[ksurf] Re: Naish Bladder Inflation

  • Raul F Argilagos
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 26, 1999
      Hey Steve,
      This is what I did with my wipi's that had the same problem. I put
      neoprene
      cement on the seams that came apart, pretty much all of them after 1 year
      of use, but make sure the kite is at least partially inflated when you
      do.
      The mylar will stop ripping away with this treatment, I use the
      waterproof
      neoprene stuff for wetsuits but you can probably use contact cement as
      well though I've never tried it. Funny why the manufacturers don't
      preglue
      the seams to prevent this from happening. Now all I use are F one kites
      and I don't have this problem plus my upwind and jumping are way better!
      See ya!
      Raul

      On Sun, 26 Dec 1999 13:13:28 -0800 "S.Tonini" <stonini@...> writes:
      >Can anyone provide a solid descripiton as to how much inflation is
      >required in the main (leading egde) bladder of a Naish kite?
      >
      >Personally, I like to inflate my kite until both tips of the wing
      >stand
      >up - which means the bladder is quite firm. I beleive the kite should
      >be inflated to the point where the shape is locked, with no sagging or
      >bending. The problem is, the seams are tearing very slightly (you have
      >to look closely to notice), which would indicate over-inflation, at
      >least as far as the construction is concerned.
      >
      >I read in the Kiteboarding mag that the struts should be inflated
      >until
      >firm, but not until you cannot physically inflate anymore - I have
      >never reached this point. Despite this, the main bladder is showing
      >signs of wear at the seams/gluing point, even though I have used the
      >kite only 7 times.
      >
      >Thanks for the help-
      >
      >Steve

      >The only fruitcake at overstock.com is our manager.
      >He�s giving away a $20 coupon, plus our everyday Free Shipping.
      >Take advantage of the savings and selection now.
      >http://click.egroups.com/1/342/2/_/19/_/946242819
      >
      >eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • SeanCMurph@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 27, 1999
        So Raul,

        Are you saying, "buy a foil?"

        Sean
      • Raul F Argilagos
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 27, 1999
          On Mon, 27 Dec 1999 08:04:42 EST SeanCMurph@... writes:
          >So Raul,
          >
          >Are you saying, "buy a foil?"
          >
          >Sean

          Hey Sean,
          nope, just that's what I use now. I haven't found an inflatable
          to pull enough in these light Florida winds compared to foils.
          Maybe if we had good winds like Hawaii.....
          Raul

          Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        • Stephen McCormack
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 30, 1999
            Hi Chris

            I pump the leading edge up until the tips stand up without any hint of
            folding in, basically very firm, almost until you cannot push any more into
            the bladder with the standard pump.
            When you fly your Naish if you see any creasing in the leading edge bladder
            when you do tight turns it is underinflated and performance will be
            compromised. It is also very important to get as much pressure as you can in
            the outer rib bladders too.
            It does take some practice to pump up the bladders and then pinch the valve
            firmly and quickly insert the stopper, I thought they were shits of things
            when I first tried to pump them up as I was used to the Wipika which has a
            non return valve on the smaller kites.
            Any other questions please contact me through the group or direct e-mail and
            Goodwinds
            Steve McCormack
            www.kitepoweraustralia.com
            kitepower@...

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 30, 1999
              I would be carefull pumping up the kite until you can pump no more....
              I have always had my kite very firm, but I could have definately pumped the kite much further, and my kite is becoming damaged.

              My Naish Kite is only about 2.5 months old, and I have some rather severe stretching happening at the seams.

              I am now very careful not to pump the kite up too hard. I have been learning - so the kite has had some crashes into the water / sand with it's leading edge - but I am a bit worried that the
              seams will get worse, especially since the kite is so new.

              In some parts, the seam had pulled away as much as 5mm, and the leading edge bladder is being held together by the threads only. The fabric at the seam has lost it's stability. None of the
              threads have snapped - so the leading edge is still ok, and seems strong. I am worried about this getting worse though - or damaging the bladder. (You can easily see the bladder through the
              streched threads at the seams.)

