[ksurf] Re: AW: No Subject

  • Carstens, Henning
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 1998
      Dear Ben,

      i think longer lines give more power, because the wind
      is more constant and stronger in higher altitude.
      In a german kitemagazin was an article about some tests
      with different lines.
      result for traction you only need lines of 3/4 of the pilots weight, you
      do not need lines for 200 kg.
      The result of thinner lines, you have no hanging lines and
      therefor you have a better angle to the wind and more traction
      on upwind course.

      regards

      -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
      Von: Mulder B.E. (Ben) [mailto:Ben.Mulder@...]
      Gesendet am: Dienstag, 1. Dezember 1998 13:58
      An: 'kitesurf@egroups.com'
      Betreff: [ksurf] Re: No Subject

      Bruno, you say that a 4 lined Wipika has better upwind ability
      than
      a 2 lined Wipika but I don't think that is correct. More lines is more
      drag.
      If you compare a 4 lined Wipika with a 2 lined Wipika with the same
      length
      of lines I think that the 2 lined must have better upwind ability. I
      agree
      about the turning and depowering though.
      Everybody tends to say that longer lines give the kite more
      power
      but that is not true. You cannot give a kite more power. Longer lines
      give a
      kite more momentum. The kite has to fly a longer distance with long
      lines
      and stays therefor longer in the powerzone. Also the windwindow
      diminishes a
      little because of more drag of the longer lines. With that smaller
      windwindow the kite is further from the edge therefor tilts more to the
      wind, catching more wind and giving it a sense of more power in the
      corners
      but in fact just performs less.
      Four lines kites are mostly flown with shorter lines than two
      lined
      kites just to overcome this situation. If you compare two and four lines
      you
      must be fair and compare with the same length.

      >Other subject : for the people which want to increase the
      efficiency of their
      >Wipika, modify it as a 4 line kite ! The difference is big :
      much
      more faster
      >to turn, better upwind ability and possibility to depower a lot
      more than
      >with a parakite.
      >In buggy races, there is a french pilot which performs against
      the
      best
      >parakites (he won the Transaquitaine raid and finish second of
      one
      of the 3
      >national events this year).
      >You can find more details about how to proceed in the Products
      page
      of our