[ksurf] Re: Loops

  • Greg.Walsh@dhs.vic.gov.au
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 1999
      I don't think it is possible to do a loop when kitesurfing. I think a loop
      is when the entire rig, pilot, board, kite and all go through a vertical
      rotation. For style reasons you'd also want to have tight lines the whole
      way over. The more accurate term for kitesurfing is a somersault or a flip
      because only the pilot and board rotate. Hang gliders do loops. Sailboards
      do a loop (more or less). Even paragliders are now doing loops with tight
      lines the whole way over (as opposed to getting inverted and flopping past
      the wing on the way down.)

      As skillful as they are I think the current crop of tricks being done by
      kiteboarders don't really generate all that much excitement (on the video
      I've seen). The most exciting and inspiring things I've seen are the big
      floaty jumps. The spins and twists and waving about of of legs (Total
      Insanity 2) look like embellishments to me. Chris Calthrop has video of a
      nice double back flip starting and finishing on the wave face on his web
      site www.k48.com.

      Sailboard tricks didn't really take off (no pun intended) until forward
      loops were invented. I think kiteboard tricks won't really happen until
      people become skilled enough to do a jump then fly the kite into a second
      aerial maneuver. I believe Flash and the others are working on this at the
      moment. Full planing board 360's and pirouettes, tail first spinouts and
      stuff would be good to see. The few shots of kiteboards in the tube look
      good. Can't wait for the first full cover deep tube shot. Perhaps the
      leader lines cutting through the edge of the lip (would that work?). Yee
      hah!

      In the meantime, how about tricks where the pilot does a rotation (either
      a spin or a flip) and flies the kite through the same rotation. Tight
      lines, no twists and powered up the whole way through.

      Greg
    • Ken Winner
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 1999
        From: <Greg.Walsh@...>
        > In the meantime, how about tricks where the pilot does a
        rotation (either
        > a spin or a flip) and flies the kite through the same
        rotation. Tight
        > lines, no twists and powered up the whole way through.

        Greg,

        You have high standards. Last July I saw Dez Walsh
        (instructor for Naish Hawaii in Kailua) do a flip with the
        sort of kite rotation you describe. Total accident, though.
        He was riding a Naish AR3.5 in four-line mode. I think it
        turned more quickly than he was expecting.

        KW
        www.kenwinner.com
      • greg.walsh@dhs.vic.gov.au
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 1999
          I don't mean to denigrate the skills of the people pushing the envelope
          of what can be done on a kiteboard. I applaud them all and I would be
          happy to just planing along on the same bit of water as them, let alone
          attempting spins and loops.

          But I do think we haven't begun to explore the potential of what can be
          done on a kiteboard. Most sports seem to take 10-15 years of popular
          development before people start thinking outside the square of what
          went before. I can't wait to see maneuvers that are pure kitesurf. I
          suspect people will learn to be comforable with what we currently
          consider to be out of control and then they'll go nuts. I'm hoping
          someone will come back with tales of their outside orbits and pendulum
          spirals and nose first reverse landings and toe-side back flip gybes.
          Perhaps Des Walsh will think that if I do my spin and tug the bar just
          so I can do the spinny thing just in the power zone in complete control.

          Greg
          BTW Nice video. I hope someone produces a foil version soon.

          "ken winner" <k-@...> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=7528
          > From: <Greg.Walsh@...>
          > > In the meantime, how about tricks where the pilot does a
          > rotation (either
          > > a spin or a flip) and flies the kite through the same
          > rotation. Tight
          > > lines, no twists and powered up the whole way through.
          >

          > Greg,
          >
          > You have high standards. Last July I saw Dez Walsh
          > (instructor for Naish Hawaii in Kailua) do a flip with the
          > sort of kite rotation you describe. Total accident, though.
          > He was riding a Naish AR3.5 in four-line mode. I think it
          > turned more quickly than he was expecting.
          >
          > KW
          > www.kenwinner.com

        • Michael Kassal
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 1999
            Greg.....all this is going on in Maui right now.  Thats why I am getting my butt back there a.s.a.p.

            The videos avail right now do not show anything yet.  No videos avail right now to the public... that really show the potential.  Best video so far is the airush video...maybe airush will make is avail to public sometime....but right now nothing else compares.

            For example.....

            ***and nose first reverse landings***  thats already a Flash trademark move....he does them all day. He rides a rrdi board ....sold in the US by some windsurf company called winddance I believe... that has a square nose.  2-Strap Board with them placed right down the center line.  He can ride either way quite fast.  He can slide the board around a 180 while riding at low speeds.  The board is narrow so he can really lay down and carve.....sort of like snowboarders using carving boots.  I would like to get my hands on one.

            ***and toe-side back flips... gybes.***  thats a Wainman move.  He does them often.  Looks cool.  Also looks hard to do.
            But I agree.....when or if anyone ever figures out how...using the kite for additional arial tricks once in the air.....it could will be a whole new ballgame.

            -M
          • Ken Winner
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 1999
              From: <greg.walsh@...>
              > BTW Nice video. I hope someone produces a foil version
              soon.

              Working on it. Should be out in March.

              KW
              www.kenwinner.com
            • Michel Montmigny
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 10, 1999
                Do you mean tha pilot have been at 30m high by the way???

                if you are talking about a real loop while pilot and rig are turning
                around???

                Maybe I misted something , I just comeback from Florida.

                Michel Montminy
                http://www.conceptair.com
                201 bld Tadoussac
                Canton-Tremblay, Qc