[ksurf] North Shore Maui Kitesurfing

  • S.Tonini
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 1998
      A while back I read somewhat of a distressing post on this newsgroup which described the FAA (American aviation regulatory body)as examining the ramifications of kitesurfing on the north shore of Maui, in and around Kahului airport.

      Ramifications include higher altitude kites ramming into a landing jet. Talk about "controlling the power of your kite", try getting yourself tangled into a landing aircraft...

      For those of you that haven't been to Maui, Kahului airport is in the immediate trajectory of Kanaha Beach Park, a favored location for windsurfers and kitesurfers alike. Last time I was there was in the pre-kitesurfing days, but I nevertheless assume it would be a great place to practice.

      Any word on this subject? Is this in fact true? Any outcomes?

      Steve