[ksurf] Davinci Kites

  • Steven Nenzel
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 4, 2000
      Still waiting for some independent reviews of the Davinci Kite.  Anyone flying one?

      Steve
    • Rony Jabbour
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 4, 2000
        todd snyder <boomji-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=8559
        > Heres a diagram for third lines set up for foils . Its worked on my
        f.one 6.5,
        > xl ,xxl and xxxl kiyesurfer models.

        Hi Todd,

        I assume from your drawing that you run the third line through ONE of
        the main flying lines lark's head knot.... Why not let the third line
        run straight
        down to the bar so everything is symetrical up there?

        How do you like the xxxl (9.6 m) kitesurfer? Any problems, decent
        turning speed
        for the size, etc...? What's the REAL wind range of that kite (fully
        powered to almost cannot hold an edge anymore!)

        Thanks,
        Rony
      • Todd Snyder
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 4, 2000
          The drawing must be confusing some of you .... The V line runs through all rings and the third line connects to the center ring and runs straight to the bar. Maybe this will help or not.......

          Rony Jabbour wrote:

          todd snyder <boomji-@...> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=8559
          > Heres a diagram for third lines set up for foils . Its worked on my
          f.one 6.5,
          > xl ,xxl and xxxl kiyesurfer models.

          Hi Todd,

          I assume from your drawing that you run the third line through ONE of
          the main flying lines lark's head knot.... Why not let the third line
          run straight
          down to the bar so everything is symetrical up there?

          How do you like the xxxl (9.6 m) kitesurfer? Any problems, decent
          turning speed
          for the size, etc...? What's the REAL wind range of that kite (fully
          powered to almost cannot hold an edge anymore!)

          Thanks,
          Rony

          FreeLotto.com is the only internet site to offer three free chances
          a day to win $1,000,000.00. We've already had two $1,000,000.00
          jackpot winners and thousands of other cash prizes.  You could be
          a $1,000,000.00 winner tonight!
          http://click.egroups.com/1/445/2/_/19/_/947054435

          -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
          -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=kitesurf&m=1

        • Rony Jabbour
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 5, 2000
            todd snyder <boomji-@...> wrote:
            original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=8610
            > The drawing must be confusing some of you .... The V line runs
            through all
            > rings and the third line connects to the center ring and runs
            straight to
            > the bar. Maybe this will help or not.......

            All right, it's clear now.
            How about the XXXL?

            Thanks,
          • Todd Snyder
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 5, 2000
              The triple is really slow to respond on the bar . The wind range was about 8 to 14 .I weigh 210 and use the 215 f.one board.My f.one 6.5 does well in 14 and when it blows 14 it usually picks up.I think a 7.5 or 7.2 would be better not so slow.I don't like the xxxl .You could probably extend the wind range if you put it on 200 feet of line I use it on 150. My friend has a c-quad 10.5 . If was was going to buy a light wind kite I'd buy one of those there fast why more power and lot cheaper too.

              Later
              Todd

              Rony Jabbour wrote:

              todd snyder <boomji-@...> wrote:
              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=8610
              > The drawing must be confusing some of you .... The V line runs
              through all
              > rings and the third line connects to the center ring and runs
              straight to
              > the bar. Maybe this will help or not.......

              All right, it's clear now.
              How about the XXXL?

              Thanks,

              FreeLotto.com is the only internet site to offer three free chances
              a day to win $1,000,000.00. We've already had two $1,000,000.00
              jackpot winners and thousands of other cash prizes.  You could be
              a $1,000,000.00 winner tonight!
              http://click.egroups.com/1/445/2/_/19/_/947074700

              -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=kitesurf&m=1

            • Dave Raue
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 5, 2000
                Subject: [ksurf] Re: Setting up lines

                The triple is really slow to respond on the bar .

                snip

                Todd, you're talking about your 3-line set up with the XXXL?  Not surprising that it's slow with the bar  without using brakes to turn.  Did you ever try the reverse set-up with the XXXL, namely powerlines joined at center of bar with brakes on ends so you can turn using brakes?  I guess you'd lose some power (??) whihc is exactly what you don't want, but if you've tried it can you let us know what happened?

