[ksurf] Re: Loops

  • Ken Winner
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 1999
      From: <Greg.Walsh@...>
      > In the meantime, how about tricks where the pilot does a
      rotation (either
      > a spin or a flip) and flies the kite through the same
      rotation. Tight
      > lines, no twists and powered up the whole way through.

      Greg,

      You have high standards. Last July I saw Dez Walsh
      (instructor for Naish Hawaii in Kailua) do a flip with the
      sort of kite rotation you describe. Total accident, though.
      He was riding a Naish AR3.5 in four-line mode. I think it
      turned more quickly than he was expecting.

      KW
      www.kenwinner.com
    • greg.walsh@dhs.vic.gov.au
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 1999
        I don't mean to denigrate the skills of the people pushing the envelope
        of what can be done on a kiteboard. I applaud them all and I would be
        happy to just planing along on the same bit of water as them, let alone
        attempting spins and loops.

        But I do think we haven't begun to explore the potential of what can be
        done on a kiteboard. Most sports seem to take 10-15 years of popular
        development before people start thinking outside the square of what
        went before. I can't wait to see maneuvers that are pure kitesurf. I
        suspect people will learn to be comforable with what we currently
        consider to be out of control and then they'll go nuts. I'm hoping
        someone will come back with tales of their outside orbits and pendulum
        spirals and nose first reverse landings and toe-side back flip gybes.
        Perhaps Des Walsh will think that if I do my spin and tug the bar just
        so I can do the spinny thing just in the power zone in complete control.

        Greg
        BTW Nice video. I hope someone produces a foil version soon.

        "ken winner" <k-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=7528
        > From: <Greg.Walsh@...>
        > > In the meantime, how about tricks where the pilot does a
        > rotation (either
        > > a spin or a flip) and flies the kite through the same
        > rotation. Tight
        > > lines, no twists and powered up the whole way through.
        >

        > Greg,
        >
        > You have high standards. Last July I saw Dez Walsh
        > (instructor for Naish Hawaii in Kailua) do a flip with the
        > sort of kite rotation you describe. Total accident, though.
        > He was riding a Naish AR3.5 in four-line mode. I think it
        > turned more quickly than he was expecting.
        >
        > KW
        > www.kenwinner.com

      • Michael Kassal
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 1999
          Greg.....all this is going on in Maui right now.  Thats why I am getting my butt back there a.s.a.p.

          The videos avail right now do not show anything yet.  No videos avail right now to the public... that really show the potential.  Best video so far is the airush video...maybe airush will make is avail to public sometime....but right now nothing else compares.

          For example.....

          ***and nose first reverse landings***  thats already a Flash trademark move....he does them all day. He rides a rrdi board ....sold in the US by some windsurf company called winddance I believe... that has a square nose.  2-Strap Board with them placed right down the center line.  He can ride either way quite fast.  He can slide the board around a 180 while riding at low speeds.  The board is narrow so he can really lay down and carve.....sort of like snowboarders using carving boots.  I would like to get my hands on one.

          ***and toe-side back flips... gybes.***  thats a Wainman move.  He does them often.  Looks cool.  Also looks hard to do.
          But I agree.....when or if anyone ever figures out how...using the kite for additional arial tricks once in the air.....it could will be a whole new ballgame.

          -M
        • Ken Winner
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 1999
            From: <greg.walsh@...>
            > BTW Nice video. I hope someone produces a foil version
            soon.

            Working on it. Should be out in March.

            KW
            www.kenwinner.com
          • Michel Montmigny
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 10, 1999
              Do you mean tha pilot have been at 30m high by the way???

              if you are talking about a real loop while pilot and rig are turning
              around???

              Maybe I misted something , I just comeback from Florida.

              Michel Montminy
              http://www.conceptair.com
              201 bld Tadoussac
              Canton-Tremblay, Qc