[ksurf] Re: No Subject. Long lines

  • Fritz Gramkowski
    Message 1 of 207 , Dec 2, 1998
      I have yet to try kite surfing but have been kite buggying for almost 10 years now.

      In light winds (for kite buggying < 5 mph) it has been my experience that longer lines allow the kite to produce more power and me to buggy faster and get up wind.
      I beleive ther are two reasons for this.
      1. Longer lines enable the kite to generate more apparent wind. With longer lines the kite can achieve more motion relative to the flyer.
      2. With longer lines it is easier to keep the kite in the sweet spot where it can generate the most power.
      I believe that as wind speed and sailing speed increase these advantages of longer lines are lost as the increase in drag caused by the lines becomes more significant.

      2 vs. 4 lines is a subject that has been debated alot by kite buggiers. I like flying with both two and four lines but four lines seem to more popular among buggiers. I believe the main reason for this is that four line kites are easier to relaunch from land and are easier to learn to kite sail with.

      Just mu thoughts-
      Fritz

      At 01:58 PM 12/1/98 +0100, you wrote:

      > > Bruno, you say that a 4 lined Wipika has better upwind ability than
      >
      > >a 2 lined Wipika but I don't think that is correct. More lines is more drag.
      >
      > <<SNIP HEAPS>
      >
      > well said Ben, I have been irritated by the "longer lines more power" argument for a long time. Everything is a compromise. The quad line Wipika is a more "controllable kite" but it is heavier to move (parasitic drag) - adding length actually only increases this and if you are flying in light winds it is totally frustrating.
      >

      > What are light winds ? -- I would say anything less than 12-15 knots (and I am using an 8.5m^2).
      >

      > My opinion only.
      >

      > Regards,
      >

      > Cat-thief,

      -----
      See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/kitesurf/?start=913
    • roberto
      Message 207 of 207 , Mar 30, 2000
        hi,
        i'm from south italy, Bari...is there any kitesurfer?
        i hope yes