[ksurf] Re: Bridling of Mosquito Pro

  • Steve Bateman
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 1999
      Antonio Lage wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I just got my new Mosquito Pro Ks 7,5
      > I didn't fly it yet, but one thing got my attention. It's got cross-bridling!
      > Can someone out there explain the advantages of cross-bridling a kite? Is
      > it more prone to tangles? This is a 4 line kite, but if I use it with 2
      > lines the cross-bridling will make it better/worse?

      Cross bridling gives better two line control of the kite. A little more
      prone to tangles, but not much more. It will fly in 2 line mode, but as
      has been discussed quite often here, 4 lines is safest. And easiest.
      And contray to what some folks will say here, 4 lines will give you a
      little bit more pull.

      I have the entire set of Mosquitio Pros (non-KS). Great kites.

      --
      Steve Bateman geokite at sprintmail dot com
    • O1withwind@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 1999
        Antonio,
        That should work fine. Just don't try a drop one line method, or ever fly
        with two lines you'll quickly find the only way to depower that kite is at
        the brakes.
        PEACE&WIND
        Josh Young

        In a message dated 12/1/99 10:14:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        alage@... writes:

        > I just got my new Mosquito Pro Ks 7,5
        > I didn't fly it yet, but one thing got my attention. It's got
        cross-bridling!

        > Can someone out there explain the advantages of cross-bridling a kite? Is
        > it more prone to tangles? This is a 4 line kite, but if I use it with 2
        > lines the cross-bridling will make it better/worse?
        > The kite came with a 4 line control bar, with handles attached to the ends
        > swiveling independently, but no provision for any type of quick release. I
        > will try to make one of the many proposed in this list (the one proposed by
        > Michel) some time ago. A wrist velcro with 2 lines going each to a brake
        > leader line. If I let go of the bar the lines will pull the brake lines
        > evenly and, for what I read in this list, this will kill the kite for sure.
        > Is that right??
        >
        > Thanks for any help,
        >
        > Antonio Lage
        > http://www.flysurfing.com.br

      • David Phillips
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 1999

          For best effect you want the safety line to pull the brake lines UNevenly.  I think Michel said 2' on one line and 4' on the other.  Still under consideration in this group is what to do if you are hooked into a harness, in which case a released bar (handles) is not pulled away to activate the safety.
           --David
          ----------
          David M. Phillips  dphillips@...
          RFD & Associates  (512) 347-9411 x 128
          Austin, Texas

          Antonio Lage <alage@...>

          12/01/99 09:15 PM
          Please respond to kitesurf

                  To:        kitesurf@egroups.com
                  cc:
                  Subject:        [ksurf] Bridling of Mosquito Pro

          <snip>
          The kite came with a 4 line control bar, with handles attached to the ends
          swiveling independently, but no provision for any type of quick release. I
          will try to make one of the many proposed in this list (the one proposed by
          Michel) some time ago. A wrist velcro with 2 lines going each to a brake
          leader line. If I let go of the bar the lines will pull the brake lines
          evenly and, for what I read in this list, this will kill the kite for sure.
          Is that right??
          <snip>

        • Antonio Lage
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 1999

            At 08:43 02-12-99 EST, you wrote:
            >Antonio,
            >That should work fine. Just don't try a drop one line method, or ever fly
            >with two lines you'll quickly find the only way to depower that kite is at
            >the brakes.
            >PEACE&WIND
            >Josh Young

            Josh, the brake leader line is about 30 cm, plus the handles another 30 cm.
            If I let go of the bar the back lines will be pulled +- 60 cm and the front
            lines will go away +- the same amount. Do you think this is enough to fully
            depower a 7.5 kite? (hope I was clear in my poor english).
            Thanks,
            Antonio

            P.S. The company website recomends running a line to one brake.I don't want
            to argue with then, but I know (by coutless posts in this list) that this
            will NOT depower the kite, but most probably put it into a spin...
          • Antonio Lage
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 1999
              At 15:34 02-12-99 GMT, you wrote:

              > I think Michel said 2' on one line and 4' on the other. Still under
              >consideration in this group is what to do if you are hooked into a harness,
              >in which case a released bar (handles) is not pulled away to activate the
              >safety.
              > --David
              > ----------
              > dphillips@...
              >& (512) 347-9411 x 128
              > Austin, Texas

