[ksurf] Re: Surf kite buying decision - good/bad?

  • Ronald Kittag
    Message 1 of 53 , Jan 30, 2000
      > I've decided on a Peter Lynn C-Quad 6.3m because it is water
      > relaunchable, has good upwind capabilities, seems to be the right size
      > for our weight and wind range (we're both 185 lbs and normal days at
      > Padre Island in Texas are 8 - 14 mph winds, and it's CHEAP

      The C-Quad is not waterrelaunchable in deep water!!!! If it gets deeper than
      waist deep you'll have to swim!

      Nevertheless, I've also learned kitesurfing with this kite. It works, but be
      prepared to swim.
      It's a perfect kite in the air but a sucker on the water!!

      take care
      Ronald
    • Eric Savener
      Message 53 of 53 , Feb 1 4:57 PM
        Hey Kinsley,

        Thanks for the response. I spent a lot of time on your website looking
        up paragliding/paramotor equip. a few months ago (I bought a Fly
        Products, but you weren't a dealer then). Now I've been looking at
        kitesurfing stuff there too. I watched kitesurf jumping and speed runs
        on some sports channel today and it got me all fired up.

        I had so many people poo-poo the C-Quad idea that I've changed my mind.
        I think I'll hold off for a month or 2 until I can afford a
        Wipika/Naish inflatable, or a Mosquito Pro KS. Those are the ones I
        REALLY want. As soon as I decide I'll buy something from you. How
        about running a "Spring Clearance Sale" sometime soon?

        Eric

        "xtreme big air" <kinsle-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=9615
        > Eric,
        > Go Big and Live Extreme! Got to have the right equipment in this
        sport!
        > You might want to check www.XtremeBigAir.com/KiteSurfing
        > for gear review and used Kites.
        > On the other hand, talk to me :-) We will get you a kite so you can GO
        > BIG.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Kinsley
        > http://XtremeBigAir.com
        >
        > "eric savener" <eric_savene-@...> wrote:
        > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=9561
        > > Let's just say that I'm damn glad I asked.
        > >
        > > It looks like we're delaying our kite purchase for now. The prices
        of
        > > the ones we REALLY want are $1,000 to $1,100 and the one we could
        live
        > > with (C-Quad) is about $450. It looks like a cool sport, but I'm
        not
        > > sure it's $1,100 worth of cool and we can't decide whether or not to
        > > buy the cheaper one, so we're going to think about it for a while.
        > The
        > > water is probably too damn cold right now anyway (in Texas). I HATE
        > > cold water.
        > >
        > > I have the same problem with used kites that I had with paragliders
        -
        > > don't want to buy one sight unseen and there just are not any around
        > > here to go look at. I still may buy a C-Quad and I still may buy a
        > > used something else that is absolutely water relaunchable.
        > >
        > > I really appreciate all of the input. One of my continuing sources
        of
        > > info. will be to go back through the previous few weeks msgs. to
        learn
        > > more.
        > >
        > > Eric
        > >
        > > "erik fryman" <efryma-@...> wrote:
        > > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=9549
        > > > I too was in the same boat as Eric, I wanted a kite for
        Kitesurfing
        > > but
        > > > didn't really want to spend the money for a "real" water
        > > re-launchable kite.
        > > > I got the C-quad because I read on the Peter Lynn site that it was
        > > > re-launchable and it was cheap. Well after having flown the C-quad
        > on
        > > land
        > > > for awhile I took it out on the water for some body dragging. And
        > > can
        > > > testify that this kite is by no means re-launchable. Every time I
        > > dumped it
        > > > in the water it was impossible for me to get it back up again.
        Even
        > > when I
        > > > was standing in ankle deep water. At least I learned to fly a
        4-line
        > > kite
        > > > fairly well with it. Finally broke down and got a CA, even though
        > > haven't
        > > > had much luck with it. Got another tear on the bottom skin the
        other
        > > day
        > > > while out body dragging. Think I will send it back to Michel and
        > have
        > > him
        > > > take a look at it.
        > > > Winds are supposed to be 15 mph and cross-shore tomorrow, so I
        think
        > > I'll
        > > > venture out with my C-quad. Just have to try and keep it in the
        air.
        > > Heading
        > > > down to Key West on Friday, so hopefully I'll have my problems
        with
        > > the CA
        > > > worked out by then.
        > > >
        > > > Erik