[ksurf] Re: North Shore Maui Kitesurfing

  • srosso@bunge.com.br
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 1998
      Any word on this subject? Is this in fact true? Any outcomes?

      I remember reading the FAA regulations on this - I cant rememeber the exact
      number in feet but if you fly anything (including a kite) above about 50
      meters you need special approval from the faa for EACH time you go out !
      That means that if you have 30 meter lines keep your jumps below 20 meters
      !! hehehe - if you have 50 meter lines you cannot fly (jump) without FAA
      approval !

    • Greg
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 1998
        Can't remember the exact rules for this, but it certainly depends on where
        you live. As a paraglider, we have to take tests which assess our knowledge
        of FAA regulations regarding air rights-of-way. If you consult an FAA map
        (the ones that pilots use to plot courses) you can see which FAA flight zone
        you are in, if any. Based on this, there are different rules for "air
        travel." For instance, it is prohibited to fly within a certain altitude
        anywhere near an airport. But we used to fly at a hill that was within 600
        vertical feet of the takeoff/landing flighplan of major jets, and all we had
        to do to get access to this area was call in to the flight control tower at
        the airport. They could have cared less as long as we told them. Keep in
        mind, this was in a major flight path. I know there are restrictions for
        other areas, like 1500 line-of-sight feet from pedestrians,cars, freeways,
        public buildings, etc, but other than that, I cannot imagine that there
        would be any general rule as restrictive as 50m (less than 200 feet) on the
        open water!

        Greg

        >Any word on this subject? Is this in fact true? Any outcomes?
        >
        >I remember reading the FAA regulations on this - I cant rememeber the exact
        >number in feet but if you fly anything (including a kite) above about 50
        >meters you need special approval from the faa for EACH time you go out !
        >That means that if you have 30 meter lines keep your jumps below 20 meters
        >!! hehehe - if you have 50 meter lines you cannot fly (jump) without FAA
        >approval !

        >Leave the web behind and enter the magic world of Disney
        >Loads of games, activities, and all your favorite characters in one place
        >http://ads.egroups.com/click/133/6
        >
        >Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com

      • David Ambrose
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 1998
          when i was in maui in october i did here of a couple tickets that were
          issued to kitesurfers who had flown at camp one which is directly
          adjacent to the airport. now it is considered illegal to kitesurf at
          camp one. there is no problem a bit further down wind toward kanaha,
          or up toward sprecks.

          ---Greg <gcashen@...> wrote:

          > Can't remember the exact rules for this, but it certainly depends on
          where
          > you live. As a paraglider, we have to take tests which assess our
          knowledge
          > of FAA regulations regarding air rights-of-way. If you consult an
          FAA map
          > (the ones that pilots use to plot courses) you can see which FAA
          flight zone
          > you are in, if any. Based on this, there are different rules for "air
          > travel." For instance, it is prohibited to fly within a certain
          altitude
          > anywhere near an airport. But we used to fly at a hill that was
          within 600
          > vertical feet of the takeoff/landing flighplan of major jets, and
          all we had
          > to do to get access to this area was call in to the flight control
          tower at
          > the airport. They could have cared less as long as we told them.
          Keep in
          > mind, this was in a major flight path. I know there are restrictions
          for
          > other areas, like 1500 line-of-sight feet from pedestrians,cars,
          freeways,
          > public buildings, etc, but other than that, I cannot imagine that
          there
          > would be any general rule as restrictive as 50m (less than 200 feet)
          on the
          > open water!
          >
          > Greg

        • Dave Terry
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 1998
            Before this goes any deeper into the cow paddies, I'll let everyone know, the people who live here are extremly concerned about a number of saftey factors involved with kiting on the North Shore.

            We are in the process of establishing safe sailing zones on Maui. Our beaches are full of sailors, skindivers, surfers and fisherman. We all have to share the same tiny spaces and if you come to our expensive little rock, you should be well informed about the rules and regulations concerning your sport.

            If you are comming to this island to kitesail, please contact Karen at Hawaiian Proline. Her number is 808-877-4681. She is the US Distributor of Wipika kites and has been very involved in helping us all with this issue.

            This is a very sensitive issue here right now.When the local people finally get it all disscussed and figured out, we'll advise the tourist about our decisions. In the mean time,enjoy your local kiting area and learn how you can prepare to sail safely.

            I can tell you this..If you come to Maui, you will need to be using a DEADMAN SAFETY release. This is the first law of the land. There are innocent people on and in our waters who need to be protected. We will not tolerate tourist killing other people because a fifty knot gust ripped the bar out of your hands and sent it into the head of another tourist.

            Please have respect for human life when you come here and abide by the law of Do unto others as you would have them do to you. Stop in at Hawaiian Proline, Hi Tech,or Extreme Sports. We will be happy to direct you to a safe and sane kiting experience on Maui.

            -----
            See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/kitesurf/?start=934
          • Martin Gourdeau
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 1998
              > I can tell you this..If you come to Maui, you will need to be using a DEADMAN SAFETY release. This is the first law of the land. There are innocent people on and in our waters who need to be protected. We will not tolerate tourist killing other people because a fifty knot gust ripped the bar out of your hands and sent it into the head of another tourist.
              >
              > Please have respect for human life when you come here and abide by the law of Do unto others as you would have them do to you. Stop in at Hawaiian Proline, Hi Tech,or Extreme Sports. We will be happy to direct you to a safe and sane kiting experience on Maui.

              Does it hold for anykind of kite?
              I think that certain kind are lot more dangerous to use especially on or near the beach...

              -----
              See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/kitesurf/?start=936
            • Dave Terry
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 4, 1998
                We will not tolerate tourist killing other people because a fifty knot gust
                ripped the bar out of your hands and sent it into the head of another
                tourist.

                this is only one way of hurting others. The lines can wrap around someones
                neck, foot, board, cord, or strap and do their own damage.

                >Does it hold for anykind of kite?

                Yes! Unless your kite is a new prototype without lines.
                >I think that certain kind are lot more dangerous to use especially on or
                >near the beach...
                The point we are making is we live here and want more than anything else
                for you to come and enjoy yourself. But we are dealing with more than just
                you and want you to be able to continue flying a kite on Maui. Without the
                co opperation of every individual, we will be outlawed by spring.
                Kitesailing on Maui is viewed much like jetskiies. We can live
                without them. Since I really enjoy kiteboarding , I'm game to help maintain
                our rights to fly a kite with a board. Your co opperation would be greatly
                appreciated.
                Once again,
                Please have respect for human life when you come here and abide by
                the law of Do unto others as you would have them do to you. Stop in at
                Hawaiian Proline, Hi Tech,or Extreme Sports. We will be happy to direct you
                to a safe and sane kiting experience on Maui.

                Dave Terry Productions
                POB 238
                Paia, Hi. 96779
                FAXFONE-