[ksurf] Re: AW: No Subject

  • srosso@bunge.com.br
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 1998
      In a german kitemagazin was an article about some tests
      with different lines.
      result for traction you only need lines of 3/4 of the pilots weight, you
      do not need lines for 200 kg.

      What about when you go UP ??? then you need the total of the lines to
      support at LEAST your weight + there is the acceleration up.... so that
      might double your weight ! (if you accelerate up at 1 G)

      3/4 + 3/4 of your weight = 1.5 your weight
      Add the board harness wetsuit - water inside your wetsuit - and you have
      almost NO margin for error !!

      then consider when you are about to go for a jump and the wave lip crashes
      down on you and pushes you to the bottom of the sea - then you are talking
      about more than your weight ! maybe three times (you need a safety margin
      !! )- if you are an 80 kg flysurfer (with board and acessories) then you
      need 80 * 3 = 240 kg. Also the knots to connect weaken the lines - even
      when protected i heard that by 30% (ok, i am not sure)

      so 200 kg lines minus 30% can each hold 140 kg = total of 280 kg = compared
      to the 240 above
      sounds like 200 kg lines are about right !!

      I already had a line break in the sea - 500 meters from shore - it broke
      because the sand cut through the 4mm line connected at the boom... and luck
      would have it that i was flying with my soft foil - and the waves near
      shore where about 2 meters - i had a long swim and then the waves crashed
      me into the beach ... I dont recommend it... because after the swim I was
      too tired to go do more flysurfing!

    • Michel Montmigny
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 1998
        srosso@... wrote:

        > In a german kitemagazin was an article about some tests
        > with different lines.
        > result for traction you only need lines of 3/4 of the pilots weight, you
        > do not need lines for 200 kg.
        >
        > What about when you go UP ??? then you need the total of the lines to
        > support at LEAST your weight + there is the acceleration up.... so that
        > might double your weight ! (if you accelerate up at 1 G)
        >
        > 3/4 + 3/4 of your weight = 1.5 your weight
        > Add the board harness wetsuit - water inside your wetsuit - and you have
        > almost NO margin for error !!
        >
        > then consider when you are about to go for a jump and the wave lip crashes
        > down on you and pushes you to the bottom of the sea - then you are talking
        > about more than your weight ! maybe three times (you need a safety margin
        > !! )- if you are an 80 kg flysurfer (with board and acessories) then you
        > need 80 * 3 = 240 kg. Also the knots to connect weaken the lines - even
        > when protected i heard that by 30% (ok, i am not sure)

        Few years ago,

        Professionnals from paragliders makers was talking about 60% weaker on
        the knot...?

        Michel
      • Pierce Nichols
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 1998
          On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Michel Montmigny wrote:

          > Few years ago,
          >
          > Professionnals from paragliders makers was talking about 60% weaker on
          > the knot...?

          It depends on the knot, and how it's tied. Sleeving obviously
          helps enormously. As for the knot, a figure-8 on a bight (loop) is
          supposedly the strongest possible non-spliced loop. Since the standard
          knot for that purpose in kiting appears to be an overhand on a bight,
          we're pretty close as is.

          -p

          "There are four boxes that are used in the defense of liberty.
          Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Ammo. Use in that order."

          -Anon

        • Dave Culp
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 1998
            > It depends on the knot, and how it's tied. Sleeving obviously
            > helps enormously. As for the knot, a figure-8 on a bight (loop) is
            > supposedly the strongest possible non-spliced loop. Since the standard
            > knot for that purpose in kiting appears to be an overhand on a bight,
            > we're pretty close as is.

            Don't kid yourself, however. "Strongest possible" only means you lose
            40% of strength, as opposed to 60%, or more. Knotted lines are a waste
            of money, weight and wind resistance. In a race, a flier using lighter,
            spliced lines will *always* beat a heavier lined, knotted flyer,
            especially to windward. Believe it.

            Dave Culp