              Thanks Dave, but for what I understood Michel said 2' and 4' to conpensate
              for the lines being attached to left/right hand so the lines would pull the
              brakes even. Pulling uneven wouldn't put the kite into a spin? I have zero
              experience with 4 line foils and want to practice a lot next weekend.
              Thanks again,

              Antonio
              http://www.flysurfing.com.br
            • kinsley@xtremebigair.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 1999
                I recommend attach the two brake bridle together to one line and
                configure the Mosquito as a three lines kite. This is the best as you
                can flip the kite back to its ready to launch position anytime by
                grabbing the middle,third,brake line and pull it in.
                See my web site for instruction of how to set it up:
                http://XtremeBigAir.com
                Cheers,
                Kinsley.

                antonio lage <alag-@...> wrote:
                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=7546
                > >> A wrist velcro with 2 lines going each to a brake
                > >> leader line. If I let go of the bar the lines will pull the brake
                lines
                > >> evenly and, for what I read in this list, this will kill the kite
                for
                > sure.
                > >> Is that right??
                > >>
                > >> Thanks for any help,
                > >>
                > >> Antonio Lage
                > >> http://www.flysurfing.com.br
                > >>
                > At 08:43 02-12-99 EST, you wrote:
                > >Antonio,
                > >That should work fine. Just don't try a drop one line method, or
                ever fly
                > >with two lines you'll quickly find the only way to depower that kite
                is at
                > >the brakes.
                > >PEACE&WIND
                > >Josh Young
                > >

                > Josh, the brake leader line is about 30 cm, plus the handles another
                30 cm.
                > If I let go of the bar the back lines will be pulled +- 60 cm and the
                front
                > lines will go away +- the same amount. Do you think this is enough to
                fully
                > depower a 7.5 kite? (hope I was clear in my poor english).
                > Thanks,
                > Antonio
                >
                > P.S. The company website recomends running a line to one brake.I
                don't want
                > to argue with then, but I know (by coutless posts in this list) that
                this
                > will NOT depower the kite, but most probably put it into a spin...
              • Stan Schiller
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 2, 1999
                  Antonio Lage wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I just got my new Mosquito Pro Ks 7,5
                  > I didn't fly it yet, but one thing got my attention. It's got cross-bridling!
                  > Can someone out there explain the advantages of cross-bridling a kite? Is
                  > it more prone to tangles? This is a 4 line kite, but if I use it with 2
                  > lines the cross-bridling will make it better/worse?
                  > The kite came with a 4 line control bar, with handles attached to the ends
                  > swiveling independently, but no provision for any type of quick release. I
                  > will try to make one of the many proposed in this list (the one proposed by
                  > Michel) some time ago. A wrist velcro with 2 lines going each to a brake
                  > leader line. If I let go of the bar the lines will pull the brake lines
                  > evenly and, for what I read in this list, this will kill the kite for sure.
                  > Is that right??
                  >
                  > Thanks for any help,
                  >
                  > Antonio Lage
                  > http://www.flysurfing.com.br
                  > HI ANTONIO
                  WHY NOT FLY AND GET USED TO THE BRAKES!!!!!!!!
                  THATS what they do on east coast according to Art @ Foxwater sports. I
                  am hoping you will fly the kite with the bar on 4 lines and then let me
                  know how it goes, I think you need a leash attached to only 1 brake line
                  and that will brake the kite..... PLease let me know how it goes, I have
                  a 5.5 like yours, but its been 25-30 knots everyday, so I have not used
                  my 5.5 yet, ( I have used 4.0 everyday)
                  Please let me know how your kite is with the brakes, and tell me about
                  your release system

                  STAN Kauai

                  PS I am going to try and get used to the brakes when the wind lets up!!!!

                • O1withwind@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 3, 1999
                    Antonio,
                    I generaly recomend having the safety leash go to both brake lines that way
                    if you have to dump the handles the kite will usualy just stop in midair and
                    flip on its back. I recomend you try a few different ways to depower on a
                    not too windy day and see what works best for you.
                    PEACE&WIND
                    Josh Young

                  • windtools@t-online.de
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 6, 1999
                      Dear Stan,
                      the advantage of the cross bridle is, that the kite doesn´t get bended
                      in the middle if you pull on one side. With this system the kite keeps
                      the shape.
                      If you want to use the kite in a 2-line mode, no problem.

                      regards, Michael