                I'm going to fool around with all these bar configurations and there's no reason to reinvnet the wheel.  But it seems like maybe what works well on a small kite might be less effective with a big kite and vice versa.  There has been a lot of discussion on bar types, set-up, etc but I can't remember anybody commenting on the size/configuration relationship.  By the way, I've been playing with 5m, 2-line Peel on a bar.  Lots of fun, but I think it would suck for kitesurfing.  Obviously way harder to recover from anything than a 4-liner, surges in gusts, etc.  Fun on the beach, maybe for OK the hair-shirt buggying fanatics.

                 Thanks, Dave
              • Ted
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 5, 2000
                  I would agree with Todd on the XXXL wind range 8 to 14 or 15 knots. I
                  weigh ~ 170lbs and ride a 4'10" to 5'8" wakeboard.

                  I find the XXXL to be quick responding though. I use a ~24" bar with
                  the handles attached at the end of the bar(four line mode) The kite
                  will pivot on it's axis when using the bar and handles in combination
                  and using the bar only the kite will turn rapidly also, although it
                  will not pivot on its axis. I have never noticed the kite to be slow
                  through the air on in the turns. I usually fly the XXXL with 100 ft of
                  line.

                  I consider quick response to be when I think of turning the kite and
                  make the motions, the kite turns without having to plan ahead.
                  example.. an 8.5 wipika requirs a couple of seconds of 'plan ahead
                  time'. The XXXL I fly like any of my other foils, turn when I think of
                  it.

                  regards -Ted
                  todd snyder <boomji-@...> wrote:
                  original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=8617
                  > The triple is really slow to respond on the bar . The wind range was
                  about 8
                  > to 14 .I weigh 210 and use the 215 f.one board.My f.one 6.5 does well
                  in 14
                  > and when it blows 14 it usually picks up.I think a 7.5 or 7.2 would be
                  > better not so slow.I don't like the xxxl .You could probably extend
                  the wind
                  > range if you put it on 200 feet of line I use it on 150. My friend
                  has a
                  > c-quad 10.5 . If was was going to buy a light wind kite I'd buy one
                  of those
                  > there fast why more power and lot cheaper too.
                  >
                  > Later
                  > Todd
                  >
                  > Rony Jabbour wrote:
                  >
                  > > todd snyder <boomji-@...> wrote:
                  > > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=8610
                  > > > The drawing must be confusing some of you .... The V line runs
                  > > through all
                  > > > rings and the third line connects to the center ring and runs
                  > > straight to
                  > > > the bar. Maybe this will help or not.......
                  > >
                  > > All right, it's clear now.
                  > > How about the XXXL?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,

                • Todd Snyder
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 5, 2000
                    The bar with handles on the ends would be a great choice with this kite if you don't like to use just handles.

                    I have no interest in fling in really light wind. I 'll be on a boat throw'en back a few cold ones putting on the wieght for the windy season.... HAHAHAH

                    todd snyder <boomji-@...> wrote:
                    original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=8617
                    > The triple is really slow to respond on the bar . The wind range was
                    about 8
                    > to 14 .I weigh 210 and use the 215 f.one board.My f.one 6.5 does well
                    in 14
                    > and when it blows 14 it usually picks up.I think a 7.5 or 7.2 would be
                    > better not so slow.I don't like the xxxl .You could probably extend
                    the wind
                    > range if you put it on 200 feet of line I use it on 150. My friend
                    has a
                    > c-quad 10.5 . If was was going to buy a light wind kite I'd buy one
                    of those
                    > there fast why more power and lot cheaper too.
                    >
                    > Later
                    > Todd
                    >
                    > Rony Jabbour wrote:
                    >
                    > > todd snyder <boomji-@...> wrote:
                    > > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=8610
                    > > > The drawing must be confusing some of you .... The V line runs
                    > > through all
                    > > > rings and the third line connects to the center ring and runs
                    > > straight to
                    > > > the bar. Maybe this will help or not.......
                    > >
                    > > All right, it's clear now.
                    > > How about the XXXL?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,

                    FreeLotto.com is the only internet site to offer three free chances
                    a day to win $1,000,000.00. We've already had two $1,000,000.00
                    jackpot winners and thousands of other cash prizes.  You could be
                    a $1,000,000.00 winner tonight!
                    http://click.egroups.com/1/445/2/_/19/_/947131338

                    -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=kitesurf&m=1

                  • Jeff Quick
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 6, 2000
                      Hey Todd,

                      You are gonna be sitting your butt on the beach watching me rip in
                      these light winds...get a 9.0 + kite so you can get on the water more
                      until the windy season hits again...we get more 'really light wind'
                      than 'good wind' so you'll be left out if you dont...isn't there a XXXL
                      with your name on it?

