[ksurf] loops?

  • burgy@talk21.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 1999
      After a hectic days flying, myself & the usual crew were discusing
      tricks 'n' tips etc, when this one came up, when does a loop become a
      spin & a spin become a loop?
      we checked the triple loop posted in the group & the guys feet only
      just get higher than the harness point, let alone above his head.
      Now i'm not going to dis the rider in the film cause if i tryed that
      i'd end up in a mess in the water, but is he looping or just spinning?
      and has any one managed to perform a compleatly inverted loop? if so
      how?
      The closest any of us have come to it was on a knee board, side shore &
      using your speed rather that the lift of the kite to get air off the
      wave.

      PS knee boards rule, no swapping sides, spins like a dervish & 3 foot
      waves feel head hight. but it does get testing in chop

      cheers Steve
    • b_merkenhof@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 1999
        Loopsters,

        I have been very interested in your theories of loops and what
        actually constitues one. I do beleive that there are a couple of
        different loops and then of course there is the spin. The first loop
        which is the most impressive is the fully inverted loop. In windsurfing
        they call it the killer loop. To perform this loop is not difficult it
        just takes timing and big Kahunas. The kite can be in 2 different
        positions. the first is the neutral position. YES beleive it or not.
        EXCEPT the wind on this day has to be very strong. The kite, 8.5 wipika
        on the day was fully powered up pulling me directly down wind and a
        peice of chop was there and I couldn't help it. I had to try and wash
        off some speed some how. The Lauc Dude will vouch for it.
        The NEXT WAY of of doing an inverted loop is to head slightly down wind
        and pull the kite through the power zone as you would a normal jump. NB
        do this on the way up your launch ramp. When launching on this jump
        straighten your back leg and arch your back. <i>NB only do using a
        waist harness</i> When you straighten your back leg, slide the board on
        a continuous drive with your strait leg. This will initiate your
        Virtical Spin. When your are upside down start looking for your
        landing. You may have to tuck up a bit if your running behind on your
        rotation, OR, what can easily happen. OVER ROTATION. It is fun but it
        can brake ribs.

        The other type of loop is when you continue to spin on a point. The
        point is like some one has stuck spear through your stomach.

        If you spin on the axis of your spine it is a spin not a loop.

        Loopy

        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=7500