[ksurf] Re: Quadrifoil kite impression needed

  • glucas@ca.ibm.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2000
      Can the XL and the 4.9 blade be flown with two lines?
    • Todd Snyder
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2000
        I was out today, got some really good clearing winds20 to 25 knots ,with my xl ks model. I fly three line mode on a bar. Dump it once from a jump . It folded landed on the water and took right back off less than 10 sec.I have used the xxxl and dump it 3 times and launched every time . The big xxxl turns really slow with the bar set up in light winds (under 10knots) but still launched from the water...

        750.$U.S. CHEAP FOR A 4.9 !!!!

        Tzachi wrote:

        hi,
        I came accross this kite - Quadrifoil XL

        http://www.gwtw-kites.com/1.quadrifoilxseries.html

        is there someone who surf with it , relauchabillity ?
        what the impression of its  performance ?
        its price is some how cheap - whats the catch ?
        thanks
        TZ

        FreeLotto.com is the only internet site to offer three free chances
        a day to win $1,000,000.00. We've already had two $1,000,000.00
        jackpot winners and thousands of other cash prizes.  You could be
        a $1,000,000.00 winner tonight!
        http://click.egroups.com/1/445/2/_/19/_/946822496

        -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=kitesurf&m=1

      • Ted
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2000
          I have not done so myself but I have seen people tie the brake lines to
          the main lines at the kite. The brakes should be loose (not pulling on
          the trailing edge.) The kites seem to work just fine in the 2 line
          mode.

          I fly with a four line bar, so often times I just use the bar to steer
          the kite (2 line mode) They fly just fine. They don't turn as fast
          and you have a little more power when not applying the brakes.

          The disadvantage in flying 2 lines only, in my opinion, is take off,
          landings and re-launching the kite from the water. Take off and
          landings are very scary if not done from the edge of the window.
          Re-launching the kite after a crash, the kite in my experience, always
          crashes leading edge first. You need the brake lines to back it up.

          Regards -Ted

          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=8555

        • neptune@mail.imag.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2000
            the Flexfoil Blades can be flown on 2 line

            ~Richard L.

            At 12:17 PM 1/2/00 -0500, you wrote:

            >Can the XL and the 4.9 blade be flown with two lines?

            >eNutrition can help you keep all your healthy New Year�s resolutions.
            >And right now, get $10 off a minimum purchase of $25. From vitamins
            >and supplements, to weight loss aides, eNutrition has is all.
            >http://click.egroups.com/1/386/2/_/19/_/946833583
            >
            >-- Create a poll/survey for your group!
            >-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=kitesurf&m=1

          • Mark Frasier
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2000
              At 06:27 PM 01/02/2000 -0800, you wrote:
              > I was out today, got some really good clearing winds20 to 25 knots ,with
              >my xl ks model. I fly three line mode on a bar. Dump it once from a jump .
              >It folded landed on the water and took right back off less than 10 sec.I
              >have used the xxxl and dump it 3 times and launched every time . The big
              >xxxl turns really slow with the bar set up in light winds (under 10knots)
              >but still launched from the water... 750.$U.S. CHEAP FOR A 4.9 !!!!

              That's not cheap, unless it came with the bar and a few linesets. You can
              get a kitesurfer XL for $620 w/lines & handles, a CA Wave 4.8 for $606,
              Blade 4.9 for $450, regular XL for $375 or a 4.2 C Quad for $242. (prices
              from GWTW, cutting edge and windpower sports)

              Mark Frasier

            • glucas@ca.ibm.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2000
                Ted wrote:
                The disadvantage in flying 2 lines only, in my opinion, is take off,
                landings and re-launching the kite from the water. Take off and
                landings are very scary if not done from the edge of the window.
                Re-launching the kite after a crash, the kite in my experience, always
                crashes leading edge first. You need the brake lines to back it up.

                I agree that it is take off and landings where the brakes would be of use.
                I usually do not have a beach where I can lay out the lines, so I use a
                reel to let the lines out once the kite is inflated and I have walked out
                into the water clear of the trees and the rocks. So four lines would not be
                an easy option.

                I have been using Concept Air kites. The big advantage that I find is that
                kite deflates slightly once it is on the water, so that when I relaunch I
                have 10-20 seconds before the kite fully powers ups. As a result, I do not
                get overpowered on take off in the middle of the wind window. As others
                have mentioned I find the kite flys fine slightly deflated. It just reacts
                more slowly. I have not had any problems with landing. I always land it in
                the water (because there is no clear spot on the shore) at the side of the
                wind window and then immediately take in about about 15 feet of one line.
                The kite has never tried to take off or spin after that. I did try to put
                it down in the middle of the window once by using the leash but I used a
                plastic clip and there was to much power and it broke. The kite took off
                without me. Fortunately it lost a little air and stopped in about 60 feet.
                That slight deflation has proved to be a very good safety feature. If it
                is windy I rarely have any problems getting the kite to relaunch with two
                lines as long as I try to do it in the first couple of minutes.