              I read a few days ago about using wetsuit neoprene seam glue to fix this - where can you get this from? Can you get it in clear or white, or dies it just come in black?

              Other than this problem, I love my Naish Kite... I have come a long way with it in only 2 months...

              Steve, let me know how much the AR5's are when you know more. I might be interested in a 7.0.

              thanks,

              David T
            • Steve
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 30, 1999
                Sounds to me that if inflating the bladder overstretches the cloth tube of
                the leading edge that either the bladder is too large or the cloth tube is
                too small. Sounds like a design flaw to me. Are all Naish kite models
                doing this? Does it happen to Wipika's too? I have a Wipika 8.5 and have
                seen no problems with this.

                Steve Swartz
                Carson City, Nevada USA
                steverite@...

                >I would be carefull pumping up the kite until you can pump no more....
                >I have always had my kite very firm, but I could have definately pumped the
                kite much further, and my kite is becoming damaged.

                >My Naish Kite is only about 2.5 months old, and I have some rather severe
                stretching happening at the seams.

                >I am now very careful not to pump the kite up too hard. I have been
                learning - so the kite has had some crashes into the water / sand with it's
                leading edge - but I am a bit worried that the
                >seams will get worse, especially since the kite is so new.
                >
                >In some parts, the seam had pulled away as much as 5mm, and the leading
                edge bladder is being held together by the threads only. The fabric at the
                seam has lost it's stability. None of the
                >threads have snapped - so the leading edge is still ok, and seems strong. I
                am worried about this getting worse though - or damaging the bladder. (You
                can easily see the bladder through the
                >streched threads at the seams.)
                >
                >I read a few days ago about using wetsuit neoprene seam glue to fix this -
                where can you get this from? Can you get it in clear or white, or dies it
                just come in black?

                >Other than this problem, I love my Naish Kite... I have come a long way
                with it in only 2 months...

                >Steve, let me know how much the AR5's are when you know more. I might be
                interested in a 7.0.

                >thanks,
                >
                >David T

                >FreeLotto.com is the only internet site to offer three free chances
                >a day to win $1,000,000.00. We've already had two $1,000,000.00
                >jackpot winners and thousands of other cash prizes. You could be
                >a $1,000,000.00 winner tonight!
                >http://click.egroups.com/1/445/2/_/19/_/946559057

                >-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=kitesurf&m=1

              • Chris Porter
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 30, 1999
                  i'm srry guys i just had to throw this in.. every time i check my mail.. &
                  see this subject line.. i keep thinking it says bladder infection not
                  bladder inflation.. guess this is just one of those "i need to get out
                  more" things..
                  have a good new year i know my wipikas & i are gonna try some kite
                  snowboarding this weekend.. should be fun.
                  -chris
                • Stefano Rosso
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 1, 2000
                    david trewern <davi-@...> wrote:
                    original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=8512
                    > In some parts, the seam had pulled away as much as 5mm, and the
                    leading edge bladder is being held together by the threads only. The
                    fabric at the seam has lost it's stability. None of the
                    > threads have snapped - so the leading edge is still ok, and seems
                    strong. I am worried about this getting worse though - or damaging the
                    bladder. (You can easily see the bladder through the
                    > streched threads at the seams.)

                    I first saw this on my wpika 8.5 a long time ago. Bruno Legaignoux
                    (designer) told me that some stetch was expected (about 3-4 mm) more
                    was not a good thing. If you use some rubber cement it will reinforce
                    it and this was his recommendation. I sold the kite so I cannot tell
                    how long it lasts but i never had problems.

                    With a naish i assume the same holds.
                  • Simon Lahiff
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 3, 2000
                      the naish kites come with a 6 month warranty don't they ??
                      let your naish dealer sort it out for you.