[ksurf] Re: How Much is involced ??

  • Lachlan Beed
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 1999
      Hi everyone

      I agree with Ian That kite flying ability will be the the thing that
      really counts.I am sailing upwind with virtual logs . I tried a board
      today that is a specifically designed kiteboard with fins a long way up
      the board which worked well and gave good grip but I must say that an
      old pintail that I picked up from the tip for free was not much worse.
      One thing that we do here and that I would suggest to any one is that
      if you cant afford a quiver of kites is to select one that will suit
      your weight for your prevailing conditions .I f the wind is too light
      for ksurfing grab a skateboard and head down to your local netball
      courts or deserted 6 lane free way for some great practice .As with
      flying any aircraft fly as often as you can.
      If you live in an area that has snow keep going thru winter with skis
      or snowboards .Its awesome and you"ll save on lift tickets(Stay away
      from resort
      lease areas its tempting to give em a show but they'll probably tell
      you to bugger off to somewhere else).

      All the best

      Lach (The Lach Dude)

      ian young <ianyoun-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=7496
      > > And how many boards is one person using ??
      >
      > I sometimes use a 1.75m board for high winds/ freestyle but mainly
      use my 2.1m
      > even in high winds and freestyle - the short board is no good in
      light winds.
      > I'm 82kg. I think your kite flying ability has much more impact than
      the type
      > of board or kite.
      >
      > > What is the life expectancy os the kite and the board
      >
      > I still have gear that is more than two years old (kites and boards),
      despite a
      > few repairs still goes good and I still use it.
      >
      > > or is the whole deal a hot potato with no good aftertaste and you
      are
      > > bored after a few months ??
      >
      > After two years I still get an adrenalin rush every time I go out! I
      can't see
      > how anyone could possible get bored with kite surfing!!!!!
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Ian Young
      >
      > WinDesigns Australia - Australia's First Kite Ski&Surf School
      > 9 Oliver St, Scarborough, WA, AUSTRALIA, 6019
      > Phone: +61 8 9245 4603
      > Fax: +61 8 9245 4657
      > Mobile: 0414 716 812
      > Email: IanYoung@...
      > Webpage: http://www.iinet.net.au/~ianyoung/

    • Steven Nenzel
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 1999
        ANCHORAGE ALASKA! Buddy, you forgot to add thermal under wear, three
        sweaters, a parka, snow boots, 3 pairs of socks and a pint of rum to keep
        the blood thin to your list of gear required.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 1999
          I agree with neptune in almost all that was said...

          I do, however, believe that any money saved by not having a set of lines and
          handles for each kite (i am speaking now only about foils -2 0r 4 line - i
          don't know from inflatables) will be offset by the hassles encountered at
          water's edge as conditions change.

          I have a set of lines attached to each of my 4-quad line power kites. Land
          the kite, hold the handles, and wind the line right up to the kite. Wrap the
          kite around the handles, put it in a bag...done...
          To launch, lay out the kite, unwind the lines, check for twists - few if you
          did it right - launch the kite...done...

          Changing lines is a pain in the a#%. There are times to change lines,
          shorter lines for tighter spaces and differing conditions. Todd Synder, oft
          most eloquently represented here on the egroup, prefers longer lines for
          jumping. So you'll end up changing lines enough without trying to save a few
          pennies by not having lines available for each kite.

          As for number of kites needed, plan on at least two to start -- base the size
          on the prevailing conditions where you intend to surf. Buy a third as soon
          as you need it. And as you improve fill in the gaps. I bought big kites
          first, because they cost more...$2500usd got me two kites and a custom
          directional board...wife said ok...now additional kites cost in the 'few
          hundreds' as opposed to the 'almost a thousands' range. Much easier to pass
          on the family budget...

          Now, of course, you still need a bunch of other stuff...harness, wet suit,
          PFD, boots, and many other little things that vary for person to person...

          I don't see how this sport and all the possible variations (snow, ice, sand,
          etc) could get boring, I only wish I could afford to follow the eternal
          summer...

          Now, as I sit in my hotel in Anchorage, Alaska (18 degrees F) listening to
          the 15 knt wind outside my window, I am pining for a snowboard...I'll let you
          know what happens...

          Sean
        • Stan Schiller
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 1999
            Eric Castelein wrote:

            > As a aspiring Kitesurfer, I am willing to sell my catamaran and a
            > second car in order to get into this young sport.
            > The question remains is how much is needed for the first year and
            > thereafter.
            > Is the demand so high that prices are too high; do you need 2 or3 or
            > more kites ????
            > And how many boards is one person using ??
            > What is the life expectancy os the kite and the board,
            > or is the whole deal a hot potato with no good aftertaste and you are
            > bored after a few months ??
            >
            > what is your opinion ??
            >
            > Eric
            >
            > ITS FRICKIN AWESOME AND I GUESS IT DEPENDS WHERE YOU LIVE, NO IT DOES NOT GET BORING, IT GETS BETTER AND BETTER, ASK THE PROS.....
            You can pick up a nice used kite for 500 and a new board for 500, keep
            watching this e-group for equipment, go to the beach and get a lesson
            and download the manual from HUNG,.. Kitesurf.com
            WATCH ALL OF KEN WINNERS POSTINGS AND GET HIS VIDEO ASAP.