[ksurf] Re: Florida kitesurf site recommendation

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 26, 1999
      Try the Pond in Jacksonville FL. You can find information, pictures and
      directions to it on the Jacksonville Windsurfing Club (JAWS) web site. Do a
      search to find it, I don't remember the address. I spent Thanksgiving there.
      You can drive on the beach almost all around it, with a 2WD vehicle. At dead
      low tide exposed sand bars limit the kiting area. There is camping at the
      waters edge. It is the perfect spot for beginners because it is only 1/2
      mile in diameter, so you wash ashore very guickly if you fail to relaunch
      the kite.

      Dwight

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 26, 1999
        If you're going more south than Jacksonville, Here around Tampa there are
        many good spots to kitesurf from shallow inland bays like Tierra Verde to
        open ocean kitesurfing on our local gulf beaches.
        Email me if you want more exact locations.
        PEACE&WIND
        Josh Young
      • Michel Montmigny
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 27, 1999
          Hello,

          I dont know very well Fla spots, but I went there on the West and East coast
          2 weeks ago , and there is a very easy nice spot to learn on the West coast.
          Just near "Skyway Bridge" . Easy to take off and not too much wave. Shallow
          water and good on East wind.

          Good luck.

          Michel Montminy
          http://www.conceptair.com
          201 bld Tadoussac
          Canton-Tremblay, Qc
          G7H 5A8
          Tél : (418) 545-8368
          Fax : (418) 545-2288
          Please share your recommendation for kitesurfing sites in Florida. Are
          there any spots similar to Cape Hatteras sound: wide open and shallow!
          I'm interested in sites with large shallow areas as I am a beginner.
          Wind around 10-15mph. I'd like to head to warm FLA for a week or so to
          work on my kitesurfing, b/c it's frigid here on Cape Cod.

          Thanks very much.

          -Jimbo

          eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf
        • rick nelson
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 27, 1999
            Michel, do you recall the town or city nearest Skyway Bridge?

            Michel Montmigny wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I dont know very well Fla spots, but I went there on the West and East coast
            > 2 weeks ago , and there is a very easy nice spot to learn on the West coast.
            > Just near "Skyway Bridge" . Easy to take off and not too much wave. Shallow
            > water and good on East wind.
          • Raul F Argilagos
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 28, 1999
              Hey Rick,
              The Skyway Bridge is at the mouth of Tampa Bay right next to
              St. Petersburg. If you go , don't miss out on Ft. Desoto Park
              also in St. Pete . This is on the ocean and can have great
              waves on a North or NW winds. I've been kiting alot there
              lately.
              Raul

              On Mon, 27 Dec 1999 11:41:23 -0800 rick nelson <rnnelso@...>
              writes:
              >Michel, do you recall the town or city nearest Skyway Bridge?
              >
              >Michel Montmigny wrote:
              >
              >> Hello,
              >>
              >> I dont know very well Fla spots, but I went there on the West and
              >East coast
              >> 2 weeks ago , and there is a very easy nice spot to learn on the
              >West coast.
              >> Just near "Skyway Bridge" . Easy to take off and not too much wave.
              >Shallow
              >> water and good on East wind.

              >The only fruitcake at overstock.com is our manager.
              >He�s giving away a $20 coupon, plus our everyday Free Shipping.
              >Take advantage of the savings and selection now.
              >http://click.egroups.com/1/342/2/_/19/_/946348105

              >-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=kitesurf&m=1

              Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
            • O1withwind@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 28, 1999
                In a message dated 12/27/99 9:28:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                rnnelso@... writes:

                > Michel, do you recall the town or city nearest Skyway Bridge?
                The Skyway Bridge links St petersburg with Bradenton. Michel was probably
                talking about Ft Desoto county park, a great place to kitesurf, or posably
                Tierra Verde, a big shallow bay near the south tip of St pete.
                PEACE&WIND
                Josh Young
                Tampa's only kitesurfer
              • Michel Montmigny
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 28, 1999
                  It's on Tampa bay, near St-Pete beach, I think , I am not sure.

                  Michel Montminy
                  http://www.conceptair.com
                  201 bld Tadoussac
                  Canton-Tremblay, Qc
                  G7H 5A8

                • EdwinTack@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 1, 2000
                    I just came from Florida. There is a huge beach front as far as you can see
                    on both sides of the bridge so you can launch regardless of wind direction in
                    Clearwater; the name of the beach is Clearwater Beach. There is also a cool
                    beach I got to visit with the same set-up, plus a little inlet to practice in
                    in Tarpon Springs. I was unlucky enough to be present in 6 knots.
                  • O1withwind@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 3, 2000
                      In a message dated 1/1/00 5:47:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, EdwinTack@...
                      writes:

                      > I just came from Florida. There is a huge beach front as far as you can
                      see
                      > on both sides of the bridge so you can launch regardless of wind direction
                      > in
                      > Clearwater; the name of the beach is Clearwater Beach. There is also a
                      cool

                      > beach I got to visit with the same set-up, plus a little inlet to practice
                      > in
                      > in Tarpon Springs. I was unlucky enough to be present in 6 knots.
                      Hi there,
                      It is Ilegal to kitesurf in clearwater and if cought you will get a hefty
                      fine. St pete is better, the beaches are also huge but no tickets.
                      PEACE&WIND
                      Josh Young
                    • Rick
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 3, 2000
                        Hello Josh,

                        Clearwater is the first beach in Florida where I have heard that kitesurfing
                        has been banned. Do you know when and why it was banned?

                        Rick

                      • O1withwind@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 4, 2000
                          rick@... writes:

                          > Hello Josh,
                          >
                          > Clearwater is the first beach in Florida where I have heard that
                          kitesurfing
                          > has been banned. Do you know when and why it was banned?
                          >
                          > Rick

                          It wasn't banned there, Clearwater allows no windsurfing from their beaches
                          over nearly their entire beach. There is only people swiming area.
                          Clearwater allows no powered watersports, wind powered or otherwise within
                          100meters of the shore.
                          PEACE&WIND
                          Josh Young