[ksurf] Re: Converting Naish to 4-line mode

  • KiteBoard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29, 1999
      In a message dated 99-12-29 10:47:46 EST, jimcanniff@... writes:

      << Does this overhaul help with relaunching the kite? It's a bear to
      relaunch the 9.0 when it lands leading edge down onto the water. Can I
      then pull the back lines to do a reverse water start like with the foil
      kites? >>

      It doesn't help in the way you indicate, since you can not do a reverse water
      launch like with a foil. By pulling on the FRONT lines the kite should flip
      over easier though (ready for conventional inflatable launch).

      Tom
    • Stephen McCormack
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 30, 1999
        Hi Jimmy

        > Could you help me understand the Kitesurftech instructions
        > (http://kitesurftech.home.att.net/4line.html)on converting my Naish 9.0
        > from 2 line to 4 line mode? From the directions for the Naish it seems
        > that I should take the entire bridle off the kite...is that true?

        Yes that is true, you must take the bridle off the kite completely, perhaps
        make a drawing of how it is attached in case you want to go back yo 2 line
        mode.

        And,
        > it sounds like all I need to do is attach the 2 new center lines to the
        > front tabs of the kite and attach the outside lines to the back tabs of
        > the kite. Is that correct?

        Yes, the tabs you use are the ones that are closest to and parralell with
        that first rib.

        Also, should I really fold the end flaps in
        > and secure them to the first struts?

        Yes it helps the kite to turn better as without the bridle the tips flap
        around and get in the way of the top lines.

        What happens with the inflatable
        > leading edge if I fold this part over?

        Just fold them in and secure them with those nylon zip ties BEFORE you blow
        up the leading edge bladder, no damage will occur to your kite.

        > Does this overhaul help with relaunching the kite? It's a bear to
        > relaunch the 9.0 when it lands leading edge down onto the water. Can I
        > then pull the back lines to do a reverse water start like with the foil
        > kites?

        You cannot reverse launch a Naish or Wipika style kite, all you do is pull
        on one line only until the kite is at the edge of the wind window and it
        will flip onto its side and then just apply pressure to the top line and it
        will relaunch every time if you have enough wind.
        Hope this helps and
        Goodwinds
        Steve McCormack
        www.kitepoweraustralia.com
        kitepower@...
      • Dr. Stan Schiller
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 31, 1999
          HI STEPHEN

          When you water relaunch with a large naish 4-line, and its upside down
          Which line are you pulling, One of the control lines or line from the
          trailing edge?????
          Stan Schiller
        • Stephen McCormack
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2000
            Hi Doc

            Happy New Year!! In 4 line mode you can't pull on the leading edge line
            because it is attached to the leader that goes through the middle of the
            bar, so yes, you are actually pulling on the trailing edge line. The kite
            will still slide across to the edge of the window and roll over onto it's
            side, then you start pulling on the line attached to the tip that's now in
            the air and the kite will launch. Hope this helps, practice in shallow water
            first and