[ksurf] Re: overpowered

  • Ken Winner
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 1999
      From: Dr. Stan Schiller <eyedr@...>
      > QUESTION: YOU ARE FLYING PRETTY
      > FAST ON A REACH AND THE WIND PICKS
      > UP, SO YOU EDGE HARDER AND ALL OF
      > A SUDDEN YOU ARE GOING MACH SPEED,
      > WHILE TRYING TO LOWER THE KITE NEAR
      > THE EDGE OF THE WINDOW.......
      > I WOULD LIKE TO SLOW DOWN TO A MORE
      > COMFORTABLE SPEED BUT I AM NOT ABLE
      > TO REACH THE EDGE OF THE WINDOW,,,....

      It's a common problem, particularly with Wipikas. Not as bad
      with a Naish or foil. One solution is to ride a small,
      well-balanced board and be a really good rider (e.g., Lou or
      Elliot). Another is to rig your kite with four lines. That
      way you can sheet out and dump power when the gusts hit. The
      other solution -- the one I used for a time -- is to just
      not get going more than a few knots in board speed when
      there's a chance you may be overpowered in a gust.

      You have to anticipate gusts and counter their effect (by
      edging hard) before they can accelerate you one little bit.
      You end up riding a knife edge between too slow and too
      fast, and believe me when I say you have to go very slowly.

      KW
      www.kenwinner.com