[ksurf] Re: Upside down submarine ride

  • kmeder@home.com
    Message 1 of 50 , Dec 1, 1999
      Stan, my quick release is the original HPL and the wrist leash is only
      18" long, so you can easily activate it even if you are hooked in.
      I think the main reason most people are getting away from this type of
      release system is it completely releases one of the lines and you have
      to swim around in order to find the linet and get it re-attached.
      I've attached a 1/8" bungie line to the ring that attaches the line to
      the quick release and then tied the other end to the end of the
      opposite lead line. This should make it very easy to retrieve the
      released line when needed.
      Plus, when I land the kite by releasing the line it stays right in line
      with the other line and I can just wind them up together without the
      kite wanting to take off since one line is much longer than the other.

      Keith

      stan schiller <eyed-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=7509
> [...]
      > > > During an otherwise perfect sail on the weekend - I had a bad
      > > experience
      > > > where my front foot slipped out of it's strap - and I got
      catapulted
      > > over
      > > > the board in my harness. Somehow - I twisted in the air, and
      landed
      > > on my
      > > > back with my head looking back at the kite. I then went down
      under
      > > water
      > > > like an anchor - and had a very scary underwater ride. I tried to
      > > find my
      > > > quick release, but the force of the kite and speed I was going
      made it
      > > > impossible to reach. I think the fact that I was on my back made
      > > things
      > > > extra complicated, as (I just worked out) the kite would have been
      > > steering
      > > > in reverse?
      > > >
      > > > The thought *drowing* came to mind as I tried to look up through
      the
      > > water
      > > > to find either where the kite was in the window - or the quick
      > > release...
      > > > Eventually - I popped out again and saw my kite spinning with
      twisted
      > > lines
      > > > right in the power zone - and I was able to get it in the neutral
      > > position.
      > > > I got a hell of a fright from this - and my submarine ride that
      > > probrably
      > > > only lasted 5-10 seconds seemed like forever... A bit like being
      held
      > > > under by a big wave. What can you do in this situation other than
      try
      > > not
      > > > to panic?
      > > >
      > > > I would assume that after the first big power surge, you're
      usually
      > > going
      > > > to pop up within 10 seconds or so so you can at least get a
      breath...
      > > Is it
      > > > safe to make this assumption?
      > > >
      > > > Has anyone else had a similar experience? It seems obvious in
      > > retrospect
      > > > that I should have just hauled myself up towards the bar and
      unhooked
      > > - but
      > > > this didn't really seem possible at the time...
      > > >
      > > > this might have been a bizzare once off, or it might be the case
      that
      > > if
      > > > you don't panic, you get a chance to do something with the kite
      > > before you
      > > > swallow too much water...
      > > >
      > > > But if not - it might be worth developing a harness line with a
      quick
      > > > release on it. Has anyone tried this?
      > > >
      > > > Any ideas?
      > > >
      > > > David T
      > > DEAR>KEITH SORRY WRONG ANSWER, THE QUICK RELEASE cannot
      possibly release when you are hooked in . Thats the problem, we need a
      latch or some type of other release to kick in when YOU ARE HOOKED IN
      BECAUSE THE LEASH ON YOUR WRIST WILL NOT RELEASE, UNLESS YOUR ARMS ARE
      LONGER THAN *#%#*!!!!
      > WE ARE HOPING THAT A SOLUTION WILL BE HERE BEFORE THE THE TURN OF THE
      > CENTURY, AND IF THERE IS ONE I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT!!!!!!.I NEED
      IT

    • SeanCMurph@aol.com
      Message 50 of 50 , Dec 6, 1999
        buy a foil...