[ksurf] Recommendations

  • srosso@bunge.com.br
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 26, 1998
      The list has now more than 150 subscribed people on it and e-mail traffic
      is getting heavy on some days.
      If you dont check your email daily you will begin to have your inbox
      clogged with messages. To avoid this here are
      some suggestions.

      First of all - if you want to avoid getting your mailbox clogged by others
      there are two options. You can change your
      settings to WEB or DIGEST. To do this go to the
      www.egroups.com/lists/kitesurf. You should be able to change your
      member preferences there. Here is what these do for you

      WEB - You are still subscribed but you will only read the messages on the
      web. You get an email (every two weeks?)
      telling you how many unread there are. This is the lowest traffic solution

      DIGEST - you get 1 (one) email per day with all the subjects of the
      messages sent during that day. To read them you
      can then go to the web and read them there.

      If you need any help with this send an email to me
      (kitesurf-listowner@egroups.com)

      Below are some basic recommendations to keep the amount of mail efficient !
      Please read them and try to follow them.
      (I got many of these from people on the list!)

      Basic recommendations for this list

      These recommendations are here to make the list easier to use and read and
      to make mail sent more efficient.
      Remember that many of us pay for access !

      1 No Spam - send mail to the list ONLY about kitesurfing or things related
      to Kites and Boards and Spots.
      Thats why people signed onto this list.

      2 When Replying
      - do not copy the whole message you are replying reduce it with <snips> or
      just quote the relevant part
      (this is useful to reduce download times)
      - Reply only to the sender (not the whole list) if its something specific
      for that person
      (avoid sending a message of the type "I agree" to the whole list)
      NB. When you click reply, the message automatically goes to the whole
      list.
      - If you add a response, it is better to keep it at the top of the message
      rather than the bottom
      3 Avoid making negative comments about equipment - The equipment producers
      are on the list and they do not
      appreciate it - Lets keep it fair and recognize that there are people
      from many different cultures on this list. The ground
      rule is that you can make as many positive comments as you like but we
      dont want to hear "that kite sucks".
      That is not considered constructive.
      4 Be helpful and constructive in your responses. Avoid sending a message to
      the whole list replying "I dont know"
      5 To unsubscribe send a message to kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com or send
      it to me - the list owner.
      You can find my emails on the list webpage or write to
      kitesurf-listowner@egroups.com.
      Avoid sending it to the whole list.

      Ok Thanks for reading this and sorry for such a long boring message - All
      new people to the list will receive a similar
      message when they sign on so everybody will be better informed.

      Stefano

      (looks like its going to be windy this weekend) Yippee !!!

    • Gadget
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 26, 1998
        Stefano wrote:

        <some good recommendations on listiquette>

        >- If you add a response, it is better to keep it at the top of the message
        >rather than the bottom

        I don't agree with this one, what's the idea with that?
        Seems to go against accepted newsgroup and email netiquette.

        --
        Gadget [Bude, Cornwall, UK]
        mailto:news01@...

      • Pat
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 26, 1998
          OK, I will take your word for it that it (response at top) is against the standard conventions, but it sure makes the reading faster and easier.
          Pat

          >>Stefano wrote:

          ><some good recommendations on listiquette>

          >>- If you add a response, it is better to keep it at the top of the message
          >>rather than the bottom

          >Gadget said    >  I don't agree with this one, what's the idea with that?
          >Seems to go against accepted newsgroup and email netiquette.

          --

          Free Web-based e-mail groups -- www.eGroups.com
        • Richard P Blount
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 26, 1998
            Stefano,

            You are very wrong, Stefano,

            I DO want to know the downside of any piece of equipment I plan on buying.
            I DO want to know what adverse experiences others have had with equipment.
            I DO want to know what people really think about the equipment.

            If manufacturers cannot and will not entertain negative comments about their
            products from their customers they are very short-sighted, their products
            will not improve and they will not be in business very long. Everyone loses
            in this case.

            Yes, you are right in one respect, I DO NOT wish to listen different
            manufacturers slamming each other - that's at its best childish. But, I do
            not object to one manufacturer calling another to task over false claims and
            welcome it - keeps them honest.

            <snips>
            but we dont want to hear "that kite sucks".
            That is not considered constructive.
            <snips>

            Yes, I would consider that constructive, provided the statement is followed
            by a statement of "WHY the person thinks the kite sucks."

            Everyone is entitled to their opinion, right, wrong or indifferent.

            Later
            Richard

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 26, 1998
              Gadget wrote:
              >Stefano wrote:
              >>- If you add a response, it is better to keep it at the top of the message
              >>rather than the bottom
              >
              >I don't agree with this one, what's the idea with that?
              >Seems to go against accepted newsgroup and email netiquette.

              I don't think that either practice is necessarily etched in stone as being
              the sole accepted method. If the material being quoted is short and
              concise, the response can logically follow; however, if the edited quoted
              text is of necessity longer than a page, or if it is of common knowledge as
              in a long thread, it is quite acceptable to have the response at the top,
              particularly if it is short. Readers may not want to have to reread the
              old stuff first, yet it is still available to those who wish by scrolling
              down.

              It does, however, seem to flow better with the quoted stuff first, as a
              general (but not absolute) rule, imo.

              Michael [|*|] Michael Raycraft am979@...
              -=-
              'Do something for me in the meantime,' I said. 'Keep the Codys flying;
              till something better comes along....' (Kiteworld, Keith Roberts)
              -=-
            • srosso@bunge.com.br
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 27, 1998
                You are very wrong, Stefano,
                === Lets not misunderstand what I said....

                I think criticism of equipment is ok... as long as its constructive and we
                keep the right language. Remember that there are 30-40 different
                nationalities on this list and that each one accepts different things and
                reacts differently.

                Here is an example: The first impression I got from your first sentence
                (above) is that you where trying to criticize me in a non constructive
                manner. Then I remembered that some cultures are more likely to make
                comments that might appear aggressive or confrontational than others. So I
                tried to read your message for its constructive criticism to my message . I
                then realised maybe I was not clear enough.

                What is important is language used. "That kite sucks" is not constructive
                in some cultures. Instead you should try to say why its performance is not
                the best straight off... and the main point is that producers should not
                slam others equipment - let the users be constructive

                I dont think we need to focus on this issue any more, we all can be
                sensible- but please be aware that you are in a global community.

                === Everyone is entitled to their opinion, right, wrong or indifferent.

                Sure, but isnt it wiser and more friendly to be nicer about it ? For a US
                example - you have the right to burn the flag but lets avoid doing it at
                the United Nations, not everybody will understand.

                Lets go back to talking about kitesurfing !!