                      Jeff

                      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=8640

                    • Scott Bauman
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 6, 2000
                        I weigh about 170pounds and ride either a 6'6" kiteboard or a 7 foot
                        gun surf board with my XXXL. My wind range is from about 5 mph(going
                        down wind) - 13mphish (going down wind overpowered). With 8-11ish mph
                        being the ideal wind. With 8-11mph I can throw flat water loops. It
                        does turn extremly fast for such a big kite. My normal lines are
                        90feet of 300pound tops and either 100 or 150 pound brakelines.
                        With 150ft lines I can lower my wind range just a little bit.
                        Haveing a 9 meter kite has dramaticlly increased my time on the
                        water. I now have a 2.2, 2.9, 3.8, 4.6, 5.4, and the brute 9.66 XXXL.
                        Have fun in the boat!
                        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=8647

                      • Todd Snyder
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 6, 2000
                          Sounds like your having a bitch'in time on the water in light wind cool..
                          Your 170 and i'm 215 lb. I got 45lb on you, tell me that doesn't make a
                          difference!!!!!!
                          I don't have the interest. If I do maybe my dear old pal Jeff will give me
                          ago on his 10.5 c-quad.....

                        • Todd Snyder
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 13, 2000
                            Sounds kool but one question when jumping with my ar5 I unhook completly
                            while in the air pacticing staying hooked in but feel more comfortable
                            unkook for now, with the davinci it sounds like your connected untill
                            your ready to come in.What happens when you jump ? My arms tend to go
                            above my head wouldn't this depower the kite ? Would it have effect on
                            the jump by depowering in mid flight?

                            When you say Malibu you talking S.Cal.
                            Are they still there? Would love to come up and have a go or at least see
                            the kite in action!!!

                            Thanks,
                            Todd

                            Traig Trumbo wrote:

                            > Daniel of Davinci Kites showed up for a windy weekend at our Malibu
                            > kitesailing beach to teach a friend to kitesurf. He was very
                            > receptive to my questions and even let me play with the 6 meter kite
                            > quite a bit. Unfortunaley stiches from a kite injury kept me from
                            > water testing it. So..On the beach ...The kites power control with
                            > just pulling the bar toward you or away is analagous to a rheostat on
                            > an electrical device. Imagine totaly depowering on a wave to make a
                            > square bottom turn then just pulling on the bar to blast through the
                            > lip, and on down the line. You could go from absolutely no power
                            > with
                            > the bar extended in the power zone, then pull in and BAM..HOLLY POWER
                            > JUMP BATMAN!!! An absoule full range of power not a binary on, off
                            > switch. The AR5 owners who flew it on the beach were very impressed.
                            > The power is probably just a bit more than a similary sized AR5 as
                            > the kite has much more exposed surface area with its foil like shape.
                            > In a year a dual surface model will boost performance even higher.
                            > Kind of looks like a certain PL kite with inflatable rather than
                            > carbon support structures. The kite looks very functional and built
                            > to last. This could be the ultimate learning kite. The kite is
                            > always atached to the pilot by a line to a buckle on the harness.
                            > When the bar is released all power is lost and the kite colapses
                            > harmlessly on beach, not endangering anyone downwind. The power
                            > control allowed Daiel's friend to gain tremendous kite control and
                            > beach jumping ability in just four hours of flying at which point he
                            > went into the water and actualy was able to waterstart the kite after
                            > a bit on his first attempt. Daniel says the 4,5 and 6 meter kites
                            > are
                            > presently avaiable and the 8 meter version is promised by his French
                            > manufacturers in a few weeks. A 9 meter is also planed. Many kite
                            > builders are probably hustling to build there own version of this
                            > kite
                            > and the future for the kite consumer is going to be great if they
                            > compare to the Davincis performance. The bummer is Daniel was totaly
                            > cool with me trying it on the water if I wasn't gimped out.. MORAL
                            > Don't jump and land on top of your kite board fins..That's what the
                            > other side of the board with the straps is for...DOOOOO!

                            > windTools - producer of the legendary Mosquito Pro KS
                            > Get the right kitesurfingstuff.
                            >
                            > Visit http://www.windTools.com

                            Click here for Free Video!!
                            http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/