[ksurf] setting up lines

  • Nelson Miyashiro
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2000
      Hello,
      I just recently purchased a 5.5 Mosquito and was wondering if
      anyone had experimented flying the kite on two lines, three lines as
      well as in the four line mode. I am an avid kite flier and have flown
      dual line sports kites as well as four line quads. Please let me know
      what your experiences have been. Thank you very much, Nelson
    • Antonio Lage
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2000
        At 14:38 01-01-00 -0800, you wrote:
        >Hello,
        > I just recently purchased a 5.5 Mosquito and was wondering if
        >anyone had experimented flying the kite on two lines, three lines as
        >well as in the four line mode. I am an avid kite flier and have flown
        >dual line sports kites as well as four line quads. Please let me know
        >what your experiences have been. Thank you very much, Nelson

        Hi,

        I have a Mosquito 7.5 that I use in 2 line mode. I tied the brake lines as
        they explain in the Windtools website (but they recommend cutting off the
        lines; I didn't). Other foils a have I just tied the brake lines to the
        main lines. With the Mosquito you have to tie at exactly the correct point
        in the brake line, if too short the trailing edge gets distorted downwards,
        if too long the wingtips get distorted outwards.
        In my limited experience with the kite I could't relaunch only on one
        ocasion when one line went over and around the wingtip and I could't get it
        free. I gave up because I got tired of waiting, not because the kite filled
        with water. I developed a routine that I can relaunch from every position,
        99% of the time (so far).
        The cross bridling is a pain while seting up, but in the air it prevents
        the kite from distorting when flying in 2 line mode. I tried 3 lines but
        did not do it rigth and will try again in the future.

        Antonio
        http://www.flysurfing.com.br
      • parent
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2000
          >Hello,
          > I just recently purchased a 5.5 Mosquito and was wondering if
          >anyone had experimented flying the kite on two lines, three lines as
          >well as in the four line mode. I am an avid kite flier and have flown
          >dual line sports kites as well as four line quads. Please let me know
          >what your experiences have been. Thank you very much, Nelson

          I have one 5.5 for one month now. I've flown it twice due to too much wind
          for the past period.
          I fly it in 3 line mode and it works perfectly. I think it's best to fly it
          3 line for recovery of the kite if fallen in the water and also for security
          reason (being so able to instantly "kill" the kite). I don't see any problem
          with flying it 2 lines since it's a cross bridled kite and so, designed to
          work in that way (you'll loose security feature anyway). Brake adjustment
          for 2 lines mode is given on Widtools website: www.windtools.de
          Hope this helps
          Bye
          Pierre