they harder to water
                  launch and in what respect? >>

                  It doesn't help much, but their latest press release says: "...the AR-5 is
                  self-launching....does, however, require slightly more skill to
                  waterstart....high performance and water launching capabilities. Available
                  in: 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 7.0, 9.0, 11.0."

                  Tom
                • Frank Kubin
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 1, 2000
                    One reason I wear gloves when kitesurfing with the Wipika. Lots of direst
                    line handling.

                  • KiteBoard@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 2, 2000
                      frank@... writes:

                      << One reason I wear gloves when kitesurfing with the Wipika. Lots of direst
                      line handling. >>

                      I've found with my Naish that if there's anywhere near enough wind to have
                      fun, I never have to touch the lines (except on land). Just pull the bar up
                      behind my head & then in one quick motion push it towards the kite while
                      kicking to help slack the lines. That's it. It took 5 seconds & the kite
                      flipped, and if the wind's really good it will usually launch on it's way to
                      the edge (sometimes nearly at the middle!).

                      Tom