[ksurf] Re: Upside down submarine ride

  • kmeder@home.com
    Message 1 of 50 , Dec 1, 1999
      "ken winner" <k-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=7515

      > From: <kmeder@...>
      > > Stan, my quick release is the original HPL and the wrist
      > leash is only
      > > 18" long, so you can easily activate it even if you are
      > hooked in.
      > > I think the main reason most people are getting away from
      > this type of
      > > release system is it completely releases one of the lines
      > and you have
      > > to swim around in order to find the linet and get it
      > re-attached.
      > > I've attached a 1/8" bungie line to the ring that attaches
      > the line to
      > > the quick release and then tied the other end to the end
      > of the
      > > opposite lead line. This should make it very easy to
      > retrieve the
      > > released line when needed.
      >
      > This arrangement certainly makes finding the loose line
      > easier. The problem is that when you try to re-attach the
      > loose kite line, the kite will tend to power up long before
      > you're ready for it to.
      >
      > KW
      > www.kenwinner.com

      Ken, I guess it really depends on the conditions you are sailing in and
      why you had to activate the quick release. If you are getting
      completely over-powered and are being yanked out of control, you might
      just want to wind in the kite, deflate the leading edge, roll the kite
      up and paddle in. Having the loose line attached with the bungee line
      makes it much easier to wind it in and you have less of a chance of it
      getting tangled or you getting tangled in the line.
      If the wind is marginal and you activated the release by mistake,
      couldn't you just pull the kite to you with the attached line to get
      some slack and then attach the loose line without the kite powering up
      before you are ready?

      Keith
    • SeanCMurph@aol.com
      Message 50 of 50 , Dec 6, 1999