[ksurf] Knee Board Starts

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 1999
      Read a post recently about Kite surfing w/ knbee boards. My question for
      any that do it is how you manage to start? When I've kneeboarded behind a
      boat I alsways start on my belly then pull up to knees. Can't see how that
      would work with a kite. Do you start on knees strapped in? How do you
      nmanage with one hand. Would love a complete description. TIA

      Steve Swartz
      Carson City, Nevada USA
      steverite@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 1999
        I've used 2 knee boards to kitesurf with there both very different
        heres why

        the first is a large blow moulded ABS/poly board with 2 retractable
        fins this has to be launched form the beach and then get draged into
        the water & off you go, you cant water start this board its got too
        much volume, keeping it strapped on results in you floating upside
        down, which is not very healthy, so that board only gets used at the
        big tidal pool on one of our favorite beaches, its ok to learn on
        because it will plane so slowly but it does have limits so we stay
        inside them

        the second board (& the best) is a full on slalom board with neutral
        boyancy and this you can water start, it takes some practice but its
        quite possable to float upright strapped to the board, we've got to the
        point where we can wade out get the board on & water start (ive been
        knee boarding for 4 years so i've had some practice floating around
        with it )most of the time though it gets beach started, one of the
        benifits of surfing in the tidal pool is that you can always launch
        going down wind and its only 4 feet deep so no worrys if you ditch it

        the next stage & winter project will be a neutral boyancy board,
        slightly longer than a usual knee board with less center rocker & a
        couple of fin boxes, with such a low c of g we should be able to hold a
        largeish fin

        when this gets done i'll post some pics, i've got to get some
        decorating done first though ;-)

        Steve

        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=7520